CM Punk: "It might not work out!"

He's a realist, and he's letting it all ride on himself so he's got to keep those odds juicy.

He's no fool.

Bless him, Gall is going to beat him within an inch of his life.

Last edited:
It won't work out. Fred Ettish 2.0 here we go.

No matter what happens he came into this deciding he wanted to fight for real.

Win or lose I'll respect him for doing the work and actually entering the octagon.

He has more balls than a huge percentage of Sherdog.

I could have tell him that 18 months ago and saved hundreds (if not thousands) of shitty threads here because of him.

This guy gets a lot of shit (and I've given him my fair share) but he's being pretty honest with himself about all this. He's not saying he's coming in to take the title or become the greatest, he just wants to see if he can fight and win and rise to the occasion. Have to give him some respect for that.

I'm not watching some video designed to promote a fake fighter who faked his way into the UFC to fight a handpicked opponent just for an obvious cash grab.

Meanwhile real fighters who have been working their asses off for years are getting paid shit and won't get any promotional push.

Normally I don't wish failure upon anyone...but I don't think I've ever wanted to see a fighter get smashed so bad in my entire life.

This guy gets a lot of shit (and I've given him my fair share) but he's being pretty honest with himself about all this. He's not saying he's coming in to take the title or become the greatest, he just wants to see if he can fight and win and rise to the occasion. Have to give him some respect for that.
If "he just wants to see if he can rise to the occasion," then what's with the handpicked opponent?

Stacking the deck a bit, isn't it?

Lol at all the people acting like he's some noble brave soul.

If he wanted to fight for the love of the game he'd have started out small and took a fight in the minors like Brock and the other pro wrestler in Bellator. All this guy is doing is using his old wrestling fame to make a quick buck off the UFC I can assure you he ain't getting anything under 6 figures.

No matter what happens he came into this deciding he wanted to fight for real.

Win or lose I'll respect him for doing the work and actually entering the octagon.

He has more balls than a huge percentage of Sherdog.

I think a good chunk of sherdog would step into the octagon given the chance.. But usually the UFC isn't in the business of giving people their first ever fight

Props to Punk.

I respect him for wanting to give it a go, but really, why isn't this fight just in a different org on Fight Pass? He doesn't deserve the shot but he has it none the less. Hopefully it's not a total train wreck for him but I have a hard time seeing him do well.

If "he just wants to see if he can rise to the occasion," then what's with the handpicked opponent?

Stacking the deck a bit, isn't it?
Oh absolutely, 100% there's politics involved. The UFC want and need this guy to win if they want to make money off him.....and they damn sure do. He's passing over guys who worked hard to make 12/12 on the under card. That's my problem with him, but I also get that he made a star of himself in WWE and he going to get the Brock treatment. The way the UFC is run now, your name is worth more than your ranking so he's going to cash in on that an probably make a mint.

It's gross that he's probably going to make as much as Hendo who's been fighting for like 20 years but the UFC just let a guy like Ben Saunders go.

Like I said, I respect the guy for having the balls to step in the cage and for not lying to himself about what his career is (I doubt I'd fight a handpicked opponent in the UFC) but yeah, I'm not disagreeing with you that he's been given some serious special treatment.

I love this. Not every fight- even in coveted spots on UFC PPVs- has to advance the sport. This is going to be a lot of fun, regardless of what happens.

I don't like CM Punk, but I really hope he wins so that it upsets the people who keep going on about the "fake wrasslin is ruining the UFC" thing.

What a pointless and over American video that was...

This.

The Rocky-Hollywood style video package does not belong here.

Punk's promo video should be something to the tune of Curb your enthusiasm opening jingle.

I understand not liking the UFC signing him and the push he has received etc. However, Punk is a good guy and has been very respectful and deferential to everyone. He also didn't sign a deal and hop in the octogan for a cash grab like Dada or a Jose Canseco deal. The guy has spent close to 2 years of his life training and rehabbing from an injury to try this. Whereas most guys in MMA get to fail at first quietly infront of a couple hundred people in some local show, he is doing it in front of millions. Is he getting a chance others don't? Of course, but that's prize fighting. Money is first and that's why Nick Diaz can go away for a year or more with O wins since 2011 and step right into a main event or the title picture. He is famous and he is going to make Stipe a lot of extra money with the ppv buys he generates.

Back