Chinese Navy seizes US Navy drone in South China Sea

This should be considered an act of piracy, something China has been doing to fishermen from their neighbors for years now.

This can be an act of war... I am sure our President is so happy that his Commie buddies have pissed of uncle sam once again...

..I have a bad feeling about this...

fair play

wasnt the drone there researching chinese subs?

i dont blame them. we just lost this little mini battle.

So it wasn't in international waters?

i honestly dont know.

i heard that it was there investigating chinese subs. if thats the case, i totally support us doing it. but i also understand the chinese stepping up for themselves. understand...not support.

if the uav was there studying sea floor urchins or some shit, that would be different, and theyd be out of line.

The biggest military powers in the world see weakness with trump winning.

It's not that they see weakness, it's that they are probing for it. This kind of thing is very standard every time we have a major change in leadership. Remember how China was buzzing our recon aricraft and lost one of their pilots early in George Bush's presidency? Same thing.

Trump rattled their cage a bit and now they want to see if he's a pushover or not.

That's kinda the crux of it. Because if so then we can study whatever the fuck we want. If someone is looking at you in public do you get to swipe their glasses?

id say this is more like someone looking over your shoulder at the ATM.

if thats why the UAV was in the water, then i dont blame the chinese. i hope we get the better of them next time.

id say this is more like someone looking over your shoulder at the ATM.

if thats why the UAV was in the water, then i dont blame the chinese. i hope we get the better of them next time.

Where's the scenario where you can take someone's property for looking at you in a public space? Otherwise you're just making excuses for getting punked.

Where's the scenario where you can take someone's property for looking at you in a public space? Otherwise you're just making excuses for getting punked.

who is getting punked? me or the people who got the uav jacked?

shit like this inevitably happens in geopolitical pissing contests. public space someone looks over your shoulder at the atm, i wouldnt fault them for slapping your glasses off.

who is getting punked? me or the people who got the uav jacked?

shit like this inevitably happens in geopolitical pissing contests. public space someone looks over your shoulder at the atm, i wouldnt fault them for slapping your glasses off.

So you don't have an analogy for getting looked at in public spaces where it's legal to take someone's shit? But it's ok if one country does it to another for some reason.

If you're an American your government is getting punked, if the facts are as we've discussed. If not then your grin and bear it attitude makes more sense.

So you don't have an analogy for getting looked at in public spaces where it's legal to take someone's shit? But it's ok if one country does it to another for some reason.

If you're an American your government is getting punked, if the facts are as we've discussed. If not then your grin and bear it attitude makes more sense.

i guess i just have a more realistic view of whats going to go down between two competitive world powers. they never have and never will behave like two individuals in a western public space lol.

They should make a drone with fake info next time, just to troll the chinese.

i guess i just have a more realistic view of whats going to go down between two competitive world powers. they never have and never will behave like two individuals in a western public space lol.

Not sure why you think your view is more realistic when you fail to recognize being tested. The article says my government wants it back. No international law allows them to take it. Realistically, how does being told "no" look? Realistically, why do you think China wants to escalate things such that they'd refuse to give it back once the pressure started getting applied?

Are you an American?

• Trade war
  • Cold war
  • War of attrition
  • Cyber war
  • Bloodless war
Now please answer my questions about why the drone's monetary value matters and what wars you've personally supported and why.
When you say go to war, it generally means armed conflict unless you specify what type of alternative meaning you have. This is business as usual with China, and everybody got on fine without coming to blows or trade sanctions. This isn't the first incident of its kind, and certainly not the most severe. I find your probing questions about the wars I supported as irrelevant to the debate as your knee jerk reaction about calling for war.

It's not the drone that is important; it's the precedent that is set for the area. China will claim the drone was in Chinese sovereign territory (which is ridiculous), but the more we let these little actions go unchecked, the more weight their claim has.

If we didn't go to war with them over the Hainan incident back in 2001, then this one is just storm in a tea cup. The US has already increase its military flights and naval patrols in the region. The drone was launched from a USN survey ship, no doubt part of the American response to a more assertive China. I think this is China's way of saying "we'll do what we want".

When you say go to war, it generally means armed conflict unless you specify what type of alternative meaning you have. This is business as usual with China, and everybody got on fine without coming to blows or trade sanctions. This isn't the first incident of its kind, and certainly not the most severe. I find your probing questions about the wars I supported as irrelevant to the debate as your knee jerk reaction about calling for war.

Still not sure why the hostility. I apologize if I hurt your feelings. I don't really recall ever interacting with you.

You sound like Panamaican when he refuses to answer simple questions. He claims it's irrelevant to his point. It's on obvious ploy to disallow others from making theirs. Your characterization of "knee-jerk" is more telling of your assumptions than my posts. You never bothered to ask me about my thoughts on progression of escalation so you talking about what stuff "generally means" is hardly incisive commentary or an honest attempt at communication. But carry on parading around your conclusion while refusing to engage on the nuance.

Have a wonderful weekend.

I tried to make a joke involving China and dealing with them like shoplifters, but i guess it wasnt very good.

Well, i tried.

Corey-Brewer-Dunk-Fail.gif
Some of us got the joke mate all good.

This can be an act of war... I am sure our President is so happy that his Commie buddies have pissed of uncle sam once again...

..I have a bad feeling about this...
Got a spare bed in Darwin mate if thing really start to kick off only a short flight.

Not sure why you think your view is more realistic when you fail to recognize being tested. The article says my government wants it back. No international law allows them to take it.

when a country tests another country, how often does that involve bending international laws? every time, or almost every time?

Realistically, how does being told "no" look? Realistically, why do you think China wants to escalate things such that they'd refuse to give it back once the pressure started getting applied?

we're both posturing for control of areas in and around those international waters id imagine. china has been trying to claim them. we've moving in and flexing, and theyve been flexing in response.

Are you an American?

yea. is this the part where you imply that i like china more than america?

when a country tests another country, how often does that involve bending international laws? every time, or almost every time?

we're both posturing for control of areas in and around those international waters id imagine. china has been trying to claim them. we've moving in and flexing, and theyve been flexing in response.

yea. is this the part where you imply that i like china more than america?

So as an American why would you advocate backing down from China at this point? And by "this point" I mean them having taken government property that was not in violation of any international law and our government having demanded it back? If they refuse and we back down then we're setting the tone of a loser while China enjoys their success. I would escalate. If people disagree that's their choice. Tired of the tone here so this is my last post in the thread. For the record, I don't want conflict and would expect China to back down quickly. But if they didn't then game on, because clearly shit has come to a head and I have faith in America answering the call. Fuck China and fuck them getting the better of the USA.

Back