Complete N00b needs help.

when are you expecting your package flounder? i need to get my order in somewhere with the quickness.

Kuroi Kaze said:
wow that's a lot of good info there sudo. some of it is a little complicated for me to understand though.

is your final opinion on the green powder pills, is that they're okay?
i'm curious if i'd have any reaction to them.

the sweeteners is pretty eye opening.
do you recommend avoiding muscle milk because of what it is sweetened with?

thanks for the additional advice flounder...there is really a lot to think about.
however i can't just sit idly by and continue to destroy my body.

A daily dose of will power will do you some good. That ain't a put down, it's sound advice. Continue to educate yourself on proper nutrition (you're doing that, good for you), and stick with it. You have a spine, use it.

i'm fighting the good fight.

passed up an entire papa john's sausage and pepporoni pizza last night.
threw the whole thing in the garbage.

ate my boneless skinless chickenbreast for lunch...with pride.

Flounder said:
Pretzles are generally not too bad. Low in fat, etc.

Pretzels are high in calories, high in carbs and high on the GI index. They're like eating white bread. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

High and low GI index foods.
WHICH FOODS ARE LOW OR HIGH G.I?

Unfortunately, most modern - for which read 'processed' - carbohydrates score very high on the G.I index, although some 'natural' foods also score highly. These include white flour (and bread, cakes, pastry, and biscuits made from it), potatoes, broad beans, pretzels, dates, white rice, parsnips, crispbread, watermelon, pineapple, Corn flakes and Cocoa Krispies. Low G.I foods (the ones you should be eating more of) include: Oatmeal, whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes, chick peas, lentils, kidney beans, peas, grapefruit, grapes, kiwi fruit, plums, apples, cherries, peanuts (but watch out, because they're high in fat), pita bread and pumpernickel, low fat yoghurt.

Tommy Seoul said:
Pretzels are high in calories, high in carbs and high on the GI index. They're like eating white bread. Are you sure you know what you're talking about?

I never claimed to be an expert. And while not an ideal snack, compared to alternitives such as nacho & potato chips, they are not "horrible". Also, I'm not real familiar with the whole GI index thing, and its affect on weight loss/gain. Any recommended reading??

thanks for the info tommy.

apples and grapes are about my favorite thing to eat.
so does that mean it's okay to have a serving with every meal, or should i limit it to once a day?

I would refer to the seven habits posted earlier in this thread, and google for the GI index. There has been plenty written about it.

Flounder said:
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Yes, that's right. About 2 Gallons a day (1 gallon minimal). Everything I've ever read, says to try to stay away from soda and flavored drinks. For some reason, it's not the same. And on days you do BJJ training, drink even more to replace the fluids you sweat out.

Also, four liters of water a day should be plenty even if you're engaging in strenuous aerobic exercise. If you drink two gallons of water a day all you'll ever do is drink water and piss.

(smacks own head) ah yeah i forgot.

here's a question... in the 7 habits it says drink nothing with over 0 calories. however diet sodas claim 0 calories, but at the same time people tell me caffiene is bad for weightloss. i went cold turkey on caffiene and day 2 i had headaches all day long, but i seem to be better now.

btw i know a lot of people say "boneless skinless chicken breasts" but what about dark meat? is it worse for you or something? how about turkey? any difference from chicken?

i will be checking into some low fat yohgurt, and i was wonder what opinions of wheat thins and sun chips are. from the box they don't look too bad, but honestly wtf do i really know?

Actually, I've heard caffeine is good for weight loss. I gave up caffeine when I went through what you did. I figure anything that gives you withdrawl like that can't be good.

Dark meat chicken is higher in fat, and that's why chicken breast is better. Turkey breast is generally good for ya (ground, sliced, etc).

Not sure about the wheat thins, but I believe the Sun Chips have a reletively high fat content (not as bad as nachos or potato chips though) so I would stay away from them. Also, you have to be a little careful with the yogurts because of the sugar content.

Kuroi Kaze said:
btw i know a lot of people say "boneless skinless chicken breasts" but what about dark meat? is it worse for you or something? how about turkey? any difference from chicken?

Power foods article on t-nation

Hey, it's practically the leanest piece of meat on the planet...well, with the exception of Linday Lohan's emaciated chest. It's inexpensive and has a nice array of nutrients including the exotic selenium, but everybody in the business just loveschicken.

Chicken must have a helluva' good PR man because turkey is clearly superior in so many ways.

Want to know how lean turkey is? Three ounces of flank steak

thanks for the advice on turkey.

i'll definitely check into eating more of it.

as for sun chips for 28 g they have 6 g of fat.
0 trans fat
1g of the 6 is saturated fat

my whole wheat ritz aren't far off from that either.

caffiene helps with weightloss? then why not chug diet soda all day long?

Personally, I think 6 grams of fat for a bag of chips is a bit much. But that's just me. There are other things I would rather eat that have fat in them.

Caffiene will only go so far as weight loss goes. Most "fat burners" have caffeine as an ingredient. Not sure if there is something chemical behind it, or you're just more active (read: hyperactive) from the caffiene.

the most difficult part of this is figuring out a healthy lifestyle.

sure at first it's a diet and you can handle that, but when you got to perpetuate and figure out things like "where can i eat out?"
"what can i snack on?"
"what's quick to make?"

basically i'm just buying tons of BSCBs (boneless yadda yadda) with brown rice and cooking them up and taking them to work for lunch. sure this is good for now, but it'll be tough to only eat this forever.

are turkey and wheat bread sandwiches aight enough?
also i've seen they have that "white bread style" wheat bread, that may be worth lookin' at.

i'm still reading up and whatnot but i really appreciate the help in here.

btw how much flaxseed oil should i be taking? i'm just taking 1 cap a day, but maybe that's wrong?
also how many grams of fat should i be looking at per day?
do i need to count calories?

thanks for all the help.

Kuroi Kaze said:
the most difficult part of this is figuring out a healthy lifestyle.

sure at first it's a diet and you can handle that, but when you got to perpetuate and figure out things like "where can i eat out?"
"what can i snack on?"
"what's quick to make?"

basically i'm just buying tons of BSCBs (boneless yadda yadda) with brown rice and cooking them up and taking them to work for lunch. sure this is good for now, but it'll be tough to only eat this forever.

are turkey and wheat bread sandwiches aight enough?
also i've seen they have that "white bread style" wheat bread, that may be worth lookin' at.

i'm still reading up and whatnot but i really appreciate the help in here.

btw how much flaxseed oil should i be taking? i'm just taking 1 cap a day, but maybe that's wrong?
also how many grams of fat should i be looking at per day?
do i need to count calories?

thanks for all the help.

Ideally, you want to shift the way you look at eating. The first thing you should ask before eating something is, "Is this good for me?" NOT "Does this taste good?" You're asking a lot of taste oriented questions but you seem to be headed in the right direction.

After a few week of eating clean and healthy, the site of a donut will turn your stomach (as it should) and chili cheese fries will be that last thing on your mind. The benefits, feeling good, higher energy levels, slimmer waist line and a thicker wallet (for some reason shitty/fast food costs more....) are well worth it. Good luck and remember, Eat to live, don't live to eat.

man i can't wait for the day i hate donuts, pizza, and chilli fries.

i find it's pretty cheap to eat like complete garbage thanks to taco bell and mcdonald's.

i'm only doing this because i'm pretty sick of being the heavy guy, and i wanna be able to compete in BJJ better. i feel like my weight holds me back from being as good as i could be.

i'm not worried about how i look too much because i have a hot wife that loves bigger guys.
but i'm worried about my health and being healthy as i age.
don't wanna keel over at 48, y'know?

btw does sex count as cardio?

here's my food diary so far:

breakfast - scrambled eggs made of two egg white and 1 whole egg.
1 pill flax seed oil
1 pill fiber supplement
1 pill multivitamin

a couple hours later i had a small amount of grapes

then later on i ate some whole wheat ritz crackers

for lunch it was BSCB with brown rice with more grapes.

snacked on about 5-7 crackers for afternoon snack.

probably more BSCB for dinner with more brown rice maybe with an apple or orange.

anything i should be changing?

-edit i plan to add in protein shakes and greens pills when i get a reliable source.

Buy "THE ABS DIET" its a good book and a pretty good diet to stick to

Kuroi Kaze said:
man i can't wait for the day i hate donuts, pizza, and chilli fries.

I think this depends more on the person. I could prolly be on the strictest diet known to man for 6 mos. and I would still destroy a McDonald's meal.

Kuroi Kaze said:
i find it's pretty cheap to eat like complete garbage thanks to taco bell and mcdonald's.

You know, this kills me. I always used to hear, "stop eating fast food and save money" or "Pack a lunch, it's cheaper". Well to tell the truth, while it may be slightly cheaper it's not that much, especially when you factor in the drink, etc.

Eating out is always a challenge. But you just need to make wise decisions. What you eat out may not be perfect, but try to make good decisions. Veggies instead of fries, etc. Also, even if it's not on the menu, most places will make food to your specifications. You can even eat at McDonalds or Wendy's if you're strong. Both have grilled chicken sandwiches that aren't that bad. Hell, McDonalds even has a wheat bun for their sandwich i believe.

You don't NEED to count calories, but I think it's helpful, especially when you're first starting. Otherwise, you may be eating a meal that you think is good, but it's not. Like before christmas, I started counting my calorise. I made this lunch one day of bean & beef burritos. They were made with lowfat beef, fat free beans, wheat tortillas, and a very little bit of cheese. I had two of these thinking these were really good. Lowfat, high protien, the whole deal. Well this lunch I had had OVER 1000 calories. Unfortunately, I figured the calories AFTER I ate. There's great software at Calorieking.com. They have a two week trial for you to check it out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back