• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Chinese Nationalists attack Chinese adverts featuring women with narrow eyes.

Chinese Nationalists as in pro CCP mainland Nationalists.
So are we talking about the pro CCP mainland Nationalists in the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang or pro CCP mainland Nationalist as an unorganized entity?

So are we talking about the pro CCP mainland Nationalists in the Revolutionary Committee of the Chinese Kuomintang or pro CCP mainland Nationalist as an unorganized entity?
You are just being deliberately obtuse now, because everyone understands who the Chinese nationalists are, in this context.

You are just being deliberately obtuse now, because everyone understands who the Chinese nationalists are, in this context.
I disagree because there are plenty of different groups and organizations even with pro-CCP attitudes which consider themselves chinese nationalists. So it is fairly significant for sake of precision to clarify whether the adverts were targeted by some random people with nationalistic attitudes or by a specific organized collective of people.

I disagree because there are plenty of different groups and organizations even with pro-CCP attitudes which consider themselves chinese nationalists. So it is fairly significant for sake of precision to clarify whether the adverts were targeted by some random people with nationalistic attitudes or by a specific organized collective of people.

The Nationalists attacking the adverts are mainland Chinese netziens. In contemporary context, the mainland Nationalists are assumed to be pro CCP / Han Nationalists. The CCP has been nurturing and promoting Han Nationalism.

The Nationalists attacking the adverts are mainland Chinese netziens. In contemporary context, the mainland Nationalists are assumed to be pro CCP / Han Nationalists. The CCP has been nurturing and promoting Han Nationalism.
Thanks! That's the information i was looking for. So they're just a bunch of ideologically driven PRC netizens and no autonomous organization.

Thanks! That's the information i was looking for. So they're just a bunch of ideologically driven PRC netizens and no autonomous organization.

The State run paper China Daily also parroted what Nationalist Netziens are saying.

A recent editorial by state news outlet China Daily highlighted how "for too long, Western criteria of beauty, and Western tastes and likes and dislikes dominated aesthetics". That included depicting Asian women in adverts as having narrow eyes, it said.

"The West no longer has an absolute say over everything," the opinion piece read.

"The Chinese people do not need to follow their standards on what constitutes beauty and what kinds of women are considered beautiful."

As a Chinese brand, Three Squirrels "should have known about the sensitivity of Chinese consumers to how they are portrayed in advertisements,", it added.

The State run paper China Daily also parroted what Nationalist Netziens are saying.

A recent editorial by state news outlet China Daily highlighted how "for too long, Western criteria of beauty, and Western tastes and likes and dislikes dominated aesthetics". That included depicting Asian women in adverts as having narrow eyes, it said.

"The West no longer has an absolute say over everything," the opinion piece read.

"The Chinese people do not need to follow their standards on what constitutes beauty and what kinds of women are considered beautiful."

As a Chinese brand, Three Squirrels "should have known about the sensitivity of Chinese consumers to how they are portrayed in advertisements,", it added.
Yeah, this is just typical China Daily political babbling without actual substance. It's an ad for a online snacks retailer, not a beauty statement.

Yeah, this is just typical China Daily political babbling without actual substance. It's an ad for a online snacks retailer, not a beauty statement.
This advert is from 2019 but it is an issue now because Chinese Nationalist netziens unearthed the advertising poster and started attacking the Chinese model for her "slanted eyes". Then other advertisements for other companies started getting attacked for featuring Chinese models with "narrow" or "slanted" eyes.

have any of you been to china? advertising is pretty absurd. you see these incredibly gorgeous people with almost western faces that you NEVER see in real life. the chinese probably have dysphoria when looking at a real chinese face, from the comments looks like at least. biggest isle in any cosmetics shop is the skin whitening one.
it's pretty silly how insecure they are.

I have a vague memory of an article years ago about how the number 1 birthday present teenage girls ( somewhere in Asia) were asking for was plastic surgery on their eyes, making them rounder.
It seems having round eyes has been a beauty ideal for many asians and has been for many years.
I kinda like the fact people look different all over the world.

I don't see how featuring women with East Asian phenotype is a bad thing. These nationalists are invariably saying that this Asian phenotype is ugly , which makes them the racists or self haters.
is it really all that different than fat promotion in america?

if people think it's ugly and a misrepresentation then...... they complain

is it really all that different than fat promotion in america?

if people think it's ugly and a misrepresentation then...... they complain
Yes it is very different because you can have East Asians with 'narrow' eyes who happen to be fat. The criticism of these models is not because they are fat. The epicanthic eyes in East Asians, Amerindians, Inuit and Eskimos is not a lifestyle choice and is not considered a negative trait.

have any of you been to china? advertising is pretty absurd. you see these incredibly gorgeous people with almost western faces that you NEVER see in real life. the chinese probably have dysphoria when looking at a real chinese face, from the comments looks like at least. biggest isle in any cosmetics shop is the skin whitening one.
it's pretty silly how insecure they are.

China also has 'White Monkeys' advertise products. 'White monkey jobs' is a term used to describe White people in China who are hired to be the public face of products, because the Chinese feel having a White person promote something confers prestige, legitimacy and status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_monkey

This isn't really a China specific phenomena. When I lived in the MiddleEast, it was common for advertisers and employers to prefer White people over non Whites, treat Whites as superior and give them respect and deference. The Arabs tended to view any phenotype that was not Caucasoid as inferior.

Yes it is very different because you can have East Asians with 'narrow' eyes who happen to be fat. The criticism of these models is not because they are fat. The epicanthic eyes in East Asians, Amerindians, Inuit and Eskimos is not a lifestyle choice and is not considered a negative trait.
<{titihmm}>
I would still disagree about the negative trait issue

all asians want big eyes, and that's why eyelid surgery is so prevalent.

A lot of those Chinese girls with 'big round eyes' are wearing giant contacts, makeup, and other assortment of things to get that so-called "Chinese standard" of beauty lol.

I mean, look at this, lol.

People thought self-loathing was unique to the West?

A lot of those Chinese girls with 'big round eyes' are wearing giant contacts, makeup, and other assortment of things to get that so-called "Chinese standard" of beauty lol.

I mean, look at this, lol.

Go look up the origin of the word "mask", "person" and "persona". What an absurd creature we're becoming....

Well, it’s a prominent tactic to reach out, even if subliminally to their target audience. The Republican Party still use this in election campaigns. Making Jewish opponents hold money or have larger noses. Their target audience may or may not know it, but they are drawn to it.

Back