Cody Garbrandt explains unearthed tweets using N-word as product of past: it's a street word.

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
“First and foremost, it shouldn’t be embarrasing,” Garbrandt told MMAjunkie’s John Morgan on Thursday. “I’m going to be a man and address it once, and that’s it.”

Garbrandt, 27, said he grew up using the epithet as a figure of speech among friends, and he meant no harm when he posted the messages, which were tweeted between January 2012 and March 2013 and screen-captured and resurfaced Wednesday

“It’s lyrics,” Garbrandt said. “I grew up hanging out with blacks, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, selling drugs. That’s a street word we would always say. It wasn’t like I was using derogatory words toward anyone. That’s how we grew up. It was kind of normal. That’s it. It’s a learning experience for a lot of people to not use that word in this day an age.”

Garbrandt appeared contrite about his past behavior but grew agitated when pointing out the age of his tweets.

“Everyone’s just trying to figure out some negativity,” he said. “I’m so positive, and I have great things going on this week. Nothing’s deterring me from my focus. That’s that. It’s the last time I’ll address this question. And I’m actually done with this interview with you, as well.”

https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/ufc-c...s-n-word-tweets/amp?__twitter_impression=true

<{monica}>was young

The embarrassing part is that he felt the need to address it, embarrassing for community that is.

Who cares if he used the N-word jeez.. Some people have way too many free time on their hands to get bothered by stuff like this

eh its true.

I started noticing a shift to it being used among other races in my teens. I distinctly remember being in junior high shocked at a hispanic kid coming over and referring to a mutual black friend as :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and i looked at the black kid expecting him to get up from his chair and pop the Hispanic kid but he instead looked at me weird for being surprised by it.

I work in a jail now and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: flies around all day among the races. I think its retarded either way but times have changed.

can't believe I actually agree with Necktats on something

Fine. Issue resolved, surely?

Hopefully this completely meaningless problem is now over.

What a cuck response <36> he should learn a thing or two from Platinum Mike Perry

People hunting through old socia media posts for potentially embarassing stuff that people said years ago is lame.

he actually handled himself pretty well, I'm surprised

Okay, so he explained this one with pretty good logic.

Now explain the neck tats.

I've never really liked him, but he's earned my respect with the way he handled this.

only old sad tree hugging hippies who have a day off from protesting against Donald trump and gay marriage have time to get pissy about this

I am the CEO and co-founder of the real ninja society, We are pleased to announce that Mr Cody Ray Allen Garbrandt has been officially accepted into the real ninja society and his real ninja pass and welcome pack was posted today and shall arrive with him shortly.

I don't like the usage of the word, but he's not wrong.
It is unfortunately used a lot. When i was in high school a white dude couldn't say it though or that woulda been his ass, but somehow it's become 'cool' now. I dont get it, nor do i want to

I hate this 2018 shit, digging up something someone said 10 years ago and crucifying them for it.

Last edited:
eh its true.

I started noticing a shift to it being used among other races in my teens. I distinctly remember being in junior high shocked at a hispanic kid coming over and referring to a mutual black friend as :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

and i looked at the black kid expecting him to get up from his chair and pop the Hispanic kid but he instead looked at me weird for being surprised by it.

I work in a jail now and :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: flies around all day among the races. I think its retarded either way but times have changed.
The N word only flies among people who are not white in most cases. Watch the (I think it was) the Kendrick Lamar concert where he calls up a white girl to rap his song and she says N'a and he said "Woah you can't say that" and the crowd erupted. Keep in mind Kendrick chose a white girl to rap a song with him that features the N word the most out of all his songs.

I don't care what color you are, using the N-word as a term of endearment in any form or fashion makes you sound dumb and ignorant. And anyone who justifies taking a word that was literally the last word hundreds of thousands of people heard before being murdered and using it as a term of endearment by changing a few letters sound dumber than Vanilla Ice trying to justify sampling "Under Pressure" and having the audacity to say "it's not the same."

There's a huge problem with Maori, Polynesians and even some Caucasians saying it here in New Zealand. I get that Hip Hop culture is global now and all that stuff but you just really sound like an idiot saying it if you're not black. I also think most of the folks that use the word don't think about how it's been used in a historical context. I don't think the way Cody was using it was derogatory but it was definitely not well thought out either.

Back