Chinese Navy seizes US Navy drone in South China Sea

The US was about to go apeshit until the Soviets backed down. Those airmen landed on Chinese territory. This is theft of US property in international waters. Obviously a war is not the desired outcome, but China needs to learn that it can't simply do things like this.
You know this isn't the first time China took American underwater drones right? The only exception this time is their navy did the grab and run instead of their fishermen. These drones are designed to measure oceanic conditions, which is necessary to assist in submarine and anti-submarine warfare. China is throwing their usual tantrum on what they perceived as provocative spying from US, so this is their response.

Iran stole a much more valuable stealth recon drone, and they never gave it back. If Iran didn't give it back, China certainly isn't going to. They'll exchange a few words and everybody goes back to what they were doing in a few days. No one is going to flip the table over it.

Didn't say anyone would. I was sharing my view which carries no weight when it comes to deploying the armed forces.

Why the snide comment?
You were calling for war over a disposable drone. War is sweet to those that never experienced it I guess.

It's an awkward situation.

The Chinese found a US oceanic drone in their neck of the woods, in what is technically international waters. They lay claim to most of the South China Sea (I mean...it's kind of in the name), while others have their own areas. We (US, civilians and govt) don't seem to make that dictation of geography much of an issue. In this particular issue, the drone was captured and seized, I'm assuming for strategic purposes. Obviously the question of spying comes up, but "the official said that it was only measuring ocean conditions."

Imagine the US finding and capturing an underwater drone from China off the coast of California. Or Florida. If they officially said that it was only for measuring the ocean's conditions, we wouldn't believe that for a second.

This is geopolitical muscling and posturing. They are flexing, trying to see what our response will be.

Another issue...our drones actually being caught by other governments. The flexing we do can only go so far, while China pretty much own us economically. The irony of a communist nation beating us through capitalism.....man.

Type subic bay into google.

It wasn't anywhere near China, Neither is 99% of the South China Sea which is why everyone realizes their claim is fucking retarded.

If it was actually anywhere near China your analogy might be apt but it wasn't.

The Iranians steal a drone, now China. Both times nothing done about it during Obama's Presidency. This asshole is plane out giving our shit away.
Tbf Iran disabled a CIA surveillance drone within their border

Whereas China is alleged to have literally stolen our property if this indeed happened in international waters

yep lets go to war over a 5$ drone.

You were calling for war over a disposable drone. War is sweet to those that never experienced it I guess.

Funny how you guys boil it down to this. Whether it's $5 or $150k (as per the article), so? If you don't agree to the principle of standing up for yourself when someone jacks your shit that's fine, but at least be honest enough to acknowledge it isn't about whatever particular piece of property was taken. I'd much rather go to war over letting people know to give our property back if they've acquired it by mistake than what I've witnessed so far in my life.

What wars, if any, have you supported? Don't look now but our military is meddling all over the place. As for me, I supported bombing based in Afghanistan and that's about all I recall.

was the operation conducted with the precision of a fire drill by chance?

Sounds like drones need to be armed with anti tampering devices like @Rod1 said. In case of immobilization, or an unscheduled change of elevation a 1 hour timer starts, and if an an access code isn't punched in they should blow the eff up. Or something along those lines.

You know this isn't the first time China took American underwater drones right? The only exception this time is their navy did the grab and run instead of their fishermen. These drones are designed to measure oceanic conditions, which is necessary to assist in submarine and anti-submarine warfare. China is throwing their usual tantrum on what they perceived as provocative spying from US, so this is their response.

Iran stole a much more valuable stealth recon drone, and they never gave it back. If Iran didn't give it back, China certainly isn't going to. They'll exchange a few words and everybody goes back to what they were doing in a few days. No one is going to flip the table over it.
So you are saying what exactly, that nothing should be done? It's more difficult to deal with rogue states like Iran where you don't have as much leverage. With China we have a wider array of options to express that we will not tolerate this kind of brazen theft in international waters.

So you are saying what exactly, that nothing should be done? It's more difficult to deal with rogue states like Iran where you don't have as much leverage. With China we have a wider array of options to express that we will not tolerate this kind of brazen theft in international waters.

That dude seems to fancy himself a real thinker so surely he's cogitated on the fact that war could involve things other than shooting people and blowing shit up. :D

So that's acceptable to you?

if this was on the same level as iran taking a drone that wasnt publicly known of an was a top secrect. i might be willing to take your side, but in this case no.

i think its already dumb that you guys even remotely think we are weaker then the fucking shitty chinese military. They cant even build a jet engine properly with out fucking that up.

We are talking about a drone thats made for weather data, not exactly skunk works level tech. oh no the horror....lets mobilize.

if this was on the same level as iran taking a drone that wasnt publicly known of an was a top secrect. i might be willing to take your side, but in this case no.

i think its already dumb that you guys even remotely think we are weaker then the fucking shitty chinese military. They cant even build a jet engine properly with out fucking that up.

We are talking about a drone thats made for weather data, not exactly skunk works level tech. oh no the horror....lets mobilize.

Who is "you guys" and when did I ever say I thought we were weaker? I do think our current President is a pussy, but our country and military as a whole is not weaker.

psychology matters. doesnt matter the technical aspects. China keeps on pushing. I was just reading an opinion piece on CNN about how this needs to be nipped in the bud.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/opini...gauntlet-to-obama-and-trump-auslin/index.html

The goal is not to back the Chinese into a corner or goad them into further aggression, but rather just the opposite. Beijing must understand that such unprovoked and belligerent acts will merit a rejoinder. Otherwise, China will get the wrong message and will continue testing the US government. At some point, it will miscalculate or its actions will become intolerable, resulting in a more forceful US reaction. A firm US response now is the best option for preventing a worsening cycle of tit-for-tat challenges.

Type subic bay into google.

It wasn't anywhere near China, Neither is 99% of the South China Sea which is why everyone realizes their claim is fucking retarded.

If it was actually anywhere near China your analogy might be apt but it wasn't.

I agree, but this is assuming it was actually 50 nautical miles away from the Subic Bay.

they have to turn it over immediately or we will bring hell upon them

is the only acceptable action

appeasement doesnt work

Define bringing hell upon them. What's an appropriate response here? Let's have some details.

LMAO US Pentagon literally said "this is ours, please give it back and never do it again" HAHAHAHAHAAAA reminds me of a little kid.

Can't wait til Daddy Trump to take office and show the world who is boss.
i think what China did was a message to Daddy Trump but we shall see if Daddy Trumps strategy of yelling "Your fired" to China will work...it always works on TV for him

>China steals our drone

>Hey China give our drone back

>Ok sorry...

>The End.

If this happen again, would any of you be against the U.S Navy forcefully boarding the Chinese boat to get their stolen properties back?

I just told you this kind of incident has happened before multiple times, spanning over two decades. China is not going to stop at some minor payback. The power struggle is going to be back and forth for the next decade. It has already took Philippines and Malaysia away from US alliance in the region. Realistically speaking, China's influence in South China Sea will only grow while American ability to provide security for its allies will recede. So short of a major conflict, options are limited to halt this trend.

That dude seems to fancy himself a real thinker so surely he's cogitated on the fact that war could involve things other than shooting people and blowing shit up. :D
Oh? War between countries involves something else than shooting and blowing shit up? Tell me more about this bizzaro world of yours.

IOh? War between countries involves something else than shooting and blowing shit up? Tell me more about this bizzaro world of yours.

• Trade war
  • Cold war
  • War of attrition
  • Cyber war
  • Bloodless war

Now please answer my questions about why the drone's monetary value matters and what wars you've personally supported and why.

It's not the drone that is important; it's the precedent that is set for the area. China will claim the drone was in Chinese sovereign territory (which is ridiculous), but the more we let these little actions go unchecked, the more weight their claim has.

Back