• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ciryl Gane accepts 'dangerous' Derrick Lewis' callout, targets summer return

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

Ciryl Gane is happy to oblige Derrick Lewis’ callout.

Gane (8-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) is known for not calling out his rivals, but after Lewis mentioned his name as a possibility, the French contender thinks the matchup makes sense as a No. 1 contender fight.

Lewis (25-7 MMA, 16-5 UFC) is coming off a second-round knockout of Curtis Blaydes in the main event of UFC Fight Night 185 headliner, while Gane successfully went the full five rounds for the first time in his career to earn a unanimous decision over Jairzinho Rozenstruik the following week at UFC Fight Night 186

Despite earning a one-sided decision over Rozenstruik, Gane received some criticism for not finishing the fight. But if the Lewis matchup comes to fruition, he aims to leave matters out of the judges’ hands.

“If the fight (Lewis) is going to be OK for the contract, I think I’d like to finish the fight before the end,” Gane told MMA Junkie. “Of course, because I know it’s good to finish the fight, but it’s better to finish the fight before the end. So if I can, I’m gonna do it.”

Gane is wary of the dangers Lewis brings, however, with “The Black Beast” coming from behind on numerous occasions to starch his opponents.

“You see the fight between Curtis and Derrick one week before? Blaydes, if he didn’t (shoot) too much with the wrestling, probably he would win the fight,” Gane said. “But he did just one mistake to go in front of Derrick Lewis and he did just one uppercut and he finished the fight. For me, the people say, ‘Let’s go, let’s go, let’s go!’ but I don’t want to do the same game like Curtis Blaydes. It’s a little bit of a shame

He continued, “He doesn’t have a lot of skills, but this guy is f*cking dangerous. With one punch, just one punch, he can finish the game and he’s No. 2 in the rankings just with one punch. So yes, this guy is really dangerous.”

Gane came out of the Rozenstruik fight relatively unscathed, but is looking to take a couple of months off. “Bon Gamin” wants to focus on a strength and conditioning regimen, something he says he’s never had the opportunity to do.

“Maybe not now because I never did a good workout for the strength,” Gane said. “And when you want to work on your strength, you need maybe two months. So not now, maybe in three months, so maybe in June or July.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...s-summer-return/amp?__twitter_impression=true

Down for this, winner of this surely gets the next title shot.

Its not as easy to call as I thought it'd be, Ill go Gane by decision but its close for me, can never rule out Black Beast.

Great fight and big test and step up for Gane whose more technical approach will test Lewis’ power.

i think Lewis catches him via TKO.

that's what people have said for black beasts last like 10 fights lmao

Literally this. Dont think ive seen many guys counted out more by fans than Lewis does when he fights.

Definitely a #1 contender fight but I think if Jon wants the next TS he'll get it. There's also a small chance Stipe vs Ngannou could go to a trilogy. I can see why these guys want to fight. If Gane wins he's the #1 contender (behind Jones) and Lewis probably just wants to stay active and get paid.

Derrick is going to get wrecked unfortunately. Gane is the future and Lewis is a plodding gatekeeper

those damn plodding gatekeepers

iu

Gane is good, he'll get that belt sooner rather than later.

Definitely a #1 contender fight but I think if Jon wants the next TS he'll get it. There's also a small chance Stipe vs Ngannou could go to a trilogy. I can see why these guys want to fight. If Gane wins he's the #1 contender (behind Jones) and Lewis probably just wants to stay active and get paid.
If Ngannou wins I can see Ngannou/Jones happening in July/August, maybe Gane/Lewis on the same card.

Leaves Volkov on the outs, maybe him vs Rozenstruik since Roz didn't get KO'd.

If Stipe wins, I can't see him turning around to fight Jones until maybe October/November. Then Lewis/Gane winner may be on stand-by in case of emergency.

Derrick is going to get wrecked unfortunately. Gane is the future and Lewis is a plodding gatekeeper
He's for sure not a gatekeeper, he's a top HW. Bisping was more of a gate keeper for a while. If you fought Bisping and beat him you usually showed in your next fight you were legit. Lewis has beaten plenty of guys that have since proved to still be top HW's. I don't think you know what a gatekeeper is. Tibau was a gatekeeper for a while. Brad Tavarez was that for a while. Cerrone towards the end, Wineland, Brunson has been but he seems to making a move to break that although he's done this sorta streak before then gets finished in the fight that would put him over that.

If he fights like he did against Jairzinho, he will win easily but probably wont gain new fans
He was very calculated in that fight reminded me of jon Jones in his 30s(in a good way)

This would be a very intriguing fight. I'd love to see it.

Back