Coker might change Kimbo type fights to 3 min rds

Well I never watched those events so will just comment based on what you have said about them in your comment above. Monster Ratings says it all. Someone was clamoring for more.

Maby not you exactly but I seen post claiming.... this put MMA back 20 years.... this put bellator back ...yadda yadda yadda.... No it didn't. It is as the other poster said. People didn't watch because they expected a great display of MMA. That fight didn't represent MMA. It was a backyard fight placed on a Bellator event for entertainment. People still can't stop talking about the event, they did record ratings. It was a success. Kimbo will fight again and Pull in great numbers again. And in no way will it hurt MMA or Bellator.
I think it hurt Bellator significantly. No one will take their legitimate fighters seriously after a card like that. That's why Brooks wants to jet. He's the champ of a circus, and since he isn't a clown, there's no reason to watch him.

Or, you know, don't organize fights between people who might die due to their state of health.

Seriously. Dave's advice should have been stop doing this shit. It's all fun and games until someone dies.

Seriously. Dave's advice should have been stop doing this shit. It's all fun and games until someone dies.

But being that he covers the business and knows the players (Coker), he knows after pulling those ratings that they will do it again.
All Viacom cares about is ratings for Spike!

They just need to make the time between rounds longer! Good for advertisement too!

They better not rob me of my entertainment like that. Last two minutes of a Kimbo round are the best part.

They had some pretty good ratings for this fight, but afterwards, who would want to watch either fight again?

Kimbo's skills may be sub par, but he should be able to handle 5 minute rounds since he is a veteran. Dada's problem wasn't that he had to fight 5 minute rounds, it was that he cut 40 pounds and nearly died of organ failure. Giving him 3 minute rounds wouldn't necessarily fix that. He just didn't belong in the ring.

This makes me appreciate Butterbean's cardio all that much more. He could have beat, in his worst shape, Kimbo and Dada at the same time.

I wouldn't mind having five three minute rounds be the standard, more rounds lessens the impact of bad judging.

I think it hurt Bellator significantly. No one will take their legitimate fighters seriously after a card like that. That's why Brooks wants to jet. He's the champ of a circus, and since he isn't a clown, there's no reason to watch him.

I disagree, you give people little credit. Fighter A isn't going to be judged because of something fighter B did or because he is in the same promotion as fighter B.

The same reasons to watch Brooks are still there that were there before Bellator 149 happened.

Lol probably should just get rid of these kind of fights in general. But oh well. Bellator gonna Bellator.
Agreed. It would be smart by Bellator to just get rid of the fights that actually bring in the ratings.

Sounds like it might be a good idea. They should make Kimbo vs. Royce next. I think Royce would get Kimbo gassed and then sub him.

Sounds like it might be a good idea. They should make Kimbo vs. Royce next. I think Royce would get Kimbo gassed and then sub him.
I think that's the way to go unless they can get Saku and do Royce vs. Saku III.

It's pretty cool that all a company has to do to become a top promotion now is: Let fighters have sponsors. Put on quality fights (any level as long as it's even), not screw over fighters with missed payments, and just keep putting on events that aren't cringeworthy.

Between OneFC, UFC, Bellator, and others just looking terrible lately... you just have to get a moderate TV deal and not screw up and you're in the conversation as a top company.

I wouldn't mind having five three minute rounds be the standard, more rounds lessens the impact of bad judging.
3 minutes is too short. I would rather keep the rounds the way they are and make points on judges' score cards cumulative instead of round-by-round. Cumulative point scoring would be the best way to minimize judges' mistakes.

Back