• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Social Chinese Nationalists attack Chinese adverts featuring women with narrow eyes.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
- An ethnic Chinese model is attacked online by Chinese nationalist netziens because she has "slanted eyes"

- The Chinese model appeared in a 2019 Chinese add for a Chinese online snacks retailer called "Three squirrels"

- A top Chinese photographer was attacked for featuring a Chinese model with narrow eyes. The photograph was for French luxury brand Dior.

- Mercedes and Gucci have both come under fire from Chinese netziens for featuring Chinese models with narrow eyes.

- Chinese netziens think the add agencies should feature fair and round eye models because that is the Chinese beauty standard.

- The Chinese nationalists think that featuring Chinese women with "slanted" or narrow eyes is promoting Western racism.

And here is the model for Chinese brand "Three Squirrels".

And here is teh Dior add featuring a different model that also faced the wrath of Chinese nationalists.

----

The Chinese model had this to say

"Do I not deserve to be Chinese just because I have small eyes?"

That is what Chinese model Cai Niangniang wrote in a recent impassioned social media post, after old pictures of her went viral for all the wrong reasons.

For several days she had been attacked online for being "deliberately offensive" and "unpatriotic", over a series of advertisements she had appeared in for Chinese snack brand Three Squirrels.

Her apparent crime? Having narrow eyes.

Some social media users were so outraged that the company eventually removed the ads online, and apologised for making people "feel uncomfortable" over them.

But Ms Cai said that she did not know what she had done to get cyber-bullied, noting that she was "just doing my job" as a model.

"My looks were given to me by my parents," the 28-year-old wrote on the Twitter-like platform Weibo.

"Have I insulted China the day I was born just because of how I look?"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-why-think-small-eyes-002856237.html

-
Amid a growing sense of online nationalism and anti-West sentiment in China, some have seized upon these advertisements as examples of racism towards Chinese people. By featuring models with narrow eyes, critics say these companies are perpetuating Western stereotypes of Chinese faces.

Many asked why these adverts did not feature the kind of models more commonly seen in Chinese advertisements who have fair skin and large round eyes, which are typically considered ideal beauty features in China.

A recent editorial by state news outlet China Daily highlighted how "for too long, Western criteria of beauty, and Western tastes and likes and dislikes dominated aesthetics". That included depicting Asian women in adverts as having narrow eyes, it said.

"The West no longer has an absolute say over everything," the opinion piece read.

"The Chinese people do not need to follow their standards on what constitutes beauty and what kinds of women are considered beautiful."

As a Chinese brand, Three Squirrels "should have known about the sensitivity of Chinese consumers to how they are portrayed in advertisements,", it added.

---

This is some epic level cognitive dissonance here. The Chinese nationalists think that models with features that are typically associated with East Asia is promoting Western racism and instead want models with round eyes, even though people perceive round eyes to be the Western ideal of beauty. So the Chinese netziens are actually promoting a beauty standard that the West is accused of prefering.

Last edited:
Nationalist online mob goes after Chinese model for having slanted eyes
After social media users posted photos of an old ad campaign, angry mobs went after the model for the way her eyes looked, which they claimed played to offensive Western stereotypes about Chinese people.

https://supchina.com/2021/12/27/nat...-after-chinese-model-for-having-slanted-eyes/

Today in “the nationalist cancel mob is at it again,” a Chinese model has found herself at the receiving end of online vitriol not for something she said or did, but for having slanted eyes that she was born with — a common physical characteristic of Chinese people described by her critics as “ugly” and “offensive.”

Self-racism is a very real thing. I personally think she is actually quite beautiful and has unique features.

Hint: modelling agencies arent looking for your stereotypical hot girl in most cases, they want someone with a memorable face that stands out.

Hb07wVT.jpg

Self-racism is a very real thing. I personally think she is actually quite beautiful and has unique features.

Hint: modelling agencies arent looking for your stereotypical hot girl in most cases, they want someone with a memorable face that stands out.

The part where they say Chinese nationalist want big round eyes and fair skin to distance themselves from the west really is a head scratcher. Move away from the west by embracing "western" features.

I don't see how featuring women with East Asian phenotype is a bad thing. These nationalists are invariably saying that this Asian phenotype is ugly , which makes them the racists or self haters.
I wonder if they are mad that westerners are using women with more than usual slanted eyes and that makes it look like the western brands are stereotyping Chinese?

There is an inferiority complex or obesession, however you want to call it, in South and East Asia for models that look closer to a Euro phenotype than the local Asian phenotype. Lots of young women undergo plastic surgery, like the double eyelid surgery, to look more like Western women. In the MiddleEast and South Asia, nose jobs to make the nose more Euro looking is a popular cosmetic surgery.

https://www.dazeddigital.com/beauty/head/article/43499/1/why-double-eyelid-surgery-popular-asia

I wonder if they are mad that westerners are using women with more than usual slanted eyes and that makes it look like the western brands are stereotyping Chinese?
That’s it but I wonder if people in China have ever seen a Chinese person before if they’re mad at that

There is an inferiority complex or obesession, however you want to call it, in South and East Asia for models that look closer to a Euro phenotype than the local Asian phenotype. Lots of young women undergo plastic surgery, like the double eyelid surgery, to look more like Western women. In the MiddleEast and South Asia, nose jobs to make the nose more Euro looking is a popular cosmetic surgery.

https://www.dazeddigital.com/beauty/head/article/43499/1/why-double-eyelid-surgery-popular-asia

I mean, the model doesn't look average. She has that skinny-hot alien good looks everyone shares on America's Next Top Model.

7b4c58be4763d6e35471be8de639e22e

People wonder why western guys like Asian women. Well, a Chinese 5 is an American 10 cause they got some dumb people over there with bad taste lol so send us your 5s, please. lol

I don't see how featuring women with East Asian phenotype is a bad thing. These nationalists are invariably saying that this Asian phenotype is ugly , which makes them the racists or self haters.

They probably feel the same way with the whole white guilt progressive self-hatred thing over here.

Back