Conor double standard

JoshR86

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.

I agree. Conor had to change his opponent and fight his stylistic nightmare with no preparation. And won by KO in 2 rounds. He deserves respect for that.

Sure, Jones was widely praised for his decision...

I agree that if more champions had Conor's mentality, the UFC would be a better place

He is open to fighting anyone at any time
Always looking for the biggest fight available

What a time to be alive.

Conor Bless us all.

I don't think anyone doubts how impressive Conor was that night.

People just thought that he was facing a weaker version of Mendes.

Oh...it's this subject again. Conor's awesome but some of his fans come across as proper "it's real to me damnit!" Kinda guys

It's not necessarily so black-and-white.
Conor won against possibly the worst style match-ups in the division on short notice, and that's impressive.

That doesn't change the fact that that fight highlighted holes in his game, and ignoring them or shouting at people who point those holes out is annoying.
It also doesn't change the fact that it was a short notice Mendes, which limits the conclusions one can draw from the fight.

Nah, people say he was exposed, he has no wrestling, and so and so on as if Conor was fully prepared for Mendes.

Yet theres a reason why Werdum ducked Stipe, and Jones ducked Chael, because a lot of the technical training put into the camp is counter productive, unless your Conor,in which case hes expected to be fully prepared to fight Mendes while training for Aldo.

It's not necessarily so black-and-white.
Conor won against possibly the worst style match-ups in the division on short notice, and that's impressive.

That doesn't change the fact that that fight highlighted holes in his game, and ignoring them or shouting at people who point those holes out is annoying.
It also doesn't change the fact that it was a short notice Mendes, which limits the conclusions one can draw from the fight.

Exactly my point, Mendes fought the most unprepared version he'll ever fight, and vice versa, you cant really take away anything from that fight except Mendes cant take Conor's power, while Conor can take Mendes best shots

Exactly my point, Mendes fought the most unprepared version he'll ever fight, and vice versa, you cant really take away anything from that fight except Mendes cant take Conor's power, while Conor can take Mendes best shots

The only thing you can take from that fight is that Conor can generate enough power to render Mendes unconscious.
These are professional fighters, so that's not really saying a whole lot. I'm sure that "under the right circumstances" most of them are capable of doing that to one another.

Nah, people say he was exposed, he has no wrestling, and so and so on as if Conor was fully prepared for Mendes.

Yet theres a reason why Werdum ducked Stipe, and Jones ducked Chael, because a lot of the technical training put into the camp is counter productive, unless your Conor,in which case hes expected to be fully prepared to fight Mendes while training for Aldo.

Connor was "technically not preapred for Mendes" but it wasn't just wrestling that caused Conor problems, Mendes was also tagging him standing up. Both were on short notice so Mendes did exactly that -- expose holes in Conor's game.

Conor was great in that fight because he did an early 1st round body blow that really hurt Mendes.

A lot of people though are underestimating McGregor's ground. He may not be a wrestler or a jiujitsu guy, but he knows how to defend himself on the ground at least. For many strikers, that's all they need. Get out of the troublesome ground game and back to punching and kicking where they can demolish the enemy.

The only thing you can take from that fight is that Conor can generate enough power to render Mendes unconscious.
These are professional fighters, so that's not really saying a whole lot. I'm sure that "under the right circumstances" most of them are capable of doing that to one another.

I dont disagree, a rematch with both guys going through a full camp would be a totally different fight, Mendes might be able take him down and hold him there and Conor might not be able put him away.

Conor has my respect an an athlete but i cant stand him as a person. That's the real him no front going on

While I agree with your comments on Conor, Jones took a lot of flack for his decision, both from the fans and from the UFC.

I still think that Conor agreed to only take the fight if it was turned into a title match. The other difference is that Conor was a challenger and didn't have anything to lose. Most of the guys you mentioned were champs with everything to lose.

Exactly.

Respect for taking the fight but 2 weeks is nothing for a massive weight cutter like mendes.

I agree. Conor had to change his opponent and fight his stylistic nightmare with no preparation. And won by KO in 2 rounds. He deserves respect for that.
His opponent took a fight on 2 weeks notice whilst filming a reality show

Yeah all of those things are really related. Jesus you're a moron.

Back