Complete N00b needs help.

that sounds like a large breakfast, 3 egg omlette, bacon, toast, and oatmeal with strawberries?
right now i eat oatmeal every morning, but i am bad and get the apple cinnamon stuff. i guess plain with some splenda might not be a bad idea.

i've been told that stuff like sweet'n'low and splenda are actually not conducive to losing weight. any thoughts?

so an actual apple is a good afternoon snack? cool.

okay i'll go to wal-mart for all that stuff, but is there any particular brands i should be partial to?
also a lot of guys seem to have a favorite site for these sorts of things due to super-low-cost or fast shipping or whatever advantage there is.

Kuroi Kaze said:
that sounds like a large breakfast, 3 egg omlette, bacon, toast, and oatmeal with strawberries?
right now i eat oatmeal every morning, but i am bad and get the apple cinnamon stuff. i guess plain with some splenda might not be a bad idea.

i've been told that stuff like sweet'n'low and splenda are actually not conducive to losing weight. any thoughts?

okay i'll go to wal-mart for all that stuff, but is there any particular brands i should be partial to?
also a lot of guys seem to have a favorite site for these sorts of things due to super-low-cost or fast shipping or whatever advantage there is.

Not 3 eggs. 2 eggwhites and 1 egg. It really isn't that much. I get the tube of Quaker Oats. Don't get the packet shit. Get real oatmeal.

Splenda is small doses isn't too bad for you. There is no way I can eat oatmeal without it.

Breakfast is the most important meal. The protein in the eggs and turkey bacon, combined with the whole oats will keep you from getting hungry mid-morning.

And of course all these habits/suggestions are ideal. Do the best you can, and you'll be fine. If you only drink a gallon of water, then so be it. If you only have 4 or 5 meals instead of 6, then thats fine too. Just do the best you can with your lifestyle. Also, virtually all dieters have "off days" where they take a day to not be so strict on themselves. It makes dieting a little easier. How "off" that day is depends on you, and your will power and motivation. Some people splurge the whole day, while others will just splurge on a single meal. Others will even wean themselves on the "off day". ie they have a full splurge day, and then slowly reduce it to 2 off meals, then one, then maybe an off item. Not sure, but you may want to try GNC and their gold club for your suppliments. You get 20% off when you sign up, then like 20% off once a month or somtheing like that. Not sure how the pricing compares to online or walmart though.

Kuroi Kaze said:

green/fiber
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=289200

green powder taste
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=297932

artificial sweeteners
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=315576

supplement brand reviews
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?p=7570465

wow that's a lot of good info there sudo. some of it is a little complicated for me to understand though.

is your final opinion on the green powder pills, is that they're okay?
i'm curious if i'd have any reaction to them.

the sweeteners is pretty eye opening.
do you recommend avoiding muscle milk because of what it is sweetened with?

thanks for the additional advice flounder...there is really a lot to think about.
however i can't just sit idly by and continue to destroy my body.

Kuroi Kaze said:
wow that's a lot of good info there sudo. some of it is a little complicated for me to understand though.

is your final opinion on the green powder pills, is that they're okay?
i'm curious if i'd have any reaction to them.

the sweeteners is pretty eye opening.
do you recommend avoiding muscle milk because of what it is sweetened with?

thanks for the additional advice flounder...there is really a lot to think about.
however i can't just sit idly by and continue to destroy my body.

if u wana spend a few extra dollars for green pills then that's ur choice.. i find the pills more convenient, but the powder i believe is probably more effective..

if u wana drink muscle milk, then that's ur choice, me personally, i am allergic to casein protein so i can't drink MM.. some all natural whey protein alternatives are Optimum Nutrition's 100% Natural Whey, and Next Protein's Designer Whey - Vanilla flavor.. maybe chocolate too? double-check b4 u buy

GNC makes a good multi-vitamin that is popular with this forum.. "mega man green" i believe

Kuroi Kaze said:
what's there to explain?

green + me = hives + sometimes vomiting

however, mysteriously peas do not bring this about. though i believe i'm told they count as a starch by some accounts. maybe you can enlighten me.
That's not an answer.

Obviously you've never been to a doctor OR nutritionist to evaluate your condition to overcome it.

Look, bro, MM recently posted these 7 important habits, and I think they're excellent;

Habit 1: Eat every 2-3 hours.

Habit 2: Eat complete, lean protein with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 3: Eat vegetables with each feeding opportunity.

Habit 4: Eat veggies/fruits with any meal. Eat "other carbs" only after exercise.

Habit 5: Eat healthy fats daily.

Habit 6: Don't drink beverages (soda, beer, etc.) with more than 0 calories.

Habit 7: Eat whole foods whenever possible.

I suppose I would add:

#8: Drink water constantly- even if you're not thirsty.

Look at 3 and 4. That's 25% of the rules! Before implementing *any* changes go to a General Practitioner and get diagnosed! That's not normal.

Alright, quick scenario:

You've been selected as the top competitor on your MMA team and will be fighting at PRIDE NYE. You're paired up with a top strength and conditioning coach to get you ready for the event. He tells you:

"You need to improve your body comp. I give this advice to all my athletes - eat 50g of green veggies per day, with protein and fat at every meal for fourteen days. Otherwise I won't train you."

Now what would you do? Sit there and say "oh well, I'm going to miss out on training with one of the best S+C coaches the world has ever known," or, say "Shit. I better get this problem diagnosed ASAP."

Charles Poliquin does this with all of his clients, who are some of the top professional athletes in the world. And these are people in succeed in SPITE of their training and nutrition, yet he STiLL makes them do this.

have you ever had an allergy run?

they basically subject you to a lot of different substances and they do some blood work.
basically they say hmmm, it seems you might have an allergic reaction here.
this was diagnosed years and years ago so please get off my back for specifics.

26 years of this crap, so just help a brotha out and quit being so confrontational.

got up this morning, did cardio...had mostly white scrabled eggs, took flaxseed oil, multivitamin, and fiber supplement. drank big glass of water. lunch is a very small amount of white rice (didn't get brown yet) and a skinless, boneless chicken breast.

so begins day 1.

good luck man. also, another couple things to remember. Its a marathon, not a sprint. Even if the weight loss is low, you need to be in it for the long run. Also, if you do fall of the wagon, you need to get back on asap.

thanks for the help and support.

i got up this morning and did some running.

wow my ankles and knees were popping like crazy.

so i'm working on drinking all this goddamn water. i hate water.

I'm not real big on water either. I take a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle and fill it with ice and a decent water, and its not so bad. You'll be surprised how quick it goes. I still need to drink diet coke with food though. For me Food + Water dont mix. For me drinking my water requirements is still a work in progress.

well i'm drinking my 7th 14-16 oz glass of water.

only about 7 more to go. :(

well end of the day here for me.

i've put away 8 or 9 glasses.

got to load up some more when i get home.

Flounder said:
I'm not real big on water either. I take a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle and fill it with ice and a decent water, and its not so bad. You'll be surprised how quick it goes. I still need to drink diet coke with food though. For me Food + Water dont mix. For me drinking my water requirements is still a work in progress.

I do the same as you, fill the 32 oz. Gatorade bottle and drink it four times through the day to equal an even gallon. I don't mind water, but I don't drink anything BUT it... if I did drink anything on the side, I'd have a hard time fitting in all that water.

On a related note, I didn't get hip to adding the ice to it until recently. Ice cold water = better metabolism, I never really thought of icing the water down till then.

Eat something salty with your water, like a whole wheat cracker or something. The salt helps deliver the water to your system. Otherwise, you will just be pissing it straight through.

ice cold and take some salt in with it. solid advice

are small pieces of pretzels appropriate? that's all i've had access to today.

-oh yeah someone suggest a place to buy muscle milk or another of their favorite protein shake

I may have an online source for MM. Let see how long it takes my order to get here, etc. If it goes well, I'll give them big props!! Pretzles are generally not too bad. Low in fat, etc. Also, while I guess it doesn't hurt, I don't think you need to ingest salt with your water. While salt helps water retention, I don't think it's necessary for the uptake of the water. If you're getting a constant supply of water, your body will take what it needs. You may argue that sports drinks have sodium, but thats more to replenish the salt depleted during sweating, rather then helping the hydration process.

Back