Chris Weidman: "My goal is to win the title in 2013."

Munoz is not that great of a fighter but he was easily top10 at the time, why? Because its Middleweight.

Hence why Georges is the GOAT, no shit storm, please lol

If Bisping doesn't get that strap, I hope Weidman does.

Im really not sold on him yet. I do like watching him fight but the hype he has is ridiculous. Yes he destroyed munoz who was ranked highly at the time but everyone has said munoz was way overrated simce those rankings came out. In my opinion he's still unproven to be a top 5 right now and he kinda started sounding like a cry baby and making it seem like he's cleared out the middleweight division

With the state of the division at the time, he was top5 easily.

And you also say he was never top10 yet he was able to beat Maia who is a solid top10, or is Maia not any good either?

Maia clearly won that fight and did a lot better against Weidman as well.

Munoz number 3? lolololololololol:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Weidmans best win was a decision over Maia, who now fights at 170. Weidman hasn't done shit, yet he somehow deserves a title shot? Jesus.

With the state of the division at the time, he was top5 easily.

And you also say he was never top10 yet he was able to beat Maia who is a solid top10, or is Maia not any good either?

I said he was never one of the top 10 best fighters I am not talking about rankings based on loose criteria. You could very easily argue dan hardy was the number 1 contender to the ww belt but he was never the second best guy in the division.

A win over okami, shields or franklin would all have been far more impressive than a win over munoz, the rank given by a website is less important to me than a fighters actual ability. If you dont actually think munoz is the third best fighter in the division then surely you cant follow the rankings blindly? You must see the flaw in them?

Maia can be a good fighter I would still say he is better than munoz in fact.

Maia clearly won that fight and did a lot better against Weidman as well.

Munoz number 3? lolololololololol:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Maia-Munoz was very close.

But yeah, you're right, Maia did better against a super drained and unprepared Weidman than Munoz did against a ready Weidman.

Munoz is very over-rated imo.

But Weidman is for real and certainly worthy of a title shot if he comes back and beats a solid top 5 MW.

But yeah, you're right, Maia did better against a super drained and unprepared Weidman than Munoz did against a ready Weidman.

It wasn't close at all, Maia nearly knocked his ass out.

And Maia was sick that night. Either that or he ws simply in the worst shape of his career.

And Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot. He was also out of shape.

Fighters are never 100%.

I said he was never one of the top 10 best fighters I am not talking about rankings based on loose criteria. You could very easily argue dan hardy was the number 1 contender to the ww belt but he was never the second best guy in the division.

A win over okami, shields or franklin would all have been far more impressive than a win over munoz, the rank given by a website is less important to me than a fighters actual ability. If you dont actually think munoz is the third best fighter in the division then surely you cant follow the rankings blindly? You must see the flaw in them?

Maia can be a good fighter I would still say he is better than munoz in fact.

I bet your criteria for how to judge who the "top 10 best fighters" are is a whole lot looser and more subjective than how most websites do their rankings, no offense. Munoz was on a good roll, good enough roll to easily be top10 and arguably top5, at the time Weidman beat him.

And yes, a win over Okami would have been more impressive but it doesnt mean that Weidman rolling Munoz up like a pretzel for a whole round before knocking Munoz out in the 2nd was not hella impressive. You judge fighters an "actual ability" and Id say Weidman showed great fighting ability by toying and knocking out Munoz.

It wasn't close at all, Maia nearly knocked his ass out.

Yeah, but he didnt. The same way he nearly won the fight, but he didnt.

Nearly aint never accomplished shit.

And Maia was sick that night. Either that or he ws simply in the worst shape of his career.

And Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot. He was also out of shape.

Fighters are never 100%.

Theres a difference between not being a 100% and being extremely below your potential. Weidman had to go through a terrible cut and it showed in the fight when he gassed very early over basically doing nothing.
And still won.

Weidman is a top 5 fighter and has the potential to be champ. He is stylistically a bad matchup for Silva.

Yeah, but he didnt. The same way he nearly won the fight, but he didnt.

Nearly aint never accomplished shit.

Theres a difference between not being a 100% and being extremely below your potential. Weidman had to go through a terrible cut and it showed in the fight when he gassed very early over basically doing nothing.
And still won.

And Maia gassed just as bad just as quick. Does he get a pass too?

And again Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot and was also out of shape. That's not far below 100%?

A little consistency please.

I bet your criteria for how to judge who the "top 10 best fighters" are is a whole lot looser and more subjective than how most websites do their rankings, no offense. Munoz was on a good roll, good enough roll to easily be top10 and arguably top5, at the time Weidman beat him.

And yes, a win over Okami would have been more impressive but it doesnt mean that Weidman rolling Munoz up like a pretzel for a whole round before knocking Munoz out in the 2nd was not hella impressive. You judge fighters an "actual ability" and Id say Weidman showed great fighting ability by toying and knocking out Munoz.

That is the thing how he has won some of his fights is what is impressive certainly not the names on his record, I would have him up there in the mix for a title shot but he is not the undisputed main challenger that he seems to think he is.

Weidman is a top 5 fighter and has the potential to be champ. He is stylistically a bad matchup for Silva.

Go watch the Sakara and Maia fights. Theres no reason to think Weidman would do any better than Okami or Bonnar.

And Maia gassed just as bad just as quick. Does he get a pass too?

And again Munoz had a stress fracture in his foot and was also out of shape. That's not far below 100%?

A little consistency please.

There would be consistency if all 3 situations were the same, which they're not.

Regarding Maia, I wasnt aware he was injured at all. Source? Even then, its not hard at all to think that Maia would easily get tossed to the ground everytime he became the aggressor against Weidman, like he was in their fight, and that would cause him to be hesitant with his already below average stand-up skills giving Weidman a clear cut decision win, like it happened in their fight.

And Munoz's fractured toe didnt seem to effect him in a way that he didnt look himself that night. Munoz always had average TDD and TDs and his striking is basically brawling which ended up costing him the fight.

Thats my take on why I dont think Munoz and Maia's injuries had as much of an effect on their performance as Weidman's weight cut had on his. If you think otherwise then good for you.

Go watch the Sakara and Maia fights. Theres no reason to think Weidman would do any better than Okami or Bonnar.

That fight was in 2011.. You do understand he is a working progress and continues to show improvement?

That is the thing how he has won some of his fights is what is impressive certainly not the names on his record, I would have him up there in the mix for a title shot but he is not the undisputed main challenger that he seems to think he is.

Fair enough.

He clearly beat Munoz in the opinion of anyone who wasnt oxygen deprived at birth.

Sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back