• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ciryl Gane accepts 'dangerous' Derrick Lewis' callout, targets summer return

I'm down with this. My only problem though, is this.

Who does the winner fight?

Miocic/Ngannou II - March.
Winner vs. Jones - summer at the earliest, probably autumn.
Winner of that vs. Gane/Lewis - 2022.

It seems like Gane would have to take another fight after this, if he wins, to stay active and whoever he fights will be a step down from Lewis. I know it doesn't make much sense but I'd have had Gane fight someone like Tybura, just to keep improving and active, then fight Lewis.
Tybura (or equivalent like Ivanov, Sakai) is a significant step down after beating JDS and Rozenstruik. So the point of having a big step down now rather than later is unclear for me.

My view is: He should fight the highest ranked opponent he can as soon as he can, win, and see where he goes from here. Anything can happen, there could be a cancellation in the next title fight and he would be the rightful backup. If not, he can have a fill up fight later. There is still Volkov, Blaydes, and the loser of this week.

Literally this. Dont think ive seen many guys counted out more by fans than Lewis does when he fights.
Its between him and Glover.

BTW.. Lewis is outskilled by a mile here but he has a punchers chance on this one... problem for his opponents is that chance is damn high.

Back