completely lost

studentofpain

White Belt
Reaction score
im 15 i just got into bjj maby 5 months ago and i love it, my world just revolves around it but im not exactly fit

i need to gain muscle and strength and lose fat(don't we all) but i have no idea where to start
right now im taking six star whey protein and and running every morning, i have a good weight bench but i dont know what i need to do

im feel i have plenty of leg power but thats were it stops so id just like to know what would be good to eat or some good workouts or supplements i could take

sorry i wasn't quite sure where to put this

with respect- Aaron

Read everything in the FAQs and stickies of the Strength and Power, Conditioning, and Dieting and Supplement forums. That should get you started.

There are FAQ's here, in Diet and Supps as well as Strength and Power that should help you to get a good understanding of things that you can do. If you're not clear on things feel free to ask. In most cases for Diet read the 7 habits, for strength the 2 day split in S&P should be a good starting place and for conditioning take a look into HIIT.

Keep training, stretching, and eating a clean (healthy) diet.

Eat a clean diet and lift more weights. Try to do pushups and after a workout, drink some Whey protein. Try not to take alot of that protein stuff because it can turn into fat

At 15 I would avoid supplements. I wrestled and all that jazz in high school and never took anything and did fine. That's just me. I started creatine at 17 and had good success with it and no side effects.

To lose fat: RUN. Cardio, running (HIIT), and swimming. Sprints and suicides once you're done.

Muscle: tons of ways to do it, it depends on what kind of build you want I suppose. I use my buddy who is a body builders plan, it's nice because he can help me with any questions I have.

Overall: eat right. The most important thing you can do.

I've read it's not possible to lose fat and gain mass at the same time, so don't expect to drop a bunch of weight and gain a ton of mass at once. Rome wasn't built in a day.

If you're looking for MMA specific exercises, head on over to bodybuilding.com ...they have some really nice suggestions.

I've read it's not possible to lose fat and gain mass at the same time, so don't expect to drop a bunch of weight and gain a ton of mass at once. Rome wasn't built in a day.

It's harder but not impossible, if you look at the avg out of shape person who starts hitting the gym they do lose significant BF while adding lean mass. The more advanced the athlete or the better shape the person starts with the harder this becomes, most cases it is at least possible to add muscle without increasing BF%

If you're looking for MMA specific exercises, head on over to bodybuilding.com ...they have some really nice suggestions.

I dont know if youre being funny, but its not cool to mislead the guy.

Aaron,

At your age if you simply train hard and eat healthy (lean proteins, vegetables, fruits, whole grains) you will lose fat and gain strength and muscle. Don't focus on supplements and products just try to eat 5-6 meals per day with some protein, a mix of carbs, and healthy fats at each meal.

I'd highly suggest reading a book called Power Eating written by a friend of mine, Dr. Susan Kleiner. It's a good book of how to eat for health, performance, and fitness and it will give you some good information to start with and it's inexpensive.

As far as training, you need to begin with a simple program of bodyweight exercises and technique drills before you begin squatting, deadlifting, benching, and training with heavy weights. Because you are 15 and still growing it is very important that you have the basic strength you need to perform the exercises correctly and safely.

Also, at 15 you should not be doing high intensity interval training (HIIT) just yet. Stick with lower intensity cardio and try things like jumping rope, boxing, swimming, jogging, basketball, etc. for your cardio and keep doing your BJJ to lose weight.

I would suggest you start with bodyweight squats, push-ups, pull-ups, lunges, wall-sits, and core exercises and then find yourself a qualified coach to work with you on the basic lifts. Just as it's important to have a good coach to teach you BJJ, it's important to have a good coach to teach you how to lift properly. I've seen far too many athletes have injuries that could have been prevented if they had been taught how to lift properly and started doing it right at your age.

Try going to Trainer Locator to look for a coach with a CSCS in your area to get started.

Back