Conor is light years ahead of Floyd in PPV performance

Floyd didn't have The UFC marketing machine and fight cards helping him.
Conor leaves the UFC, and tries selling PPVS on his own, without their fighters on his cards and he'd be lucky to break 700k

Pretty much this. The Main Event sells a boxing card while the Main Event + Undercard + UFC brand sells a UFC event.

Boxing Cards without one or two established stars at the top, fighting one another, either don't exist or don't sell anywhere in the neighborhood of 300,000, which is a relatively low buy for a middling to crappy UFC card.

LOL, I thought I was in this alone, thanks for the backup. Funny thing is that the folks that want to call me on being a few 100k buys off here or there don't want to accept the bigger picture that Conor is on the path to becoming the most successful and well know combat athlete in human history. That's a bitter pill for them and they'll do anything not to swallow it.

Being off by 100k buys is a pretty big number where PPV is concerned

Mayweather does have longevity on his side. Mayweather right now could come out of retirement at 40 years old, and still be favored againt everybody in his weight division. Conors in the prime of his career right now. You think by the time he's 40 he'll still be a top MMA fighter? No. No one has, isn't, or ever will be.
This man says hi

randy+couture_7741-thumb-575x652-358749.jpg

LOL, I thought I was in this alone, thanks for the backup. Funny thing is that the folks that want to call me on being a few 100k buys off here or there don't want to accept the bigger picture that Conor is on the path to becoming the most successful and well know combat athlete in human history. That's a bitter pill for them and they'll do anything not to swallow it.
Conor lost recently in devastating fashion. Another loss and the hype train derails completely.

why is ts using extremely inflated numbers for conor? Half the damn ppv buys were exposed as being massively inflated lmao

Say what u want about Floyd, but he will likely always be the ppv king. Sure Conor has gotten bigger numbers at a younger age, but who can Conor fight that'll allow him to see 4.4m ppv buys at 100 a pop?

Look at the highest selling fights in boxing history. Floyd owns #1 #2 and #3

Floyd did like 4.4m v manny.
2.4m v Oscar
2.2ish against canelo.

The thing with comparing them is the fact that the UFC generally has better cards in their entirety to help boost sales. The boxing model is built purely at selling one fight only.

Being off by 100k buys is a pretty big number where PPV is concerned

There are two elements at work:

• Am I actually in error with the PPV estimates I used? Possible, but I used sources that I thought were reasonable when pulling my numbers.
  • Am I intentionally overstating or lying? No, but even if this is the perception of various individuals, it doesn't matter as the core message remains intact. Even if you plug in all of the lowest estimates for the 5 McGregor headline events, he's crushing Floyd when you compare them by age-of-accomplishment.

This man says hi

randy+couture_7741-thumb-575x652-358749.jpg

1. Randy didn't start fighting in his 20s...he was already in his early 30s when he started his MMA career.
2. Randy was primarily a wrestler and a somewhat plodding striker. Speed was never Randy's game.
3. Randy fought at HW late in his career during time when there weren't many quick, powerful strikers.

The reason Randy was able to fight in his 40s was his late start in MMA and his fighting style. Two traits which Conor, who relies almost entirely on his hand speed, does not share. Randy also had the benefit of fighting in the TRT era.

Last edited:
Time between Floyd's pro debut and his first 100 million dollar payday = 18 years and 207 days
Time between Conor's pro debut and now = 8 years and 239 days

This thread highlights the fact that Conor's current pace is significantly ahead of Floyd's when accounting for the difference in age. Not sure how one doesn't see that Floyd's 2X+ advantage in time to build his brand is meaningful.

Now factor in that Conor's rise is only possible because of those who came before him, and what have you got?

Canelo Alvarez is 26 years, 5 months old and has sold 4,675,000 PPV buys so far at that age. By my calculation using the thread starter's data that is about 4,675,000 PPV buys more than both Mayweather & McGregor sold combined when they were at Canelo's current age.

i.e. Who gives a shit.

When Conor McGrgeor was 24 years, 9 months old he was sitting on social welfare and begging Dana for an extra 60 grand on national television. When Canelo Alvarez was 24 years, 9 months old he was only a few weeks away from earning at least a seven figure payday for the 8th straight time in his career and had even cracked the eight figure mark by that point.

But really. Who gives a shit.

1. Randy didn't start fighting in his 20s...he was already in his early 30s when he started his MMA career.
2. Randy was primarily a wrestler and a somewhat plodding striker. Speed was never Randy's game.
3. Randy fought at HW late in his career during time when there weren't many quick, powerful strikers.

The reason Randy was able to fight in his 40s was his late start in MMA and his fighting style. Two traits which Conor, who relies almost entirely on his hand speed, does not share. Randy also had the benefit of fighting in the TRT era.
He was still a top fighter in his 40s. So yes, someone will/has.

He was still a top fighter in his 40s. So yes, someone will/has.
I guess I wasted my time pointing out how Randy was a unique case and his example applies to, like, 0.1% of the fighting population, but whatever...

When Conor McGrgeor was 24 years, 9 months old he was sitting on social welfare and begging Dana for an extra 60 grand on national television. When Canelo Alvarez was 24 years, 9 months old he was only a few weeks away from earning at least a seven figure payday for the 8th straight time in his career and had even cracked the eight figure mark by that point.

But really. Who gives a shit.

Two consecutive responses citing Canelo Alvarez. Clearly you give a shit.

I appreciate the attempt, but your argument has a shaky foundation. You and I both know that interest drives PPVs, and Conor is much more interesting than Alvarez.

See below from Google trends. The starting point of the comparison is Conor's UFC debut.

CM_CA_FM.png

Now factor in that Conor's rise is only possible because of those who came before him, and what have you got?

Would this apply to Conor only or all other fighters? If it also applies to Floyd, then it greatly tarnishes the power of your statement. I suppose then, that all the credit for Conor's success belongs to Spartacus? See what I did there?

Would this apply to Conor only or all other fighters? If it also applies to Floyd, then it greatly tarnishes the power of your statement. I suppose then, that all the credit for Conor's success belongs to Spartacus? See what I did there?

I was thinking more along the lines of Lesnar, Sonnen, professional wrestling as whole, a Canadian male model, and the boxers who were previously setting buyrate records.

One cannot reach for the stars without yet seeing them.

Two consecutive responses citing Canelo Alvarez. Clearly you give a shit.

I appreciate the attempt, but your argument has a shaky foundation. You and I both know that interest drives PPVs, and Conor is much more interesting than Alvarez.

See below from Google trends. The starting point of the comparison is Conor's UFC debut.

CM_CA_FM.png

I think you completely missed my point, which was that comparing fighters at a select moment in time doesn't mean anything (hence the 'who gives a shit' comments'). e.g. Despite Canelo getting an earlier start age-wise as a PPV seller, I'd say odds are pretty outstanding that he won't be selling another 15 milion PPVs in his life time and going on to match (or exceed) Mayweather's total number of buys once his career is done.

Flod
Take a look:

Floyd.png

Takeaways:
  • At roughly the same age (28.35) Conor has over 7M PPV buys, where Floyd had a mere 365K
  • Conor's career average (1.43M) is already ahead of Floyd's (1.32M)
  • Through each fighter's first 5 PPVs, Floyd holds only ONE advantage over Conor - That's the buy rate of the De La Hoya fight. Floyd greatly benefited in that contest by having another incredible draw in Oscar. Conor has yet to face another fighter that is his equal in terms of PPV draws.
  • If Conor maintains his pace, he'll break all of Floyd's records in 2 years and 196 days
    • Averages 13,593 PPVs per day
    • Needs 12,590,000 PPVs to pass Floyd
    • That equates to 926 days
    • That can also equate to about 9 more PPVs at his average buy rate of 1.43M. Since his average has increased every single time he's headlined, this stands to go down.
Floyd is way ahead in the category that matters... $$$

Back