Conor double standard

It's not necessarily so black-and-white.
Conor won against possibly the worst style match-ups in the division on short notice, and that's impressive.

That doesn't change the fact that that fight highlighted holes in his game, and ignoring them or shouting at people who point those holes out is annoying.
It also doesn't change the fact that it was a short notice Mendes, which limits the conclusions one can draw from the fight.

I agree it's not as black and white as that. Just away from the fight itself, what was going on outside in the lead up sounded mental. I don't know what the number was of fans from Ireland that went over, but if he pulled that would have messed things up financially for the UFC, Conor and fans who paid to go over to the fight - I'm pretty sure fans can get a refund if the main event is cancelled

I think it was on BT Sport when he done an interview on the question of Aldo pulling out where he brought up that Vegas would have lost $60 million in revenue, UFC would lose $20 million for production alone for the event, the gate would have most likely not being a high as it was and Conor would've lost out on his pay day.

Then having him fly to New York the week of the fight for the Reebok launch, then LA to do a chat show before getting back to Vegas. I'm sure he did that interview with Sonnen at ESPN HQ as well the week of the fight and Sonnen is telling everyone he's cutting nearly 30lbs the week of the fight - as well as Tweeting Mendes' number in public. He was probably under a lot of pressure outside the cage more than the fight itself. I think something happened there where maybe Conor realised Dana will work you to the bone doing PR or he did the UFC a solid by not pulling out of the fight early on when he hurt his knee during the world tour and expected maybe a better contract, the promise of the stadium fight or who knows.

Either way, it was a risk/reward scenario that paid off in the end. He probably did, foolishly, plan to fight himself and not under UFC pressure. Aside from Werdum saying he would have threw water at Conor's face if he was Dos Anjos, I could get why Conor would say what he did during his acceptance speech.

His opponent took a fight on 2 weeks notice whilst filming a reality show

I thought he was laying on the couch drinking beer? Or was fishing while drinking a beer? Was scouting locations for the reality show while drinking a beer? Had an adrenaline dump before the fight started? There's no question Mendes wasn't in prime shape, but what does that say about Mendes and his commitment to fighting?

Of course they need to have a life outside of training and fighting, but it seems like he's conflicted with his passion for hunting and fighting.

Nah, people say he was exposed, he has no wrestling, and so and so on as if Conor was fully prepared for Mendes.

Yet theres a reason why Werdum ducked Stipe, and Jones ducked Chael, because a lot of the technical training put into the camp is counter productive, unless your Conor,in which case hes expected to be fully prepared to fight Mendes while training for Aldo.

And Mendes was supposed to be fully prepared while hunting, fishing, and drinking beer on his couch?

Thats the double standard, its hard to see while your swinging from conor's nuts tho.

The only thing you can take from that fight is that Conor can generate enough power to render Mendes unconscious.
These are professional fighters, so that's not really saying a whole lot. I'm sure that "under the right circumstances" most of them are capable of doing that to one another.

Except Mendes never went out.

You are thinking of Edgar or Aldo, both against Mendes with a full camp.

:)

I agree that if more champions had Conor's mentality, the UFC would be a better place

He is open to fighting anyone at any time
Always looking for the biggest fight available
he is open now,but after he has a tough fight,or gets a bit hurt, he might change his mind. There are lots of fighters who will fight anyone,and lots who won't without thinking about it.Conor only been in UFC 2 years,and everything has been gravy so far. Maybe he is the warior the Irish crave,or maybe he just another Floyd,just picking suitable fights,at his convenience

Connor was "technically not preapred for Mendes" but it wasn't just wrestling that caused Conor problems, Mendes was also tagging him standing up. Both were on short notice so Mendes did exactly that -- expose holes in Conor's game.

Conor was great in that fight because he did an early 1st round body blow that really hurt Mendes.

A lot of people though are underestimating McGregor's ground. He may not be a wrestler or a jiujitsu guy, but he knows how to defend himself on the ground at least. For many strikers, that's all they need. Get out of the troublesome ground game and back to punching and kicking where they can demolish the enemy.
Lets hope we see his ground game.If he gets another ko,it will be insufferable listening to his money rants and fighter insults

Conor gets more heat for taking a fight against Mendes as Aldo's replacement, then Jones get for ducking Chael
No way. Canceling a PPV was unprecedented at the time and people were verbally insulting him and his camp for their decision. Fighters were mad that they weren't getting paid and people bought tickets and planned their trips for nothing.

Conor gets more heat for taking a fight against Mendes as Aldo's replacement, then Jones get for ducking Chael
No he doesn't, do you remember the shit Jones got for that? (And rightly so). Conor only gets so much shit because his fans are so embarrassing, he isn't all that bad

Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.
Ya, let's pretend Conor was at a bigger disadvantage here because he was training so long for one opponent, then had to adjust his preparation for the final two weeks of his training.

Let's ignore the fact that Chad wasn't expecting to fight anyone, and had just two weeks total to prepare for a fight.

No he doesn't, do you remember the shit Jones got for that? (And rightly so). Conor only gets so much shit because his fans are so embarrassing, he isn't all that bad

What is it, the posting word for word what he says or people calling him the GOAT/Conor Bless at the end of a post?

This is completely false, people asked for Jones to be cut from the UFC and it clearly looked like it had crossed Dana's mind. The only reason it doesn't get mentioned more often is because Jones managed to do much worst things since.

While I agree with your comments on Conor, Jones took a lot of flack for his decision, both from the fans and from the UFC.

I still think that Conor agreed to only take the fight if it was turned into a title match. The other difference is that Conor was a challenger and didn't have anything to lose. Most of the guys you mentioned were champs with everything to lose.
That's an excellent point, but somehow I doubt the Cloner lackeys are gonna let a silly thing like common sense fuck up their argument.

Maybe currently because one is more recent. Jones got more heat when it happened by a fair margin.

Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.

Conor fans get a lot of crap on Sherdog, but as an impartial observer, I would say that Conor haters are the p4p saddest bunch. Didn't you hear the latest news ? Apparently McGregor is ducking Frankie now.

What is it, the posting word for word what he says or people calling him the GOAT/Conor Bless at the end of a post?
Bit of everything, along with the he'd finish HWs.
His precision and timing speech was actually a good technical assessment after the Aldo fight, but now people are parroting it everywhere

You probably feel that way because Jones vs Chael is further in the past than Conor vs Mendes. Conor vs Mendes is still a pretty fresh memory.

I thought McGregor was stupid to accept a fight vs Mendes on short notice, I expected him to get wrestlefucked.
Despite Mendes not being in shape it was a good performance by McGregor, considering the circumstances.

Conor fans get a lot of crap on Sherdog, but as an impartial observer, I would say that Conor haters are the p4p saddest bunch. Didn't you hear the latest news ? Apparently McGregor is ducking Frankie now.

I agree. I'm not a Conor fan by any means, but for his haters it doesn't matter who he fights next.
He either ducks Frankie, RDA or Aldo blabla. I always think it's funny when people say he isn't legit and still has to proof that he's a top fighter. He polarizes more than any other fighter on the roster right now, no wonder that we'll get the extreme nuthugging or the extreme hating.

Bit of everything, along with the he'd finish HWs.
His precision and timing speech was actually a good technical assessment after the Aldo fight, but now people are parroting it everywhere

Ah, I see. I can't say I've ever seen that, but I well believe you. Not a mind reader but something like that is surely someone posting it as some form of trolling.

I agree. Repeating endlessly what any fighter says is annoying and ruins the flow of a good debate on a thread sometimes. To be honest, there's a lot of shit posted on here and pettiness when it comes to debating certain things, but the internet is the internet.

If you really believe jones ducked chael because he was to dangerous you are a fool. Sonnen wasn't even a a challenge for jones and only fought him after to prove a point because everyone was saying he was a coward.

Jones didn't/doesn't want dana controlling him and stuck it to the boss. You can tell dana is still salty about the whole deal lol

Nah, people say he was exposed, he has no wrestling, and so and so on as if Conor was fully prepared for Mendes.

Yet theres a reason why Werdum ducked Stipe, and Jones ducked Chael, because a lot of the technical training put into the camp is counter productive, unless your Conor,in which case hes expected to be fully prepared to fight Mendes while training for Aldo.
Jumping at a chance to obtain a belt is way different than jumping in to defend one. We saw Jones go in balls deep at the chance to face Shogun 6 weeks after he finished Bader, and plenty of other fighters have too like Hunt jumping in to get the interim HW shot at Wedrum.

Conor gets head just by being insanely successful. Some people have wanted him to lose since the Porier fight,and they are in agony right now,and their jimmies remain profuciously unrustled by his last two fights especially. I dont have any problem with Jones "ducking" chael on short notice,though.

Back