City of Paris plans to sue Fox News

Yeah, I saw the video of that Fox News "expert" showing a map of Paris with "no go zones" for non muslims.

This is what happens when "journalists" talk about places they've never been, never lived in, and don't know a shit about. And people are going to believe this kind of things.

There is some types of suburbs where there is huge criminality in French cities, but, this has nothing to do with muslims. Every kind of people live in those suburbs (a majority of African, Portuguese, and Maghreb immigrates). This is poverty.

You can compare those suburbs to the Bronx some decades ago.

Sounds like something an authoritarian would say before shutting down the news outlets criticizing him. That's kind of a problem.

Problems caused by free speech can be much more safely resolved by more free speech. In the case of Fox they already issued corrections themselves as the article points out. Feel free to advertise your version of the truth further.

Except that what Fox said is neither an honest mistake nor a criticism of the mayor's policies, they actively and willingly lied to an audience they know perfectly well usually use them as their one and only source of information. IMO it's Fox that acts like an authoritarian threat, except that their political side isn't in power.

free speech is one thing, but it seems like fixed news just outright started lying, and if that hurts tourism in paris, then they have every right to seek justice. that's how i see this, i doubt they will win, but fox has just been outright lying, that idiot jindal too.

Could someone explain this Jindal guy? He seems like an Indian version of Ted Cruz except more batshit crazy and I hear he's a chance of VP nominee. Is Louisiana doing really well and is that his appeal?

Could someone explain this Jindal guy? He seems like an Indian version of Ted Cruz except more batshit crazy and I hear he's a chance of VP nominee. Is Louisiana doing really well and is that his appeal?
Your description of him is apt, he's a crazier version of Cruz (his ethnicity is irrelevant to that except insofar as the GOP points to him as an example of diversity). And no, Louisiana is not doing well. Jindal regularly talks about how LA growth has outpaced national growth and, for some timespans, he's correct. That has resulted in LA moving from 47th shittiest to 46th shittiest. Woohoo?

France has two options. Go to the French Court, win and collect no money (because it cannot be enforced.) Bring it to the United States Court, have it dismissed. Thats about it.

This is why i said these french ****s are full of shit........they have no problem bashing muslims all the time, but the moment you bash them they either arrest you or sue you.

(his ethnicity is irrelevant to that except insofar as the GOP points to him as an example of diversity).
Hold on there sir, someone's ethnicity is critically-important to all political discourse in that it demonstrates their detractors are racists.

Hold on there sir, someone's ethnicity is critically-important to all political discourse in that it demonstrates their detractors are racists.
Tell you what, if Jindal has people protesting him on the grounds that he's--based on nothing--not a US citizen, photoshops him into Indian garb and talks about him as an "anti-imperialist" blah, blah, blah, I'll happily point to his protestors and elected officials that echo those sentiments as racists.

I also still don't know why labeling--by protestors, bad filmmakers, and members of congress--of Obama as anti-imperialist or anti-colonial was done as a negative. Our country has its roots in anti-imperialism and anti-colonialism. The more recent anti-colonialism sentiment Obama was tied to was in Africa though, maybe that's it.

This is why i said these french ****s are full of shit........they have no problem bashing muslims all the time, but the moment you bash them they either arrest you or sue you.

Makes a lot of since this Paris complains about lies targeting Muslims...

I also still don't know why labeling--by protestors, bad filmmakers, and members of congress--of Obama as anti-imperialist or anti-colonial was done as a negative. Our country has its roots in anti-imperialism and anti-colonialism. The more recent anti-colonialism sentiment Obama was tied to was in Africa though, maybe that's it.

Wut?

It's exactly the opposite. The US's entire history is based on imperialism and colonialism. From the beginning they were dead set on conquering and expanding westward and southward as far as possible. Around the turn of the 19th century the big question was, how far south to expand. Only till Cuba? Down to Mexico? The entire hemisphere??

Imperialism and colonialism are, rightfully, discredited ideas and values and something that supposedly only the European powers did, not the freedom-loving US. Right-wingers railing against it is just a Freudian slip, IMO.

Wut?

It's exactly the opposite. The US's entire history is based on imperialism and colonialism. From the beginning they were dead set on conquering and expanding westward and southward as far as possible. Around the turn of the 19th century the big question was, how far south to expand. Only till Cuba? Down to Mexico? The entire hemisphere??

Imperialism and colonialism are, rightfully, discredited ideas and values and something that supposedly only the European powers did, not the freedom-loving US. Right-wingers railing against it is just a Freudian slip, IMO.
Sure, just given that our founding fathers threw off their "imperial yoke" I have found the US opposition to independence by colonies of our allies frustrating. The whole Obama as "Anti-colonial" was really just about Africa and race, pretty blatantly frankly.

Tell you what, if Jindal has people protesting him on the grounds that he's--based on nothing--not a US citizen, photoshops him into Indian garb and talks about him as an "anti-imperialist" blah, blah, blah, I'll happily point to his protestors and elected officials that echo those sentiments as racists.

1. uh yeah Jindal has had his citizenship challenged. And released his birth certificate immediately... unlike some other politicians who dragged the story out forever.
2. Only the Indian garb one would actually be racist of course.
3. Your extreme caution here is for naught, you don't get to make the rules. Opposition over everything from veracity in a speech to tax policy is racist, we have precedent for this.

So not knowing what they mean or why it's bad, your default is to accuse them of racism?

I would guess the term connotes more political views and agendas than a simple definition based on the roots off the words would imply. Perhaps they even fit current politics in surprising ways.

So not knowing what they mean or why it's bad, your default is to accuse them of racism?

I would guess the term connotes more political views and agendas than a simple definition based on the roots off the words would imply. Perhaps they even fit current politics in surprising ways.
Actually I was being snide. The comments were usually made in reference to colonial action by European countries in Africa with a pretty clear race basis.
The best you can say is that it is a stupid term to use because, based on what we say this country is supposed to be about, opposing colonial occupations should be the default.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back