Conor double standard

That's an excellent point, but somehow I doubt the Cloner lackeys are gonna let a silly thing like common sense fuck up their argument.
Conor would have lost his title shot against Aldo, had he lost.

If you really believe jones ducked chael because he was to dangerous you are a fool. Sonnen wasn't even a a challenge for jones and only fought him after to prove a point because everyone was saying he was a coward.

Jones didn't/doesn't want dana controlling him and stuck it to the boss. You can tell dana is still salty about the whole deal lol

I was never angry at Jones for that event being cancelled - I was more confused as to what was reported in that Jackson advised him not to take the fight - because I thought he'd blast Sonnen, as I'm sure most people thought. I think that should've being the time the UFC would always give a heads up to a fighter to stay in shape so they could come in as a late replacement. But then if they don't come in as a late replacement, they've spent money on a training camp that cost them money. Wouldn't be surprised if the UFC didn't compensate them for that.

I think it was after that Dana called Jackson a 'sport killer' and started going on one about how his fighters were too conservative and mainly won by decision - which I think Jackson proved to be wrong by showing his fighters had finished more fights than any other team that year (or something like that)

The only thing you can take from that fight is that Conor can generate enough power to render Mendes unconscious.
These are professional fighters, so that's not really saying a whole lot. I'm sure that "under the right circumstances" most of them are capable of doing that to one another.
mendes was gassed,and definitely not KOd, as he got up almost immediately to thank a crying cut Conor

I always think it's funny when people say he isn't legit and still has to proof that he's a top fighter. He polarizes more than any other fighter on the roster right now, no wonder that we'll get the extreme nuthugging or the extreme hating.

I still think in terms of skill-set he still has a lot of evolving to do, which is the name of the game.

I find comments like "the hype train will be derailed" "he only has a left hand" and "he has insecurity issues and has to take it out on his opponents" as some of the more baffling and amusing ones if that someone is serious in what they're saying.

Exactly my point, Mendes fought the most unprepared version he'll ever fight, and vice versa, you cant really take away anything from that fight except Mendes cant take Conor's power, while Conor can take Mendes best shots

There's really no point in arguing about this anymore. Some people think it's impressive that conor beat mendes on short notice. Others also acknowledge it was impressive but temper this with the thought that it would have been a more competitive fight had they both known who they were fighting from the beginning and trained accordingly.

I agree it's not as black and white as that. Just away from the fight itself, what was going on outside in the lead up sounded mental. I don't know what the number was of fans from Ireland that went over, but if he pulled that would have messed things up financially for the UFC, Conor and fans who paid to go over to the fight - I'm pretty sure fans can get a refund if the main event is cancelled

I think it was on BT Sport when he done an interview on the question of Aldo pulling out where he brought up that Vegas would have lost $60 million in revenue, UFC would lose $20 million for production alone for the event, the gate would have most likely not being a high as it was and Conor would've lost out on his pay day.

Then having him fly to New York the week of the fight for the Reebok launch, then LA to do a chat show before getting back to Vegas. I'm sure he did that interview with Sonnen at ESPN HQ as well the week of the fight and Sonnen is telling everyone he's cutting nearly 30lbs the week of the fight - as well as Tweeting Mendes' number in public. He was probably under a lot of pressure outside the cage more than the fight itself. I think something happened there where maybe Conor realised Dana will work you to the bone doing PR or he did the UFC a solid by not pulling out of the fight early on when he hurt his knee during the world tour and expected maybe a better contract, the promise of the stadium fight or who knows.

Either way, it was a risk/reward scenario that paid off in the end. He probably did, foolishly, plan to fight himself and not under UFC pressure. Aside from Werdum saying he would have threw water at Conor's face if he was Dos Anjos, I could get why Conor would say what he did during his acceptance speech.
what about the Frankie Edgar insult? What is your reasoning for that

Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.

Conor had something to gain, the interim title. Risk/reward for him was way different than from the other examples.

I still think in terms of skill-set he still has a lot of evolving to do, which is the name of the game.

I find comments like "the hype train will be derailed" "he only has a left hand" and "he has insecurity issues and has to take it out on his opponents" as some of the more baffling and amusing ones if that someone is serious in what they're saying.
same like Artem.The hammer only needs to touch someone and it's all over.Same look,hands down,lots of posturing,not much ground game.See what happens,but he don't look like superman to me,but I know he has an accurate left cross/hook.Still think Aldo looks better to watch,and much more explosive. I know the UFC love Irish/italian fighters,as they originate there

what about the Frankie Edgar insult? What is your reasoning for that

I think he addressed that at the press conference by saying Edgar had a "stink of desperation about him" looking for the fight.

Don't forget, after 189, Edgar (think it was his manager) went on Twitter with the hashtag #notakedowndefence and was fielding questions from fans about beating Conor and being able to take a left hand from the whole of Ireland (which makes me think it was his manager)

Anyway, there was also the Instagram post of Edgar looking at him at the Go Big press conference and a caption attatched to it asking why he was avoiding him. Plus, his manager has been vocal about getting the fight and even threatening Conor to watch his mouth. Though that's all died down now since certain allegations have being made against him. Edgar is doing similar to what Conor is doing when he was looking to get his name out there.

It probably annoys Edgar and his manager when he doesn't reply to them, because, he doesn't need to.

I agree. Conor had to change his opponent and fight his stylistic nightmare with no preparation. And won by KO in 2 rounds. He deserves respect for that.
Except it was a TKO. Also Conor has said that he doesn't train for a specific fighter.

Disagree on the Jones point. He got a TON of hate for causing that card to go down the tubes. Its just this happened years ago at this point, so it just isn't brought up very much.

Agree on the Werdum point. Doom is really well liked, so Sherdog seems to have overwhelmingly given him a pass for backing out on Stipe, when he really did the same thing Jones did.

Not the same at all. Some of those guys were champions, and they had the title on the line.

Also, people were indeed mad at Jones for not wanting to fight Chael, I was one of those people. But in hindsight, I can admit I was wrong. I think Jon Jones was well within his right to decline the fight as a defending champion on short notice with all of that on the line.

LOL good post. Can't wait to see the results.

Not the same at all. Some of those guys were champions, and they had the title on the line.

Also, people were indeed mad at Jones for not wanting to fight Chael, I was one of those people. But in hindsight, I can admit I was wrong. I think Jon Jones was well within his right to decline the fight as a defending champion on short notice with all of that on the line.

Conor had the exact same incentive, ppv points, which is what Jones and Werdum conceded to avoid fighting.
It's as if people pretend Jones and Werdum get paid when they don't fight, they both gave up a pay check in order to avoid a short notice replacement, even if he was a MW...

Jones ducks Chael Sonnen as a late replacement with the excuse is hes to dangerous.

Werdum ducks Miocic as a late replacement, with the excuse he would still fight Cain but not short notice Stipe.

Tito fought Rashad with a week notice and never got a free pass, well Rashad was given a TS.

TJ fought soto on like 24 hours notice in his first UFC fight and only was able to finish it in the 5th.

Yet Conor accepts a fight against the #2 ranked FW, a 180 style change in 2 weeks of the fight, and only gets shit on because he didnt perform better in finishing him inside 2.

And Conor wins a FW title and fights again in less than 3 months, moving up a weight class against the champion. What a bad ass! He sets a new standard for fighter and champions. Completely fearless, shows up and doesn't puss out.

I gonna put this in every Conor thread.
ATsfQ4O.gif

The reality is mcgregor got taken down at will, and even got hit with good shots in the standup. By an opponent who had 2 weeks notice.

To someone who has never trained or fought you might think 2 weeks is a decent amount of time. Its not.

There are so many holes in this, it is hard to name them all.
Let us begin with the obvious: COnor was not a champ.
So he had nothing to lose, unlike TJ, Jon & Werdum.

But Conor got more. He got a title out of it.
And that was on par with Werdum's title shot against Hunt.

But there's more.
Zuffa (and I assume Conor) knew Mendes was hunting and hence out of shape.

it was obviously in common accord that Mendes got the title shot over Frankie (who was in shape and ready).

SO I disagree with the double. Not only he got exactly what Werdum got, but he also got to pick a fighter who was out of shape for his interim belt match.

If anything, I don't think ANYONE would have gotten what McG got.

Back