Conor is the 1st two weight champ only...

Dan henderson doesn't count. He's 0-2 in ufc title shots...he has no titles...He was a big fish in a little pond...when he moved to a bigger pond, he got crushed....

Well, CRUSHED is a bit of an exaggeration. Defeated and old, sure, but the "crushed" didn't really happen till DC and thereafter.

His fight with Rampage was competitive and he put up a decent fight against Anderson.

Well, CRUSHED is a bit of an exaggeration. Defeated and old, sure, but the "crushed" didn't really happen till DC and thereafter.

His fight with Rampage was competitive and he put up a decent fight against Anderson.

He was choked out in the 2nd round against Anderson...that's not a competitive fight....Ok, it was competitive for 1 round...I'll give you that..haha....and against rampage, he was beat decisively. I remember henderson actually getting out grappled by rampage, of all people. Which goes to show how over rated his wrestling was.

GSP had all the opportunity in the world to be a multi-weight champion and turned it down.

Blame lack of ambition; not lack of opportunity, asshole.

He's the 1st 2 weight champ because he was gifted a title shot. imagine in the history of the ufc if every champ got an immediate title shot in the weight class above them. there would have been others 2 weight champs. plus hes only a champ fighting 10 lbs apart from each division. bj penn being a natural featherweight, winning the welterweight title is far more impressive to me. Flame on mcnuthuggers
let us not forget that Dana did not Allow Aldo to do just that.
he demanded Aldo relinquish his FW belt before moving up. this is why Aldo didn't get two belts.

He's the 1st 2 weight champ because he was gifted a title shot. imagine in the history of the ufc if every champ got an immediate title shot in the weight class above them. there would have been others 2 weight champs. plus hes only a champ fighting 10 lbs apart from each division. bj penn being a natural featherweight, winning the welterweight title is far more impressive to me. Flame on mcnuthuggers

what other 2 weight champs would there have been? GSP loses to Anderson, Jones loses to Stipe, Mighty Mouse already lost to Cruz, Garbrandt would lose to Max or Aldo

Gifted title shots?
Vitor vs Bones
Chael vs Bones
Hendo vs Bisping 2
Bisping vs Rockhold
Penn vs Hughes 1
Penn vs GSP 1
Do I need to keep going?

GSP had all the opportunity in the world to be a multi-weight champion and turned it down.

Blame lack of ambition; not lack of opportunity, asshole.

I'm not sure when GSP got offered the Andy fight for the first time, but I imagine he had built a decent legacy by winning the belt twice and then defending it multiple times at that point.
So he had a lot more to lose than Conor who hasn't even defended his belt once and had little to lose and tons to gain.
Winning against Andy surely would have elevated Georges' GOAT status, but even without it he's the undeniable WW GOAT and at least top 5 P4P according in most people's lists.
Losing on the other hand would have hurt his legacy and people would've shit on him so hard. Dominating WW due to his size, weak opposition, all that.

So I can definitely see why he was hesitant to take the fight. Not the "anyone, any weight" attitude we all like, but I don't hold it against him.
I hope you see that Conor's situation was very different from Georges'.

I'm not sure when GSP got offered the Andy fight for the first time, but I imagine he had built a decent legacy by winning the belt twice and then defending it multiple times at that point.
So he had a lot more to lose than Conor who hasn't even defended his belt once and had little to lose and tons to gain.
Winning against Andy surely would have elevated Georges' GOAT status, but even without it he's the undeniable WW GOAT and at least top 5 P4P according in most people's lists.
Losing on the other hand would have hurt his legacy and people would've shit on him so hard. Dominating WW due to his size, weak opposition, all that.

So I can definitely see why he was hesitant to take the fight. Not the "anyone, any weight" attitude we all like, but I don't hold it against him.
I hope you see that Conor's situation was very different from Georges'.

So which is it?

Defend the belt first and then move up?

Or just move up?

You're making excuses for GSP and also diminishing Conor's ambition for actually choosing to make the move which Georgie evaded his entire career.

well you are correct with Penn. he was not allowed to hold his title and there was no FW division. I do think we can aknowledge Penn as the true first multidivision champ in the UFC. Even more so as he defended his title.

But that does not take away from Conors sucess. Aldo could have also went up to 155 for years but didnt same with many other champs. There are not that many willing to risk everything.

Except he's proven he's legit time and time again.

You haters are fucking losers tbh. Too bad there are more of you on Sherdog than ever before.

Much worse than the nuthuggers.
You're equally as bad

So which is it?

Defend the belt first and then move up?

Or just move up?

You're making excuses for GSP and also diminishing Conor's ambition for actually choosing to make the move which Georgie evaded his entire career.

Weird question, there's no one right move. Different fighters, different situations. In Conor's case I'd say it was good he moved up immediately since he had brutal weight cuts.

Not really making excuses for GSP, just saying what I think his motivations were.

Weird question, there's no one right move. Different fighters, different situations. In Conor's case I'd say it was good he moved up immediately since he had brutal weight cuts.

Not really making excuses for GSP, just saying what I think his motivations were.

One thing is certain: from a promoter's perspective, Conor is a dream come true.

A charismatic fighter with an exciting style whom is willing to take risks.

It's the perfect storm which has rarely been found in history apart from greats such as Sakuraba, Wanderlei and Fedor.

Okay Fedor isn't exactly charismatic but he's the GOAT anyway.

He was choked out in the 2nd round against Anderson...that's not a competitive fight....Ok, it was competitive for 1 round...I'll give you that..haha....and against rampage, he was beat decisively. I remember henderson actually getting out grappled by rampage, of all people. Which goes to show how over rated his wrestling was.

I've been saying it for years, Hendo's TDD is not that hot. Part of that had to do with him going up against LHW's for his entire career, but he has been taken down a lot for a guy with his wrestling pedigree. Lindland was another example of that.

Getting taken down by Rampage back in the day is nothing to be ashamed of, though. That guy had amazing wrestling; it's just too bad he chose to entirely abandon it early on in his UFC career and become a pure striker. Mind you, I guess it worked out OKAY for him in the end...

You're totally right. It's so easy walking through champs in a higher weight class. Stipe better watch out cause mighty mouse is coming for that belt.

Conor works harder than anybody and he wasn't gifted anything. If it was easy to be the biggest draw in the UFC, everyone would do it.

Except he's proven he's legit time and time again.

You haters are fucking losers tbh. Too bad there are more of you on Sherdog than ever before.

Much worse than the nuthuggers.

Ironic that someone who has managed to rack up over 300 posts in 10 days is calling someone else a loser....

Aldo was never serious about going to Lightweight until now.

GSP always said Anderson was "too big".

Anderson thought Jones was too big.

Jones only teased going to HW.

Conor's been the only guy unitl now besides BJ Penn who's been serious as a champ about moving up.

Back