• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News Conor McGregor just received his BJJ-blackbelt

Are McGregor’s BJJ-skills blackbelt worthy?

• Total voters
It's probably pretty legit..

Especially khabib but also nate are not your average grapplers.. tapping to them in mma doesn't really mean much..

People will ofcourse bitch and moan because it's conor but he's pretty much held his own in most situations and while he's no maia or jacare he's most likely a bjj gym black belt..

Mighty Mouse still brown belt though. Conor would be blue belt under Matt Hume.

There are plenty of hobbyist-level BBs that get a black belt for punching the clock for 10-12 years and making a slow grind upward over time to something resembling a black belt, even if they would get handled by younger, hyper-competitive purples/browns, monster non-belted guys like Khabib/Islam, etc...

The idea that a pro MMA fighter who has 15 (?) years of training doesn't have the mat time required to pass that standard is a little silly. In terms of pure technical knowledge, service, being able to teach others, etc...there is no way for anyone here to know that.

Based on time he has trained sure why not.
Being a black belt does not mean you are subbing everybody.
People have gotten black belts by training 3-4 times a week as hobbyists.
Why would Conor not get the BB based on the same standards?
Dude has put in more time (I assume) than the average mom/pop black belt.

I see no problem with this at all.

Remember back in the day that BJJ Black Belts could only be handed out by a very select few and they were very decorated. Now adays it seems like any coach can give out a black belt.. they seem to be passed around like confetti. How does one get a BJJ black belt when they have never competed in any BJJ competitions and have no history whatsoever of grappling and submissions.

There is no such thing as work in the gym, you have to go and prove it to be a BJJ black belt and COMPETE at a very high level. Well I can assure you thats how it used to be!!, but these days seems like any random investor who just opened their bro science gym can hand them out.

I can hear Rogan now if he ever fights again "He's a BJJ Black Belt! You have to take him seriously on the ground now. KO power in both hands, and his ability to submit you anywhere!"

Fake belt for a even bigger fraud of a fighter.
He has been a brown belt since forever so it was expected. Not all black belts are equal, he's obviously no Demian Maia, but also no slouch on the ground. That's just an objective perspective.

Got submitted twice in MMA, never submitted anybody.
Never competed in BJJ, gets BJJ black belt. Yes, seems legit

<36>

Back