Alex Pereira is only the 6th LEGIT 2weight champ in MMA

Jon hit pregnant lady in a rented car and couldn't defend his belt. Francis left the org. Henry got the nod, regardless if you agree or not and TJ popped hot. Horrible thread.

Conor’s status looks much more legit when you have someone like Perreira. I just wish people keep the same energy for both. Because this one was pushed much harder than Conor. And he was much less impressive in both divisions.
I guess they are somewhat similarly fast tracked but I would say the biggest difference is Alex beat Jan, one of the absolute elite fighters, at 205 before he was given the title shot against Jiri. Conor went 1-1 with Nate Diaz who really wasn't a top guy at that point and really shouldn't have warranted a title shot. I think one of those fights was at 170 too.

Ok, so you admit Conor was fast tracked and skipped the line. Then not only did he never defend the belt, he never fought at LW again. Yeah what a legit champion he was lmfao…

That’s some logic you have there giving him respect and discrediting DC wow man.
You are right about Conor. He did not defend and should have never earned a title shot in the first place. But he did beat the #1 guy. That we can't argue. Alvarez win was impressive.

I personally have DC as a legit and proven double champ but it is true that Jones was still the lineal champ and perceived #1 guy out there, even if he was suspended. So these are all facts. I think TS is being fair on all sides. I am a big fan of Randy but half the rankings sites at the time had Wanderlei as the #1 in the world after he beat Rampage twice. I love Hendo but most rankings had Shogun #1 from 2005 to 2007. Of course, Randy and Dan still earned their titles though and I will always consider them double champs

Prohazka mauled him for majority of the fight.

I think he hit him good but it was a way too early stoppage..terrible job by marc goddard

Fake double champs

DC - beat Rumble for LHW title while no. 1 LHW Jon was active, never dethroned Jon. Paper champ LHW.

It's not DC's fault Jon pissed hot for their fights MULTIPLE times LOL.

Henry - robbery over Mighty Mouse for FLW title, then a vacant BW title against Marlon Moraes who was never no.1 BW

I thought Henry won the rematch but it wasn't a robbery.

Whatever questions there were about Henry's legitimacy were answered when he starched Dillashaw and Moraes.

KOd Izzy who was undefeated @ MW and clear standing champ

KOd Jiri who was the real LHW champ. Had to vacate due to "injury" but was still there when Jamahal got a paper belt. Hadnt lost in 8 years and 13 fight win streak.

Other legit double champs

Randy - beat Mo Smith for HW title, beat Chuck for LHW title. Questionable case since the best LHW/HWs were in PRIDE so his LHW "title" is more like a Bellator title than beating the best

BJ - was clear no. 1 LW as champ, beat Gomi in Shooto back in day to cement in. Moved up and choked out Hughes who hadnt lost in years for WW title.

Hendo - beat Bustamante for MW title. Bustamante was last UFC MW champ before he left. His losses after came @ LHW. Then Hendo KOd Wand for LHW title. Wand one is questionable since many had Shogun/Arona as better than Wand by that point as Hunt and Mirko fights really ended his prime bad but he still had title.

GSP - WW champ, and Bisping as weak a champ as he was was the no. 1 MW

Conor - dethroned Aldo and Eddie while a weak champ was no.1 LW

Fake double champs

DC - beat Rumble for LHW title while no. 1 LHW Jon was active, never dethroned Jon. Paper champ LHW.

Jon - beat Gane for title while no. 1 Francis was active, never dethroned Francis. Paper champ HW.

Henry - robbery over Mighty Mouse for FLW title, then a vacant BW title against Marlon Moraes who was never no.1 BW

Considering Izzy was EASILY best MW in all of MMA and Jiri was LHW in all of MMA including fighters from other promotions Vadim has a good case but Jiri beat him. Alex double champ status is more impressive than most these guys since there was no question he beat THE guy to be THE guy.
Imagine thinking that Conor is more legit than Henry?

If they held the title at 2 weights (not interim), they're legit. No amount of running down fighters you don't like matters.

Bullshit number 1 man

He doesnt deserve
He got gifted a decision over Jan..borderline robbery

And yesterday.he got mauled by Jiri before landing a lucky punch

Naaah.. not good and not more legit than Connor

Lets see if we he.can defend it at least once or twice zo make it legit

You are right about Conor. He did not defend and should have never earned a title shot in the first place. But he did beat the #1 guy. That we can't argue. Alvarez win was impressive.

I personally have DC as a legit and proven double champ but it is true that Jones was still the lineal champ and perceived #1 guy out there, even if he was suspended. So these are all facts. I think TS is being fair on all sides. I am a big fan of Randy but half the rankings sites at the time had Wanderlei as the #1 in the world after he beat Rampage twice. I love Hendo but most rankings had Shogun #1 from 2005 to 2007. Of course, Randy and Dan still earned their titles though and I will always consider them double champs

I would never say that Conor isn’t an impressive fighter with impressive wins including Eddie Alvarez. But to argue that he’s a real double champ while putting DC in the category as a fake double champ is a wild thing to say. Makes no sense.

I can tell that both you and TS are quality poster capable of nuance and reason. Isn’t it more complicated than separating all double champs into fake or real? Fact is they were all real double champs. It seems like the we should stop caring about belts as much as we do. The champ isn’t always the best. The best sometimes don’t even win a title. This shit seems so arbitrary.

you can spin this stuff any way you want.

DC paper champ
gsp cherry picked
jones didn't fight ngannou
Alvarez was only champ because he got gifted a splits over Pettis and Gilbert

Back