Citations & arrests plummeting in New York after the murder of Officer Ramos and Liu

Arkain2K

Si vis pacem, para bellum
@Steel
Reaction score
NYPD traffic tickets and summonses for minor offenses have dropped off by a staggering 94 percent following the execution of two cops — as officers feel betrayed by the mayor and fear for their safety, The Post has learned.

Citations for traffic violations fell by 94 percent, from 10,069 to 587, during that time frame.

Summonses for low-level offenses like public drinking and urination also plunged 94 percent — from 4,831 to 300.

Even parking violations are way down, dropping by 92 percent, from 14,699 to 1,241.

Drug arrests by cops assigned to the NYPD’s Organized Crime Control Bureau — which are part of the overall number — dropped by 84 percent, from 382 to 63.

http://nypost.com/2014/12/29/arrests-plummet-following-execution-of-two-cops/

That'll teach em.

(I stole that line form somewhere else)

I thought the comments by the mayor were pretty honest. He has a bi-racial child and he had to balance the two realities of wanting to raise his son to respect authority and admire police but also couldn't disregard the reality that there are sometimes two sets of rules depending on color and he needs to know about it as a matter of practicality and safety.

And as far as these stats, IMO it shows the police are thinking twice about getting in a possible life and death situation over something minor. But this isn't a good situation overall. What one would hope would come out of some terrible events like the ones that have transpired is that officers start using a little more discretion before deciding to use lethal force against anyone and especially against black men. And when that happens long enough, you start to see more trust between the people and the police. Citizens and police are supposed to be on the same side. There is no way to justify killing two police officers that did nothing wrong simply because they share a badge with others. That is its own form of bigotry. And if people think police being afraid to engage to stop crime is a good thing, wait until that crime escalates or hits a little closer to home. One hopes it never would have had to come to this. But now that it has, people have to start making serious choices. If we start dividing things by color or badges instead of criminal and citizen then we are all in for a world of hurt. And enough of the wrong people have been hurt already. You never balance those scales by killing more innocent people, no matter what side you are on.

Seems to show that NYC doesnt fall in to chaos when the police force are absent.

NYC use to be a shit hole. I'd say the law enforcement there really played a big part. But we know the parking ticket$ $erve it'$ Purpo$e for the city.

Awe man the city won't be getting enough income from parking tickets, I guess they are gonna be forced to cut police jobs. On the plus side this indicates a drop in crime so we don't really need such a large police force!

RIP to those cops that got killed, but I don't think they would want their legacy associated with a police force shirking its responsibility.

I'm going to try and be respectful about their position. I understand that policing is dangerous work and every interaction can be life threatening.

However, all of those things are true the day you sign up to wear the badge and do the job. If police willingly accept the praise that comes when they put their life on the line for events like 9/11 then they need to willingly accept the criticism that comes from mishandling other life threatening events, moreso when it results in the loss of life of the citizens they're supposed to be protecting.

If they're not performing arrests in retaliation to comments from the Mayor, I can't support that. I don't buy the danger argument because the job is no more/less dangerous than it was before the tragic shootings of those 2 officers.

If there is a legitimate drop off because the police are reassessing how they engage the public, I can support that.

But I'm going to wait and see what happens with drop off.

Lol @ armed police officers shaking in their boots after two officers are murdered, yet thousands of innocents have been MURDERED by POLICE since 9/11. Pathetic cowards.

I'm going to try and be respectful about their position. I understand that policing is dangerous work and every interaction can be life threatening.

However, all of those things are true the day you sign up to wear the badge and do the job. If police willingly accept the praise that comes when they put their life on the line for events like 9/11 then they need to willingly accept the criticism that comes from mishandling other life threatening events, moreso when it results in the loss of life of the citizens they're supposed to be protecting.

If they're not performing arrests in retaliation to comments from the Mayor, I can't support that. I don't buy the danger argument because the job is no more/less dangerous than it was before the tragic shootings of those 2 officers.

If there is a legitimate drop off because the police are reassessing how they engage the public, I can support that.

But I'm going to wait and see what happens with drop off.
Statistically I doubt it would be significantly more dangerous if there was any way to know. I am sure it is unlikely you are going to see a bunch of repeats of someone looking to kill police just because they are police. Realistically I am sure they are in much more danger from doing the normal job and having to deal with people that would kill for self-serving reasons like avoiding arrest. But what is the reality and what is perception can be very different. The cops probably are more afraid, even if they might not have reason to be.

But you raised an interesting point. Maybe they have been told to back off over minor things as they try to work on improving how they interact with the public while also letting things cool down. That may very well be the reason. The last thing anybody needs now is some minor situation going horribly wrong.

I have seen similar measures in my own department. Instead of writing city tickets, the officers continue the same amount of work, they just write the tickets for the state-that way the city can see that whatever policy or action is causing them a dollar amount.

I think it is funny that people either expected the city to fall into chaos, or use the fact that the city is not in chaos as justification to disregard the effect of the police. It will take a considerable amount of time more than a week. But there will likely be a noticeable change after a few weeks. The real problem will be when the police attempt to reestablish that same level of control-there will be significant pushback.

Lol @ armed police officers shaking in their boots after two officers are murdered, yet thousands of innocents have been MURDERED by POLICE since 9/11. Pathetic cowards.

I call bullshit

Seems to show that NYC doesnt fall in to chaos when the police force are absent.

There's a big difference in a parking ticket and a forcible felony. They aren't taking as much action against offenses that gain revenue for the city.

Grow the fuck up NYPiggies

If there's a fine line it's damn hard to see, I was in New York City in the early 80's and you couldn't walk to the corner without being robbed. Up until just recently I was able to sent my daughter by herself without incident. Fucking animals need to be treated like animals.

Now the streets will run yellow with piss, cars will be parked in asshole ways, fights will go on unchecked, drugs will be sold with impunity, murder cases will go unsolved, but the cops will still be collecting a check.

You showed em New York.

It is not that I can't follow your reasoning. It is basically saying "oh you guys were a bunch of tough guys when ganging up and killing innocent people but now when the shoe is on the other foot you won't even get out of your car". But the vast, vast majority of officers haven't killed anyone. And even the ones that have, even if they are wrong morally it still doesn't make it sensible to casually put your life in danger. Do you think soldiers are not afraid when going into enemy territory? I am sure people are angry.

But it is ironic you brought up 9-11. Our response to that was invading a country that had nothing to do with it. If someone that lived in Ireland killed my father and to avenge him I just starting walking down the streets in America shooting random people would anyone support me? I would and should be considered a psychopath. Killing innocent cops doesn't make up for the innocent people that dirty cops killed. Even if the numbers of innocents on one side far outweighs the other. You simply can't balance injustice with more injustice. It never works that way. But people want to paint others will a broad brush because it eases their conscience and gives their rage a place to go. But it is morally wrong. Just as wrong as the cops that have murdered people.

You keep thinking that. What an angry little thing you are.

There's a big difference in a parking ticket and a forcible felony. They aren't taking as much action against offenses that gain revenue for the city.

Which is something I don't think is appropriate. It would be an attempt to economically extort the city over something which isn't the city's fault.

Citizens have complained about police brutality for years and the police have, mostly, relied on the strength of the city's legal system to protect them from harsh consequences. But the moment the city says anything in support of the citizens (that the police actually work for), the police respond with something like this.

Back