Citations & arrests plummeting in New York after the murder of Officer Ramos and Liu

I'm going to try and be respectful about their position. I understand that policing is dangerous work and every interaction can be life threatening.

However, all of those things are true the day you sign up to wear the badge and do the job.
True. But there's a difference between being attacked by a criminal that you're trying to arrest, and being executed from behind while eating lunch. It's a completely different kind of danger.

If police willingly accept the praise that comes when they put their life on the line for events like 9/11 then they need to willingly accept the criticism that comes from mishandling other life threatening events, moreso when it results in the loss of life of the citizens they're supposed to be protecting.
If you're a cop and you are not mishandling any life threatening events (which would be the vast majority of cops), I'm not sure why you're supposed to accept criticism for mishandling life threatening events.

If there is a legitimate drop off because the police are reassessing how they engage the public, I can support that.
Cops can either enforce the law, or they can choose not to enforce the law. Cops cannot change the law. I don't think reassessing how they engage the public is going to change the amount of people who are breaking the law. The only question is whether or not a cop is there to enforce that law.

Are you saying that you can support a cop's decision to not do his job if, for example, he doesn't like law X or Y, and therefore will not respond to that call or arrest that person?

Police holding the city hostage in order to strong-arm their absolution. Pathetic.

Is this an attempt to artificially raise crime by the police? Hopefully we see some of them get fired. I know it won't happen but it'd be nice to see them get held to the same standards as private citizens. If I don't work on the job, my employer is going to fire me. This goes for anyone working in the government.

Police holding the city hostage in order to strong-arm their absolution. Pathetic.

Pretty much. I don't know how much of NYC's budget depends on citation fines (probably not very much), but it's still a pathetic attempt at proving a point.

That the Post would actually write that parking citations are down 90 something percent because officers are fearing for their safety just shows how absurd that publication is.

imagine being a dumbass that gets arrested in this time

you must really deserve jail time

True. But there's a difference between being attacked by a criminal that you're trying to arrest, and being executed from behind while eating lunch. It's a completely different kind of danger.

And both dangers existed the day someone joins the force. Psycho cop killers aren't a new phenomenon. Complaints about police brutality aren't new either. Mayors taking their police force to task over errors is also old hat.

If you're a cop and you are not mishandling any life threatening events (which would be the vast majority of cops), I'm not sure why you're supposed to accept criticism for mishandling life threatening events.

And if you're a citizen and not breaking any laws, I'm not sure why you're supposed to get extra attention from the police just because some random person with your complexion or your zip code is a career criminal. That's a 2-way street.

Cops can either enforce the law, or they can choose not to enforce the law. Cops cannot change the law. I don't think reassessing how they engage the public is going to change the amount of people who are breaking the law. The only question is whether or not a cop is there to enforce that law.

Actually, they can't choose to not enforce the law. :eek:

Enforcing the law is their job. If they don't want to do their job, they can retire from the force. But not doing your job while still collecting your pay check is something that none of us should support.

It's like the people who join the military but then complain that they're asked to fight. If they have a legitimate gripe with war or combat then don't take a job that's obviously about those things. People who don't want to enforce the law shouldn't be cops, they should be almost anything else.

Are you saying that you can support a cop's decision to not do his job if, for example, he doesn't like law X or Y, and therefore will not respond to that call or arrest that person?

Nope, I can support a cop taking a few days/weeks/months to look at police methodology and decide that it needs to be tweaked and that officers will need some time to re-train. While that's happening, it's natural that old stats will suffer.

But that's different from cops not doing their jobs. That's cops working on doing their jobs differently and presumably better. That will always have my support.

I think it was his comments that he fears for his son around police that fueled the fire.
A statement many people, even other police officers, consider not unjustified.

I call bullshit
Recently in another thread someone (you?) called bullshit on cops killing about two people everyday. Someone backed that up with numbers that came out to about 1.5ish but were considered horribly underestimated by the FBI and other experts. Regardless of whether those numbers were underestimated or not, it certainly is correct to say police have killed thousands of people since 911.

As I understand it they are doing their jobs they are just working to the book and nothing more.

Isn't that what people bitch about, cops interference in their lives when they haven't really done anything wrong.

So the cops are working to book and this is a good all that preventive stuff is not necessarily they only need to be there if they are called or they actually see a crime.

They can reduce the force through not hiring as people retire.

It's funny the same people that bitch about the cops messing with people want to bitch when they work to the book.

It's funny the same people that bitch about the cops messing with people want to bitch when they work to the book.
I would guess that "work(ing) to the book" doesn't mean ignoring when people are pissing on the sidewalk. I'd also think there's a bit of room between ignoring public urination and stop and frisk.

Recently in another thread someone (you?) called bullshit on cops killing about two people everyday. Someone backed that up with numbers that came out to about 1.5ish but were considered horribly underestimated by the FBI and other experts. Regardless of whether those numbers were underestimated or not, it certainly is correct to say police have killed thousands of people since 911.

he said the police have murdered thousands of innocents since 9-11

in the other thread he said there are a large number of unreported police shooting, again I'm not buying that

Last edited:

About 400 justified a year by cops in the U.S. sounds about right and that's not bad considering.

Almost 300 (278 in 2010) justified by civilians is not bad considering.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...u.s.-2010/tables/10shrtbl15.xls#disablemobile

I would guess that "work(ing) to the book" doesn't mean ignoring when people are pissing on the sidewalk. I'd also think there's a bit of room between ignoring public urination and stop and frisk.

So the cops should jump out and cuff and stuff the guy missing on the sidewalk or maybe they just bump the siren to scare they guy.

You want them writing up everyone you want written up. I thought that was fucking with people.

I have some sympathy for them because they are scared and angry, but not a lot of sympathy. This is pretty childish behavior without much justification, and it sounds like LEO leadership needs a purge. Still an interesting social experiment.

I have some sympathy for them because they are scared and angry, but not a lot of sympathy. This is pretty childish behavior without much justification, and it sounds like LEO leadership needs a purge. Still an interesting social experiment.

I think it's more anger then scared (but fear plays better to the press and people), as long as they are working to the book they are doing their job.

If they wanted they could have gone the other way with with malicious compliance, which would have really started a shit storm, so all in all they are not looking to take it out on the people but only the city.

I think it's more anger then scared (but fear plays better to the press and people), as long as they are working to the book they are doing their job.

What does working to the book mean?

Remember that saying about "the terrorists have won"? Seems the NYPD have given that psycho who shot 2 of them a lot of power.

Back