Alex Pereira is only the 6th LEGIT 2weight champ in MMA

ExitLUPin

K
@Steel
Reaction score
KOd Izzy who was undefeated @ MW and clear standing champ

KOd Jiri who was the real LHW champ. Had to vacate due to "injury" but was still there when Jamahal got a paper belt. Hadnt lost in 8 years and 13 fight win streak.

Other legit double champs

Randy - beat Mo Smith for HW title, beat Chuck for LHW title. Questionable case since the best LHW/HWs were in PRIDE so his LHW "title" is more like a Bellator title than beating the best

BJ - was clear no. 1 LW as champ, beat Gomi in Shooto back in day to cement in. Moved up and choked out Hughes who hadnt lost in years for WW title.

Hendo - beat Bustamante for MW title. Bustamante was last UFC MW champ before he left. His losses after came @ LHW. Then Hendo KOd Wand for LHW title. Wand one is questionable since many had Shogun/Arona as better than Wand by that point as Hunt and Mirko fights really ended his prime bad but he still had title.

GSP - WW champ, and Bisping as weak a champ as he was was the no. 1 MW

Conor - dethroned Aldo and Eddie while a weak champ was no.1 LW

Fake double champs

DC - beat Rumble for LHW title while no. 1 LHW Jon was active, never dethroned Jon. Paper champ LHW.

Jon - beat Gane for title while no. 1 Francis was active, never dethroned Francis. Paper champ HW.

Henry - robbery over Mighty Mouse for FLW title, then a vacant BW title against Marlon Moraes who was never no.1 BW

Considering Izzy was EASILY best MW in all of MMA and Jiri was LHW in all of MMA including fighters from other promotions Vadim has a good case but Jiri beat him. Alex double champ status is more impressive than most these guys since there was no question he beat THE guy to be THE guy.

jiri is a weak former champ. jones is the real heavy weight champ not his fault francis did not resign. Jones would have tapped ngannou

jiri is a weak former champ. jones is the real heavy weight champ not his fault francis did not resign. Jones would have tapped ngannou

Jiri was no. 1 LHW and the true best at weight. Only LHW you can argue over him is Vadim.... and Jiri beat him.

Jon has never beaten Francis who hasnt retired. Jon will always be a fake paper champ @ HW until he beats Francis or Francis retires first.

Same as DC who was a fake paper champ @ LHW for never dethroning Jon who hadnt retired either.

Conor's double champs definitely legit, he would've beaten RDA too if RDA didn't pull out

Jones is a fake champ. He was given the HW title just for beating zero wrestling Gane who was not even the champion. It was a gift WME-IMG match up for a vacant belt because they wanted Jones as champion rather than having Jones face a legitimate HW contender and get destroyed.

Conor's double champs definitely legit, he would've beaten RDA too if RDA didn't pull out

Yeah people shit on Conor beating Eddie. Conor was FASTTRACKED and didnt deserve the shot that is 100% true. But he still beat the no. 1 LW Eddie.

Jon never beat Francis @ HW
DC never beat Jon @ LHW

both are fake paper champs

I thought it was funny how DC was downplaying Alex’s GOAT claims before the fight when he literally did the same exact thing.

Eddie Alvarez was never been a better LW than Khabib and Tony at that time. As far as I'm concerned McGregor was a fake double champ.

Randy - beat Mo Smith for HW title, beat Chuck for LHW title. Questionable case since the best LHW/HWs were in PRIDE so his LHW "title" is more like a Bellator title than beating the best.

2015 account checks out. Randy beat Chuck, who was a legit beast at the time, for the INTERIM LHW title, followed by beating Ortiz, a truly dominant LHW champ, for the actual title. Randy’s LHW title was legit.

2015 account checks out. Randy beat Chuck, who was a legit beast at the time, for the INTERIM LHW title, followed by beating Ortiz, a truly dominant LHW champ, for the actual title. Randy’s LHW title was legit.

Chuck was Titos gatekeeper at time. They wouldnt let him take him out. His LHW title was legit in context of UFC.

But most didnt consider the UFC champ the best in the world. They were in PRIDE for LHW and HW.

Being UFC LHW champ then was like being the Bellator champ now. Still impressive but you werent the best in the world b/c UFC didnt have the best roster and talent then.

KOd Izzy who was undefeated @ MW and clear standing champ

KOd Jiri who was the real LHW champ. Had to vacate due to "injury" but was still there when Jamahal got a paper belt. Hadnt lost in 8 years and 13 fight win streak.

Other legit double champs

Randy - beat Mo Smith for HW title, beat Chuck for LHW title. Questionable case since the best LHW/HWs were in PRIDE so his LHW "title" is more like a Bellator title than beating the best

BJ - was clear no. 1 LW as champ, beat Gomi in Shooto back in day to cement in. Moved up and choked out Hughes who hadnt lost in years for WW title.

Hendo - beat Bustamante for MW title. Bustamante was last UFC MW champ before he left. His losses after came @ LHW. Then Hendo KOd Wand for LHW title. Wand one is questionable since many had Shogun/Arona as better than Wand by that point as Hunt and Mirko fights really ended his prime bad but he still had title.

GSP - WW champ, and Bisping as weak a champ as he was was the no. 1 MW

Conor - dethroned Aldo and Eddie while a weak champ was no.1 LW

Fake double champs

DC - beat Rumble for LHW title while no. 1 LHW Jon was active, never dethroned Jon. Paper champ LHW.

Jon - beat Gane for title while no. 1 Francis was active, never dethroned Francis. Paper champ HW.

Henry - robbery over Mighty Mouse for FLW title, then a vacant BW title against Marlon Moraes who was never no.1 BW

Considering Izzy was EASILY best MW in all of MMA and Jiri was LHW in all of MMA including fighters from other promotions Vadim has a good case but Jiri beat him. Alex double champ status is more impressive than most these guys since there was no question he beat THE guy to be THE guy.
Hey brother, great thread as always. I love the detailed analysis of each champ's situation. You are spot on on every account. It really seems BJ and Hendo were the two most legitimate out of everyone.

Many still had Shogun as the top LHW in the world at the time Hendo beat an ill Wand. Shogun KO'ed Overeem the same night. Even if Wand had the flu, it was still a huge win for Hendo and he followed it up with an extremely impressive 5 round war with Rampage. Some people even felt Hendo beat Rampage. That fight right there totally certifies Hendo's double champ status in my eyes. It was such a great and high level fight and was so close. It really showed me they were the top two LHWs in the world at that point. Rampage and Hendo really peaked in 2007. They proved they had better durability and power at that point than Chuck and Wanderlei and Shogun. Of course Rampage and Hendo never looked that good or well rounded again unfortunately. They may have beat the primes out of each other that night. Neither guy ever used their wrestling again hardly.

I usually agree with you 99% of the time and that's okay because we can't always agree with everyone 100% of the time. I personally do consider DC a legit Champ Champ because Jones tested positive for PEDs multiple times and that puts all his wins into question, especially his win over DC. Also, DC had to earn that belt. He beat the very dangerous Rumble not once but twice. Jones never fought Rumble. So I understand what you mean rankings wise, but I think DC is legit. Jones was suspended because he cheated so DC was now the current best LHW that was eligible. Also I think DC's win over Stipe is 10x more impressive than Jones beating Gane.

Hey brother, great thread as always. I love the detailed analysis of each champ's situation. You are spot on on every account. It really seems BJ and Hendo were the two most legitimate out of everyone.

Many still had Shogun as the top LHW in the world at the time Hendo beat an ill Wand. Shogun KO'ed Overeem the same night. Even if Wand had the flu, it was still a huge win for Hendo and he followed it up with an extremely impressive 5 round war with Rampage. Some people even felt Hendo beat Rampage. That fight right there totally certifies Hendo's double champ status in my eyes. It was such a great and high level fight and was so close. It really showed me they were the top two LHWs in the world at that point. Rampage and Hendo really peaked in 2007. They proved they had better durability and power at that point than Chuck and Wanderlei and Shogun. Of course Rampage and Hendo never looked that good or well rounded again unfortunately. They may have beat the primes out of each other that night. Neither guy ever used their wrestling again hardly.

I usually agree with you 99% of the time and that's okay because we can't always agree with everyone 100% of the time. I personally do consider DC a legit Champ Champ because Jones tested positive for PEDs multiple times and that puts all his wins into question, especially his win over DC. Also, DC had to earn that belt. He beat the very dangerous Rumble not once but twice. Jones never fought Rumble. So I understand what you mean rankings wise, but I think DC is legit. Jones was suspended because he cheated so DC was now the current best LHW that was eligible.

Always good to read your insight bro. I usually agree with all of your takes too. Jon doping is actually a very legit argument I completely forgot about so yeah in that event you can absolutely argue Daniels.

Conor’s status looks much more legit when you have someone like Perreira. I just wish people keep the same energy for both. Because this one was pushed much harder than Conor. And he was much less impressive in both divisions.

Yeah people shit on Conor beating Eddie. Conor was FASTTRACKED and didnt deserve the shot that is 100% true. But he still beat the no. 1 LW Eddie.
Jon never beat Francis @ HW
DC never beat Jon @ LHW

both are fake paper champs

Ok, so you admit Conor was fast tracked and skipped the line. Then not only did he never defend the belt, he never fought at LW again. Yeah what a legit champion he was lmfao…

That’s some logic you have there giving him respect and discrediting DC wow man.

And we can't forget Hendo won the RINGS King of Kings Open Weight tournament, beating some heavyweights along the way. *

*Controversial win over Nog in tournament

Hendo also won the PRIDE Welterweight Grand Prix (controversial win over Murilo), the Strikeforce LHW title, early UFC tournament champion and Brazilian Vale Tudo tournament champ.

s-l1200.jpg

I got Hendo like #5 or #6 all time P4P GOAT

Lmao RDA would have mauled Conor. He'd have mauled Eddie too if he wasn't sick on the night. Should never have been cleared to fight Eddie

Back