• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ciryl Gane vs. Francis Ngannou - Is this one of the biggest HW fights ever?

Is this one of the biggest HW fights ever?

• Total voters
UFC really trying to hype it but I’m not too crazy excited.

Both can be boring AF at times.

This is nowhere near Cro Cop vs Fedor, Cain vs JDS, Mir vs Lesnar etc. etc.

NGannou boring WTF lollllllllllllll gane can be sometime I agree on gane but no Francis that dumb talk he last 5 wins row KO

Not even close man. Yes it's exciting and has a lot of potential. But this fight has nowhere near some of the hype of the old fights. I'm not even gonna bring up Pride b/c that's another level too.

But UFC alone you had Cain/JDS - Randy/Nog - Lesnar/Mir - Timmy/AA was huge back in the day (boring as shit though) - Randy/Lesnar - DC/Stipe

This one has potential to look back at and say it was huge but honestly Gane is relatively "new" to most people and casuals.

Cain almost losing to Kongo 3 time in 1 fight WTF u talking about Francis never been finish EVER or even look 2 close be rock EVER n junior lose by arm bar early b4 ufc

Cain got KO by junior in 1 min first fight this fight WAY way way way biggest
There’s a clear way to beat Francis. Stick and move.

This fight reminds me of the hype level of Stipe vs Francis 2 both guys have clear ways to win.

Cain vs JDS was like 2 unbeatable titans back in the day.

Not saying this fight isn’t insane and awesome I just don’t think it’s one of the greatest of all time

1. Fedor vs Crocop

No particular order: Cain vs Brock, Cain vs JDS 1-3, Brock vs Couture, Brock vs Mir 2, Brock vs Carwin, Couture vs Sylvia, Fedor vs Sylvia, Stipe vs Cormier 1-3.

So no. Not really.

Not even close man. Yes it's exciting and has a lot of potential. But this fight has nowhere near some of the hype of the old fights. I'm not even gonna bring up Pride b/c that's another level too.

But UFC alone you had Cain/JDS - Randy/Nog - Lesnar/Mir - Timmy/AA was huge back in the day (boring as shit though) - Randy/Lesnar - DC/Stipe

This one has potential to look back at and say it was huge but honestly Gane is relatively "new" to most people and casuals.
Not many of those examples were 2 guys as big and skilled and at the top of their game coming into a fight as these guys.

And again, any lesnar everyone knows is an outlier and not really a fair comparison because he brought a lot more than just an mma fanbase.

The biggest hw fight will be Gane V Jon Jones, right after this one

Unlike Francis gane never face a wrestler ONCE all striker I think Jone would take gane down easy against Francis Jone is fuckkkedddddd

Somewhere between the second and third options. It's one of the bigger fights in recent years but overall there have plenty HW fights that are bigger.

Not many of those examples were 2 guys as big and skilled and at the top of their game coming into a fight as these guys.

And again, any lesnar everyone knows is an outlier and not really a fair comparison because he brought a lot more than just an mma fanbase.

I actually agree this is one of the top 10 fights as far as size, skill, peak of their careers.
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of public interest or even along the lines of legacy fights that we between legends.

We have remember to Brock carwin roided out his minda these men both natural big men monsters no juiced up like b4 usada

1. Fedor vs Crocop

No particular order: Cain vs Brock, Cain vs JDS 1-3, Brock vs Couture, Brock vs Mir 2, Brock vs Carwin, Couture vs Sylvia, Fedor vs Sylvia, Stipe vs Cormier 1-3.

So no. Not really.
Cain jds 2 sold 590k. Cain jds 3 sold under 350k. Fedor Sylvia sold shit in the US. Stipe DC 1 did 380k and stipe dc 3 did 500k. Acting as if all those fights were huge compared to this fight just isn’t accurate. Again, brock is the outlier.

I actually agree this is one of the top 10 fights as far as size, skill, peak of their careers.
I guess I was thinking more along the lines of public interest or even along the lines of legacy fights that we between legends.
I do think the size, skill and peak part will lead to a good ppv showing. And will go a long way toward their legacies which could end up being pretty high.

I think it's in Top 5.

1. Fedor vs Crocop
2. Cain vs JDS
3. Stipe vs Cormier
4. Fedor vs Nog 1
5. Couture vs Randleman

I completed 4 and 5 for the fun of it. Your list was too good to leave incomplete. :>

I think it's in Top 5.

1. Fedor vs Crocop
2. Cain vs JDS
3. Stipe vs Cormier

I can see it being top 5.

Recency bias.. This is just another fight

Like is it in the all-time top 5 biggest HW fights in MMA history? Probably even in the top 5 most anticipated HW fights as well.

I think it would be in the top 5 at least.

Probably the biggest fight since Dos Santos and Velasquez fought.

https://www.tapology.com/rankings/all-time-top-ten-best-heavyweight-mma-fights-265-pounds

Francis-Ngannou-vs.-Ciryl-Gane.jpg
Child, please!
I don't dislike either fighter, but let us be real here!!!
One just got the belt.
The other is just an up and comer who was pushed hard to the top because the top is stale and mediocre at best.

this has NOTHING to do with the biggest ever no way you look at it.

I think it's in Top 5.

1. Fedor vs Crocop
2. Cain vs JDS
3. Stipe vs Cormier

I can see it being top 5.
Yep.

Fedor vs. Nog would be another in this Top 5.

It is an important fight for right now.

If Francis comes out & steamrolls Gane it won’t be remembered.

If Gane is outpounting Francis the entire fight and coasts to a one sided decision it won’t be remembered.

If they fight and it is a good back & forth battle that is entertaining - that will help both fighters and the legacy of this fight.

Any extra hype from press conference drama (which seems unlikely) will unfortunately make this fight an easier sell to casual fans.

Time will tell…

Hope it is a good fight, because we will more than likely see it again, considering the lack of elite heavies.

Back