Coker might change Kimbo type fights to 3 min rds

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dave Meltzer said on his audio show that he contacted Coker to congratulate him on the ratings success, but he suggested that they go to 3 minute rounds for these Kimbo/Shamrock type fights.
Coker told him that they are already considering it.

lol this is more then pathetic, its an embarrassment for the whole of mma.

they gassed out after like 40 seconds in the fight, 3minutes would still be too much for such calliber fighters

Good idea. Even then they will gas in the 2nd,3rd round. But i think thats the only way to prevent this kind of desaster.

they gassed out after like 40 seconds in the fight, 3minutes would still be too much for such calliber fighters

3 rounds x 1 minute, that's all we need

would these still be pro fight then? or would it then become amateur rules?

Dave Meltzer said on his audio show that he contacted Coker to congratulate him on the ratings success, but he suggested that they go to 3 minute rounds for these Kimbo/Shamrock type fights.
Coker told him that they are already considering it.
This is beyond absurd. If they can't do 5 minute rounds, they shouldn't be fighting.

To even have to suggest that it leaves a complete black eye on the sport of MMA.

Coker stop treating the sport like a god damn joke.

How about taking the money you spend "those kind of fights" and use to attract name value guys from the UFC. They bring ratings in also and won't leave you with the shit show you gave us Friday.

Good idea. Even then they will gas in the 2nd,3rd round. But i think thats the only way to prevent this kind of desaster.

No, the best way to prevent disaster during freak show fights is to avoid them altogether.

4 minutes and give an extra 20 seconds to recover between rounds. Taking two minutes away is too much. Most of those type of fights will end via TKO / KO any ways. Or if they feed guys like Kimbo to someone good he gets taking down and subbed. Anyone watching just to tune in to see a Kimbo type fight won't even notice the 1 minute gone or extra 20 or so seconds of recovery time. They will notice 2 minutes.

This is not a black eye on MMA. This is niche in MMA that will bring / keep more viewers watching. Or get viewers to watch that other wise wouldn't be. They are just fun match ups made purely for entertainment.

4 minutes and give an extra 20 seconds to recover between rounds. Taking two minutes away is too much. Most of those type of fights will end via TKO / KO any ways. Or if they feed guys like Kimbo to someone good he gets taking down and subbed. Anyone watching just to tune in to see a Kimbo type fight won't even notice the 1 minute gone or extra 20 or so seconds of recovery time. They will notice 2 minutes.

This is not a black eye on MMA. This is niche in MMA that will bring / keep more viewers watching. Or get viewers to watch that other wise wouldn't be. They are just fun match ups made purely for entertainment.
You shouldn't have to change the rules for certain fighters. If it's unhealty for some to fight 5 minute rounds, it's unhealthy for them to fight at all.

You shouldn't have to change the rules for certain fighters. If it's unhealty for some to fight 5 minute rounds, it's unhealthy for them to fight at all.

I have no problem with these type of fights staying 5 minutes. I was just making a suggestion that I think is much better than dropping 2 minutes out of each round.

But to address your comment, I don't see how dropping 1 minute from a round isn't the same as any other specialized rules match. Fighters and promoters can agree to what ever rules they want to have in a fight within the rules they have to follow themselves. If they feel as 4 minute fights give better entertainment for the fans they can do it. If fans don't agree vote with your eyes and don't watch. Enough do this and chances are they won't do it again.

Dam a lot of butthurt fans on here. People tune in to see kimbo. They didn't tune in to see a legit fight. Just how when people tuned in to watch butter bean. Did it shit on boxing? No. They tuned in to watch a freakshow

I've seen plenty of 3x3 fights on regional cards. Some events go back and forth between 3x3 and 3x5 fights.

Wasn't the Yamma tournament 3x3 minute rounds?

Doesn't bother me.

Dam a lot of butthurt fans on here. People tune in to see kimbo. They didn't tune in to see a legit fight. Just how when people tuned in to watch butter bean. Did it shit on boxing? No. They tuned in to watch a freakshow

Exactly, I don't understand why more don't get this.

Or, you know, don't organize fights between people who might die due to their state of health.

Exactly, I don't understand why more don't get this.
What don't we get? It doesn't take a genius to realize that big names and freakshows draw eyeballs. It's the same reason Celebrity Boxing did monster ratings. I don't recall any boxing fans clamoring for more Screech fights tho.

Lol probably should just get rid of these kind of fights in general. But oh well. Bellator gonna Bellator.

What don't we get? It doesn't take a genius to realize that big names and freakshows draw eyeballs. It's the same reason Celebrity Boxing did monster ratings. I don't recall any boxing fans clamoring for more Screech fights tho.

Well I never watched those events so will just comment based on what you have said about them in your comment above. Monster Ratings says it all. Someone was clamoring for more.

Maby not you exactly but I seen post claiming.... this put MMA back 20 years.... this put bellator back ...yadda yadda yadda.... No it didn't. It is as the other poster said. People didn't watch because they expected a great display of MMA. That fight didn't represent MMA. It was a backyard fight placed on a Bellator event for entertainment. People still can't stop talking about the event, they did record ratings. It was a success. Kimbo will fight again and Pull in great numbers again. And in no way will it hurt MMA or Bellator.

Back