CM Punk: "It might not work out!"

No, it isn't. There really wasn't a lot of fighters to choose from that an AC would approve, so you pretty much have to handpick.

What does "rise to the occasion mean?" In this context it means "be good enough to fight in the UFC."

If it means that, then it's obvious that it is impossible to prove that you are good enough if you are fighting another person who hasn't proven that they are good enough.

How is that not obvious to you?

He should throw Gall a few grand to take a dive. I'm sure there are lots of UFC fighters willing to fall for a few shekels. Just look at their earnings.

No matter what happens he came into this deciding he wanted to fight for real.

Win or lose I'll respect him for doing the work and actually entering the octagon.

He has more balls than a huge percentage of Sherdog.

Not really. I'd step into the octagon if they'd let me. I'd get my ass kicked just like he will.

Why should we respect him for that? He's getting an opportunity that he hasn't worked for or earned in any way.

You must be one of those WWF guys.

Awesome. Sincerely hope he does well, really could only be good for the sport either way, imo.

What does "rise to the occasion mean?" In this context it means "be good enough to fight in the UFC."
...or actually fight in an MMA match.

If it means that, then it's obvious that it is impossible to prove that you are good enough if you are fighting another person who hasn't proven that they are good enough.

How is that not obvious to you?
Well, Gall did get an actual test in an UFC fight and passed.

...or actually fight in an MMA match.

Well, Gall did get an actual test in an UFC fight and passed.

Punk could have a real MMA fight anywhere if that's what he was really after. But he wants the UFC's legitimacy behind his fight. But since his opponent doesn't belong in the UFC anyway, it only looks legit to suckers who don't know any better.

And if you consider Mike Jackson a legitimate UFC test, then we have nothing further to discuss.

Punk could have a real MMA fight anywhere if that's what he was really after.
Sure. Can't beat a payday though, and if the UFC is willing to pay him, why should he not do it?

You have a very overromanticised notion of what this sport is.

Win or lose I'll respect him for doing the work and actually entering the octagon.

A huge percentage of Sherdog is an understatement.
With the exception of the few pro fighters who lurk the site, i'd say it's closer to virtually all of Sherdog.

If "he just wants to see if he can rise to the occasion," then what's with the handpicked opponent?

Stacking the deck a bit, isn't it?

Who should a 0-0 fighter who has barely had any training compared to his counterparts fight then you fucking tard?

He has more balls than 99.99% of Sherdoggers!

I think a good chunk of sherdog would step into the octagon given the chance.. But usually the UFC isn't in the business of giving people their first ever fight

99.99% of sherdoggers can talk a lot of shit but when they come face to face against a real MMA fighter they'd shit there pants. Over the past couple years I've seen people walking into the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu school I train at roaring like a lion hot shots and 99.99% limp out like a wounded baby after just a few minutes.

Errrr but he is in the UFC......you can't just conveniently forget that.
I'm not forgetting that, you idiot.

I'm calling it bullshit.

Are you really this stupid?

He's a likable guy, I just hope the fight doesn't end up going like this:

I'm not watching some video designed to promote a fake fighter who faked his way into the UFC to fight a handpicked opponent just for an obvious cash grab.

Meanwhile real fighters who have been working their asses off for years are getting paid shit and won't get any promotional push.

Normally I don't wish failure upon anyone...but I don't think I've ever wanted to see a fighter get smashed so bad in my entire life.
Quit crying.

He's been practicing jiujitsu with AJ Lee

Speak for yourself pussy. I'd fight Stipe Miocic tonight if Dana payed me even half of what this Punk gets.

Oh and btw, he has done shit all so far, which requires zero amount of balls..

He does not need the money and at 37 you already passed your physical prime years ago. He has balls.

Lol at all the people acting like he's some noble brave soul.

If he wanted to fight for the love of the game he'd have started out small and took a fight in the minors like Brock and the other pro wrestler in Bellator. All this guy is doing is using his old wrestling fame to make a quick buck off the UFC I can assure you he ain't getting anything under 6 figures.

Say what you want about the guy, as most people (including myself) have...but out of all the criticism I think him doing it for the money should be last on the list.
More fame, respect, a poke at the WWE, or just being competitive are the reasons I see him doing this. A guy like CM Punk from what Ive seen doesnt seem greedy in the money department. Just my $.02

Back