• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News *** Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev MEGA THREAD PART II (OFFICIAL FOR UFC 280, 10/22) ***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
You think wade is a better wrestler than charles. You think islam will dominate the grappling, and you think having charles on top of him is no big deal. You're also hyper focused on the felder fight for some reason.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that wade is a better mma wrestler than Charles -- they average about the same amount of takedowns per 15 minutes (wade is very, very slightly higher), but charles did it while facing far better competition, and charles has better takedown defense, and charles is bigger. I also haven't seen any reason to completely brush off the possibility of charles getting on top. Is it unlkely? yeah, but it's a possibility, and a dangerous one.

Are you just supremely confident in Islam's bottom game, or are you just supremely confident that Charles can't sweep him to end up on top and taken him down and end up on top?
I'm confident in Islam's bottom game, but not supremely. I think he will win the scrambles and end up on top. I'm not worried about Charles sweeping Islam. I think Charles can catch Islam in a submission but it is very low probability. As far as Wade and Oliveira, I think Wade is the better scrambler and better at takedowns. I think Charles is much better at BJJ on the ground, Wade is not even close IMO. If Charles is fighting someone who isn't good on the ground, he'll dominate and get the sub. I think Charles has a big advantage on the feet but on the ground I think many will be surprised how much better Islam is.

Chael's prediction/curse is in and now I'm feeling less sure about Islam's chances lol.

He did make a good point though about how people online are massively favoring Oliveira (70%) while the betting odds slightly favor Islam. One is thinking with their heart, the other with their brain.

Neither are overlooking each other. Its one of the most anticipated championship fights in years, these guys are NOT looking past it. You're reading way too much into this TS!

I think it's more the other way. Islam talking about moving up, how he is going to win the striking, Khabib and Mendes at AKA saying it will be such an easy fight. Islam has talked a lot about how Charles Oliveira is a quitter. Charles has earned his confidence where as Islam comes off entitled, hanging onto Khabib's coattails.

I mean, what you’re describing is what Oliveira is doing too. He’s also being dismissive with his first round KO claims and saying Islam doesn’t deserve to be there. He’s also talking about his next fight. The difference between arrogance and confidence is just your fandom bias.

Given the number of fights he has had in his career, I doubt he's taking Islam lightly

I'm confident in Islam's bottom game, but not supremely. I think he will win the scrambles and end up on top. I'm not worried about Charles sweeping Islam. I think Charles can catch Islam in a submission but it is very low probability. As far as Wade and Oliveira, I think Wade is the better scrambler and better at takedowns. I think Charles is much better at BJJ on the ground, Wade is not even close IMO. If Charles is fighting someone who isn't good on the ground, he'll dominate and get the sub. I think Charles has a big advantage on the feet but on the ground I think many will be surprised how much better Islam is.

I think charle's wrestling is very underrated in mma, it's just not very conventional. He times his shots as good as anyone. You don't average nearly a takedown a round while fighting the level of competition he's been fighting for a decade if you're not good at wrestling. Charles likely won't get on top, though, because islam is very, very good. I just won't be surprised if Charles does find a way on top, and if he does get on top, I'd be very interested in seeing how Islam responds.

I mean, what you’re describing is what Oliveira is doing too. He’s also being dismissive with his first round KO claims and saying Islam doesn’t deserve to be there. He’s also talking about his next fight. The difference between arrogance and confidence is just your fandom bias.
No, he is not. When he's asked, he always say Islam is the most important fight, first and foremost. And IF he beats Islam, he would like to fight in Brazil. He never says anything about next opponents.

Good breakdown. Glad he mentioned the Moises fight and how many holes Islam has in the clinch against the cage.

I am feeling more and more confident for Charles.

Not at all, I think he views Islam as the toughest fight of his life

Sometimes people forget these guys have to keep themselves in a mindset that allows them to fight in a cage in front of millions of people

Reactions: kuf
That's what happens when you see a sentence without seeing all the picture. People are used to that, but that doesn't mean it is the correct thing to do...

No idea what you’re talking about. You said he never mentioned other opponents. Are you saying he didn’t say this?

For the record, you don’t need to go around and defend his every move. For what it’s worth, I don’t think either is being arrogant. What I see is two confident athletes.

No idea what you’re talking about. You said he never mentioned other opponents. Are you saying he didn’t say this?

For the record, you don’t need to go around and defend his every move. For what it’s worth, I don’t think either is being arrogant. What I see is two confident athletes.
Of course you got the point. But if you want to do the right thing, that's up to you. I just think that when you see one sentence without all the context as a truth of the universe, that's absolutely nonsense.

You said something that is not true and I said he never does that, nothing more. Me defending him or not doesn't have anything to do and/or change that.

He wouldn't bring in Iranian wrestlers or train very hard if he was overlooking him. I think most guys knows any of these Dage/Chechnya guys are going to be hell to fight.

Back