Crime Chicago and other cities suing Kia and Hyundai for rampant car thefts.

I'm pretty sure the DA of Wisconsin is on record proudly proclaiming that his radical leftist policies will cost lives.

Birds of a feather...
You're assuming that the thieves wouldn't be prosecuted, which is false

Why not both

I dont really care, let the big companys and failing cities eat each other

This isn't going to work. Why is this only a problem in black communities, and not a problem in Korea, where the cars are manufactured

this is only going to make Asians more racist towards blacks.

This isn't a problem in Asia, the largest continent in the world

This isn't a problem in Europe

that’s because the Asian man(who are classified as white) don’t know the struggle of the black man. White supremacy strikes again.

This is why we kneel.

A lot of people are just jumping to the conclusion that thiefs aren't going to be charged.

This act is in addition to that charge.

You're assuming that the thieves wouldn't be prosecuted, which is false

Why not both

What do you think the percentage of stolen cars that end with a conviction is ?

Wanna help me do some Google homework? I bet ya it's less than 20 %

Yeah, the whole Kia and Hyundai are legally responsible for car thefts in Chicago, is a real winner. The city will win this one. I can feel it. It's no different than cars randomly catching on fire. It's a safety feature issue...

ROFL!

Pan has no shame.
You literally have zero idea how products liability works.

@panamaican literally laid it out for you.

Guess the old saying is true, you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

You literally have zero idea how products liability works.

@panamaican literally laid it out for you.

Guess the old saying is true, you can lead a horse to water but can't make it drink.

LOL

Kia and Hyundai are not mandated to install the most state of the art security systems, to protect them from crime infested shit holes. You may as well demand they install bullet proof glass for their windows.

It's cute that you think Pan laid out anything, other than his usual contrarian trolling. When this lawsuit gets tossed, I expect an apology.

The problem is these cars are too easy to steal. All you need is a usb charger

LOL

Kia and Hyundai are not mandated to install the most state of the art security systems, to protect them from crime infested shit holes. You may as well demand they install bullet proof glass for their windows.

It's cute that you think Pan laid out anything, other than his usual contrarian trolling. When this lawsuit gets tossed, I expect an apology.

So, I'll confess after watching the video, the "defect" with the car was totally not what I initially understood it to be as the basis for my prior posts. I thought it was not having tracking devices. It seems now it is about starting the car.

That being said, I will still maintain that for a lawsuit to work, you really need to prove that some law was broken. And this bar of "too easy to steal" doesn't really cut it.

Now, with that also being said, the "defect" with the car appears to be something that I would be much less surprised if it actually did violate some sort of existing safety standard, which would have to be the crux of the case I reckon.

Now, with that also being said, I would also warn that the court case could be very interesting and not thrown out, for at least two reasons:
1) it appears Toyota got railroaded pretty good with their "place mat" defect - the media coverage was completely ridiculous, sensationalist, and bad faith and they needed to do all sorts of things to protect their brand
2) Kia and Hyundai are foreign companies, and I think it can be dubious when a local government sues a company headquartered elsewhere. You may recall when Johnny Depp sued UK companies for defamation re: Amber Heard, the judge ruled against him and threw it out quick. Then when Depp sued Heard and a trial for the world to see it was overwhelming in Depp's favor.

There are likely other factors that would be a difference between the Heard case against the tabloids in the UK, and the case against her directly, but it does make me raise my eyebrow about some additional forces that may be at play.

What didn't you understand? I said, car companies are greedy, so im all for them getting sued or going out of business. I wish the US didn't bail out a few of them years ago.
Ratio checks out

This is a problem nationwide with these cars, and it's a significant public safety concern as very often the reason cars are stolen is so other crimes can be committed with those stolen cars.

There are regulations regarding car makers and anti-theft devices, they aren't outright required.

Although, even though they aren't required, a civil case may have merit, as it could be considered negligence to not include a common safety item that is found in 95% of other vehicles.

In a ridiculous, but unsurprising move, Chicago mayor, Brandon Johnson, has filed a lawsuit against the auto makers for failure to install anti-theft chips.
Johnson claims that Kia and Hyundai are responsible for the extreme uptick in car thefts of these brands that are being used in other crimes such as thefts, robberies, and murders.

Brought to you by the same people that sue gun manufacturers for people using weapons to commit crimes. They blame these companies instead of the criminals and the criminal culture that leads to these types of situations.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willsk...s-in-the-city-and-nationwide/?sh=4116c8f43680
You can look at this multiple ways.

-Is it dumb to blame Hyundai/Kia for a war zone being a war zone???? Hell yeah. I hate how this is being politicized. When bringing a giant suit you kind of have to stack the deck though.

-However, Im a huge consumer rights advocate who feels corporations are getting away with fraud & inappropriate conduct further & further every year. I think it's ridiculous that Kia has known about this, and has done a piss poor job with what used to be normal, expected, & standard recall processes to help their consumers who purchased a faulty $25,000-$80,000 item from them. Instead they waited until it was an internet Meme, an insurance issue, & world news.

If Kia can't do recalls in a timely manner for ZERO cost they should be forced to post and disclose that their cars do not come with modern anti theft measures and that their vehicles are stolen at x amount the rate of the nation standard. Right on the window in a separate sticker. Also, with any purchase agreement.

-I have a problem with Chicago blaming their crime wave and problems on an auto manufacturer. Its a bit ridiculous.

-I also have a problem with a foreign auto maker selling a defective, dangerous, & stupid product to US consumers without fully disclosing how shitty their system and technology truly is. This is just as ridiculous.

I'm old enough to remember when the media piled on about Toyotas randomly accelerating to top speed causing accidents when it was clear the incidents were driver error.
Lol no they were not

Toyota still makes the best quality econo-boxes but they have shit the bed more than once

Lol no they were not

Toyota still makes the best quality econo-boxes but they have shit the bed more than once

Lot of info suggests the vast majority were.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...oyotas-unintended-acceleration-scare-feature/

edit:

And an investigation by the Department of Transportation in 2011 found that floor mats only accounted for a small fraction the accidents.

The real culprit? Human error. More often than not, drivers who reported that their accelerators were stuck were inadvertently flooring it and thinking they were pressing the brakes. Data from many of the “black boxes” from cars involved in incidents of unintended acceleration showed that in most cases, the brakes were never even touched.

The drivers were often in vehicles that were new or unfamiliar to them, or for whatever reason, they just got confused.

One of the more frustrating aspects of this whole fiasco was the media’s response. Instead of alerting drivers to the potential dangers of confusing the accelerator with the brake — which could happen to any of us — the focus was on Toyota’s cover up, the scary and unpredictable software in cars, and of course, the floor mats.

You can look at this multiple ways.

-Is it dumb to blame Hyundai/Kia for a war zone being a war zone???? Hell yeah. I hate how this is being politicized. When bringing a giant suit you kind of have to stack the deck though.

-However, Im a huge consumer rights advocate who feels corporations are getting away with fraud & inappropriate conduct further & further every year. I think it's ridiculous that Kia has known about this, and has done a piss poor job with what used to be normal, expected, & standard recall processes to help their consumers who purchased a faulty $25,000-$80,000 item from them. Instead they waited until it was an internet Meme, an insurance issue, & world news.

If Kia can't do recalls in a timely manner for ZERO cost they should be forced to post and disclose that their cars do not come with modern anti theft measures and that their vehicles are stolen at x amount the rate of the nation standard. Right on the window in a separate sticker. Also, with any purchase agreement.

-I have a problem with Chicago blaming their crime wave and problems on an auto manufacturer. Its a bit ridiculous.

-I also have a problem with a foreign auto maker selling a defective, dangerous, & stupid product to US consumers without fully disclosing how shitty their system and technology truly is. This is just as ridiculous.

I certainly see your, and some other points, however, I still feel this is akin to suing gun manufacturers for people doing bad things with their products. Should the free market not have a say in people deciding “fuck Kia, I am not buying a stealable vehicle.” But people like brandon johnson think that poor people and people of color are too stupid to look into such issues when they buy a car. I actually really like the telluride and the new Kia logo looks slick, but I wouldn’t buy one if this issue isn’t fixed, and that hurts kia. That or insurance companies will refuse to cover kias because of the headache and it is only a matter of time, if not already, that they get sued by the family of some victim of violence or killed in a crash by a Kia driven by thugs. You know they won’t sue the thugs because they don’t have shit, maybe the owner if they can’t get the insurance company on the hook, but again, no one holds the shitbag criminals at fault here. They get a pass. Maybe six months in jail for stealing a car if caught. But that’s about it.

I certainly see your, and some other points, however, I still feel this is akin to suing gun manufacturers for people doing bad things with their products. Should the free market not have a say in people deciding “fuck Kia, I am not buying a stealable vehicle.” But people like brandon johnson think that poor people and people of color are too stupid to look into such issues when they buy a car. I actually really like the telluride and the new Kia logo looks slick, but I wouldn’t buy one if this issue isn’t fixed, and that hurts kia. That or insurance companies will refuse to cover kias because of the headache and it is only a matter of time, if not already, that they get sued by the family of some victim of violence or killed in a crash by a Kia driven by thugs. You know they won’t sue the thugs because they don’t have shit, maybe the owner if they can’t get the insurance company on the hook, but again, no one holds the shitbag criminals at fault here. They get a pass. Maybe six months in jail for stealing a car if caught. But that’s about it.
Telluride looks great. I wish they made one with like the Stinger awd drivetrain. Kind of would be an awesome budget Trackhawk. But I think that Hyundai GV80 3.5T may kind of be that. Think that motor is a larger displacement version of what's in those Stingers. Which has proven to be a pretty impressive motor for a heavy ass modern car.

But even those Stingers are pretty impressive. I went to the drag strip for test & tune on my street car. There were 2 Stingers that were absolutely destroying all the modern bolt on Hemi challengers/chargers , bolt on GM LS/LT cars, and bolt on SBF, 3 valve, 4 valve , & Coyote Mustangs. Was very impressed.

I think it's different a bit than the gun argument. I would liken more to suing a gun company for a defective gun, while still blaming them for the gun violence. There is merit in the lawsuit for the shitty product but blaming them for the other stuff is railroading.

But following this issue for a few years actually made me cross a Stinger off my daily driver replacement list & the GV80 off my Mom's new SUV list.

I think most people are stupid when it comes to buying car though lol so I'm a bit biased.
But I'm all for the free-market figuring it out as long as our worthless fkn government and advocacy groups actually use our blood tax dollars to make sure this MAJOR issue is disclosed at dealer level to all consumers.

Otherwise its too easy for a slick talking professional con man car salesman to explain it away. Or for a little old lady who doesn't surf the web to not be tracking on.

Also, yeah they should stiffen penalties. I'm almost more for a stand your ground property law than my actual person.... I think thieves are one of the lowest forms of life. I don’t believe in making excuses for poor people who steal.

Toyota has a similar problem with Prius catalytic converter theft..the numbers worldwide are astronomical and Toyota is making a killing selling new ones (in places like California especially, where the state requires OEM part replacement, no aftermarket allowed).. there definitely have been murmurings of class action lawsuits

Anything to avoid blaming perpetual victim class responsible for the crimes
O when realnvoctims start to clear the gene pool then they will come and say how we need to calm down and stop doing this then you really double down and off as many car thief as possible

Back