Social Chicago Public Schools lost 77,000 devices - $23M worth of laptops, iPads and other devices in 1 year, report says

Detailed reporting: https://www.chalkbeat.org/chicago/2...c-schools-inspector-general-finds-waste-fraud

The inspector found that in 36 schools all the devices assigned to students were marked as lost or stolen, but Fletcher said it was not clear there was an expectation for students to return the devices.

So basically,
1. Public money, nobody's money, so the school and the low IQ workers working there didn't give a fuck about tracking the devices bought during Covid
2. Students were like, hey they're never asking me about this Chromebook... Guess I'll just do a factory reset and make it my own!

CPS released a written statement reacting to the report. On the 77,000 lost laptops and other tech devices, CPS said, "the majority of the 77,000 assets … were well over 5 years old." The district added, "the typical lifespan of a computer is five years. Many of the lost assets were thrown out by schools due to their age."
While this might actually be the case, unless they have the property documents on hand that detail disposal of the devices, this just wreaks of covering their butts. Regardless, you never "just throw assets out" like this. I mean sure, 5 year old devices are slower than newer devices, but unless they've been completely abused someone can still get some use out of them. Seems like a huge waste.

“At three dozen schools, 100 percent of tech devices assigned specifically to students were marked lost or stolen, inventory data showed,” the district report states.
And that's how you know it's not theft but shitty oversight and lazy record keeping.

There's literally no way that 100% of the student population lost their devices. It's unbelievable at 1 school, let alone 36.

If that's what's happening at the administrative level, it just lends support to the argument that the school system itself is failing the kids.

While this might actually be the case, unless they have the property documents on hand that detail disposal of the devices, this just wreaks of covering their butts. Regardless, you never "just throw assets out" like this. I mean sure, 5 year old devices are slower than newer devices, but unless they've been completely abused someone can still get some use out of them. Seems like a huge waste.
They probably disposed of them and didn't properly document it. And then whenever the audit process got around to them, they just marked them lost/stolen rather that admit that they didn't do their paperwork.

Another possibility is that it's an administrative loophole. Claiming that an item is lost or stolen might trigger a faster replacement process than the normal recovery and disposal process.

A third possibility is that they're simply giving the items to the students and then calling them lost/stolen to gain newer equipment. Essentially giving away school assets for their own reasons instead of following procedure.

No matter what the problem is, someone in the administrative oversight chain should be getting fired.

CPS released a written statement reacting to the report. On the 77,000 lost laptops and other tech devices, CPS said, "the majority of the 77,000 assets … were well over 5 years old." The district added, "the typical lifespan of a computer is five years. Many of the lost assets were thrown out by schools due to their age."

Just
Detailed reporting: https://www.chalkbeat.org/chicago/2...c-schools-inspector-general-finds-waste-fraud

The inspector found that in 36 schools all the devices assigned to students were marked as lost or stolen, but Fletcher said it was not clear there was an expectation for students to return the devices.

So basically,
1. Public money, nobody's money, so the school and the low IQ workers working there didn't give a fuck about tracking the devices bought during Covid
2. Students were like, hey they're never asking me about this Chromebook... Guess I'll just do a factory reset and make it my own!

@HOLA

It was almost all Federal money granted during COVID for Remote Classes. Which means the 5 year laptop claims is bullshit.

CPS reports thousands of computers missing — but rarely uses $3 million tracking system to find them​

Thrust into online learning during the pandemic, Chicago Public Schools spent hundreds of millions in federal COVID-19 relief money on laptops and other devices over the past few years, heralding a monumental shift for a school system in which computer access was limited to one where it’s now plentiful.

But CPS dived headlong out of the tech dark ages without strong tracking systems and has failed to upgrade them in recent years. Now, CPS’ inspector general says as many as 77,000 devices — worth more than $23 million — were marked as lost or stolen in just one year.

CPS responds​

The school district says it is enhancing and streamlining its inventory system, and plans to hold principals and other staff accountable for complying with the asset management policy, according to a statement.

Chicago Public Schools agreed to implement all of the inspector general’s recommendations regarding this issue, to some degree. When it comes to holding principals and students accountable for lost devices, CPS says it will create a “cross-functional committee” to determine specifics. The district noted that it wants to “decide the best way to hold students accountable without overburdening families that are at or near poverty level.”

The school system also spends $2.6 million annually on services that allow the district to freeze devices or to geo-track them, but in the school year that ended in June 2022, only 11 devices were recovered using those services, according to the OIG report.

CPS requires schools to fill out police reports for all items designated as lost or stolen, but the inspector general said this was a useless activity.

“Indeed, key CPS officials could not cite any examples of any tech device marked lost in 2021-2022 that was later returned based on a Lost Property police report. CPS is eliminating the requirement that lost property police reports be filed, per the OIG recommendation,” the CPS IG wrote in the report.

Nice to know that filing police reports for stolen or lost property is just as useless for Schools as it is for Private citizens.... lol

And what a Return On Investment!!!! ... Spending almost $3 Million per year on a device tracking system helped them recover 11 devices out of the 22,000 lost/stolen.

Does anyone really want the Government to run Healthcare? lol... fucking idiots

And that's how you know it's not theft but shitty oversight and lazy record keeping.

There's literally no way that 100% of the student population lost their devices. It's unbelievable at 1 school, let alone 36.

If that's what's happening at the administrative level, it just lends support to the argument that the school system itself is failing the kids.

Agreed...

And how do you fix it? I don't have the slightest clue honestly. Throwing money at the problem is obviously not the solution.

plans to hold principals and other staff accountable for complying with the asset management policy, according to a statement.
They should've been doing this already . . . sheesh. What moron is running that district.

They probably disposed of them and didn't properly document it. And then whenever the audit process got around to them, they just marked them lost/stolen rather that admit that they didn't do their paperwork.

Another possibility is that it's an administrative loophole. Claiming that an item is lost or stolen might trigger a faster replacement process than the normal recovery and disposal process.

A third possibility is that they're simply giving the items to the students and then calling them lost/stolen to gain newer equipment. Essentially giving away school assets for their own reasons instead of following procedure.

No matter what the problem is, someone in the administrative oversight chain should be getting fired.

They didn't dispose of them. Per the Inspector's Report (not the response from Chicago Public Schools). These were devices purchased using Federal COVID Relief money and were reported lost or stolen.

Thrust into online learning during the pandemic, Chicago Public Schools spent hundreds of millions in federal COVID-19 relief money on laptops and other devices over the past few years, heralding a monumental shift for a school system in which computer access was limited to one where it’s now plentiful.

But CPS dived headlong out of the tech dark ages without strong tracking systems and has failed to upgrade them in recent years. Now, CPS’ inspector general says as many as 77,000 devices — worth more than $23 million — were marked as lost or stolen in just one year.

They should've been doing this already . . . sheesh. What moron is running that district.

Why should they care? Its Federal Tax Payer money...

Which means its free, right?

Wait, this is making news now?

Of course this happened. It happened all over the country. This is not a Chicago thing.

Within a month of schools closing due to the pandemic, the principal at the school my niece teaches at had to send a letter to all of the families telling them to stop selling their school provided ipads/chromebooks on Facebook Marketplace.

Even in my small high school, on the last day of school, our tech office had to recollect the Chromebooks that were assigned to each kid at the start of the year. Even before they began the audit, they knew 1/3 were missing.

Just last month, one of my students lost his school assigned Chromebook. So, the next day, he brought in the Chromebook he received from his school three years ago when he lived in another town.

Agreed...

And how do you fix it? I don't have the slightest clue honestly. Throwing money at the problem is obviously not the solution.
I have various government equipment assigned to me. When it's time to do annual inventory I have to provide physical evidence of where the equipment is located and if it was removed from service I need to provide the correct documentation to support that. If I can't, the property management folks will do some digging to see if an issue exists. They'll make a recommendation to a review board that will step in to review the issue. If they find I was negligent I have to pay for the equipment.

This accounted for all equipment in my department not already assigned to individual staff. As the department manager I had dozens of network switches, servers, etc. on my list that I was responsible for . . . . should be the same for classrooms and/or schools. Either the principal or the teachers are responsible for knowing where the equipment in their classroom is located at all times. Once it's checked out to a student, the student is responsible for the equipment.

the principal at the school my niece teaches at had to send a letter to all of the families telling them to stop selling their school provided ipads/chromebooks on Facebook Marketplace.
Wow

Does anyone really want the Government to run Healthcare?
The government does a great job of setting itself up to fail in many cases . . . if it could get out of it's own way I think the model is there for a system to be ran well.

Agreed...

Throwing money at the problem is definitely not the solution to the schools problem, Baltimore school districts are a fine example of this.

I have various government equipment assigned to me. When it's time to do annual inventory I have to provide physical evidence of where the equipment is located and if it was removed from service I need to provide the correct documentation to support that. If I can't, the property management folks will do some digging to see if an issue exists. They'll make a recommendation to a review board that will step in to review the issue. If they find I was negligent I have to pay for the equipment.

This accounted for all equipment in my department not already assigned to individual staff. As the department manager I had dozens of network switches, servers, etc. on my list that I was responsible for . . . . should be the same for classrooms and/or schools. Either the principal or the teachers are responsible for knowing where the equipment in their classroom is located at all times. Once it's checked out to a student, the student is responsible for the equipment.

As noted in the Inspector CPS report. How are they going to go after extremely low income families who are barely getting by already?

CPS says it will create a “cross-functional committee” to determine specifics. The district noted that it wants to “decide the best way to hold students accountable without overburdening families that are at or near poverty level.”

I have zero answers for this problem. Because a low income student may honestly lose or have their backpack stolen with their laptop in it. My division manager and superintendent have had their work laptops stolen from their trucks at lunch meetings. Smash & Grabs are crazy around here... as in other places. I never leave my backpack with my laptop in my truck anymore.

And then again, maybe a student decides to sell it and claim it's lost/stolen. And if the family can't buy another one? What then?

Maybe it's time to go back to books, pen and paper... It's amazing I made it through Engineering School with my pencil and a calculator. lol...

Schools are locally funded.

Lol.. sigh

The devices in Chicago were funded with Covd Relief Funds.

Back