Conor McGregor explains why hes not afraid to go to the ground with Nate

Ar145984

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...red-to-go-to-the-ground-with-nate-diaz-081116

Cliff:
When Conor McGregor tapped out to a rear naked choke in the second round of his fight with Nate Diaz at UFC 196, the immediate reaction was that the Irishman needed to brush up on his ground game.
After taking some hard shots on the feet, McGregor went for an ill advised takedown that ended with Diaz in the mount, raining down shots on him from above.
To avoid the punches, McGregor rolled to his belly and a few seconds later Diaz had his forearms wrapped around the neck and the tap came just seconds later.

Diaz is a highly decorated Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt so it's not a shock that he won by submission, but McGregor says the ground game had nothing to do with why he got finished with that rear naked choke.

In fact, McGregor points out an earlier exchange on the mat from round one to showcase how comfortable he could be against Diaz if the rematch goes to the ground.

"I’m confident in my jiu-jitsu. Nate is very skilled on the mat. I don’t think the difference between us in that fight was the jiu-jitsu, I think it was the durability and endurance. The experience. I think that was the difference," McGregor said recently on the UFC 202 media conference call.

McGregor knows deep down inside that he's not inefficient on the mat and he certainly doesn't feel outclassed by Diaz if the second fight hits the ground.
McGregor's head coach John Kavanagh is a very experienced Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner and to ensure that he's truly prepared for Diaz's submission game, he brought in a slew of new training partners including grappling ace Dillon Danis.

[http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/dillon-danis]

Dillon Danis is a Brazilian jiu jitsu black belt under Marcelo Garcia, being part of a fruitful generation of grapplers produced by the well respected Alliance New York academy head coach. Dillon Danis made a name for himself during his 2014 brown belt campaign, through his incredible performances in some of jiu jitsu’s hardest tournaments by showcasing a forward motion, crowd pleasing style which brought him worldwide recognition in the sport. In 2016 Danis’ accomplishments led Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter and Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) star Conor McGregor to hire Dillon’s services as his main grappling partner ahead of UFC 202 ‘Diaz vs. McGregor 2’ event
  • World Champion (2014*: brown)
  • Abu Dhabi World Pro Champion (2014: brown)
  • World No Gi Champion (2014* weight & absolute: brown)
  • Pan American Champion (2014* weight & absolute, 2013*: brown)
  • Pan American No Gi Champion (2014* weight & absolute, 2013*: brown)
  • New York Summer Open Champion (2014* weight & absolute: brown)
  • New York Spring Open Champion (2015* absolute: brown)
  • Boca Raton International Open Champion (2015: black)
  • New York Spring Open 2nd Place (2015: brown)
  • Pan American No Gi Championship 3rd Place (2013 absolute: brown, 2012: purple)
*Closed out with team mate

McGregor has confidence in the mat skills he possessed before the first fight with Diaz, but with the rematch carrying so much importance — he's not leaving anything to chance.
"I am confident on the mat with Nate," McGregor said. "After that, I’ve brought in heavier people, more experienced jiu-jitsu people to come and push me daily.

"So I’ll be experienced for the jiu-jitsu and the later rounds also."

"When we were both fresh, I ended up on the mat. He caught that kick, He did that takedown he does and I swept him. So I was on top controlled in the first round. He tried to triangle, I stopped that, looked to pass. He looked to tangle up the legs and I was landing shots."

A SMALL QUOTE FOR YOU ALL:

“All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when we are able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must appear inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near.”

-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Last edited:
Thats a bad idea.

ui5mSpA.gif

Please shoot for the TD in the first 5 seconds Conor....

Well this will make for a hell of a fight if he really believes he can both stand and go to the ground with Nate.

And Conor is precisely confident enough to believe this.

More shockingly, this is one of those rare scenarios where the man might just possibly prove his estimation of himself and his abilities correct. I'm really hyped for this....

I agree with his assessment. Round 1 there was a grappling exchange and Conor ended up with top position raining down shots. He lost the fight because Diaz landed a 1-2 that wobbles Conor and it whent down hill from there.

It doesn't matter, he's gonna get boxed up on the feet again....then owned on the mat again.

You don't bridge that gap in BJJ skills in just a few months.

These guys at SBG better speak less about how good they are here and there. Extremely annoying.

Just get yourself in the octagon and should how good you are this time. In case you win, talk all you want.

You don't bridge that gap in BJJ skills in just a few months.

youd be surprised, lots of low-BJJ level wrestlers bridged the gap between gracie in the early days by learning a couple of sub defenses.

I agree with his assessment. Round 1 there was a grappling exchange and Conor ended up with top position raining down shots. He lost the fight because Diaz landed a 1-2 that wobbles Conor and it whent down hill from there.

He also passed Nate's guard and got side control, nobody talks about this.

TS is starting to show some improvement .... instead of creating 10s of Conors threads , he is toning it down to just a few per day.

TS is starting to show some improvement .... instead of creating 10s of Conors threads , he is toning it down to just a few per day.
He gassed out. Should have managed his energy more efficiently leading up to the fight.

"I also would like to dominate him [Nate] on the mat. I think his jiu-jitsu is overrated. I think he has no positional dominance... no positional understanding at all... He will abandon position and end up on his back or end up in a scramble. So I feel like, if he is still conscious when he hits the deck, I will crush his hips, pass his guard and mount him. And then either pound him out or choke."

- Conor McGregor

People really think he can beat an excellent black belt like Nate on the mat? Wheres the logic in this? Do you really think you can cover the gaps to become better than someone that trains for 10+ years in few months? are you serious?

He grabbed the fence to maintain his position (read: cheated) and was in a world of danger in Nate's guard. Nate has tapped multiple black belts, you don't want anything to do with him on the ground unless you are also a world class MMA adapted grappler.

He will get murked if he tries that, and he knows it. He's just bellowing some hot air from his cakehole.

His only chance is to keep this standing and hope to either outpoint, or stop Nate on the feet.

Back