• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

News *** Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev MEGA THREAD PART II (OFFICIAL FOR UFC 280, 10/22) ***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
I have been watching the pros pick on Islam vs Charles and this is the latest number.

If Charles win, its expected. If Islam win, how silly will these guys look? I think it'll be even funnier if islam gets a finish lmao
The silliest part of all is , the still ongoing narrative that Charles Oliveira is disrispected and counted out , and that everyone is favouring Islam Makhachev to win. I'll say that the opposite is true ,the one overlooked here is Makhachev; and yes it will be really funny to see how wrong 77 supposed pro (which by the way pick based on who they want to win rather than picking rationally) were.

The silliest part of all is , the still ongoing narrative that Charles Oliveira is disrispected and counted out , and that everyone is favouring Islam Makhachev to win. I'll say that the opposite is true ,the one overlooked here is Makhachev; and yes it will be really funny to see how wrong 77 supposed pro (which by the way pick based on who they want to win rather than picking rationally) were.
I can understand why the Pros pick Oliveira - the way he dismantled his last few opponents has been frightening and I think those that are picking Charles think the same will happen to Islam. It's possible but styles often make fights and Islam fights nothing like Charles past opponents.

For every Felder, there was a poirier, ferguson, giagos etc etc. I'm not saying that oliveira on top would be instant death, but it could certainly contribute to him winning a round and altering the trajectory of the fight. The only time we've really seen islam on his back in the ufc was when he sat in a guillotine for like 90 seconds against wade, and again against wade while islam sold out on a triangle attempt while getting punched in the face. He lost that round, and chris wade is no oliveira. Even back before the ufc, he was very obviously nowhere near as comfortable off his back as he is on top.

The fact that DC mentions oliveira working his BJJ from top position as the worst case scenario only corroborates this. It's clearly not a threat to just brush off.
"Chris Wade is no Oliveira" "I'm not saying Oliveira on top would be instant death"
Wade has better wrestling than Oliveira. It's funny that the commentary (especially Rogan) was saying Felder was in grave danger every time it went to the ground during the Felder/Oliveira fight. Felder survived a deep darce and other submissions. When he got on top of Oliveira, Rogan and the whole team thought he should disengage and standup. Felder proceeded to maul Oliveira whenever he was on top. I think Oliveira's grappling is very overrated. Could Islam get caught in a submission? Anything is possible but I think it is highly unlikely. I think everyone will be surprised how much better Islam is on the ground. I expect Islam to dominate the grappling. I think Charles has the obvious edge on the feet. I'm excited to see this fight, the matchup intrigues me.

I can understand why the Pros pick Oliveira - the way he dismantled his last few opponents has been frightening and I think those that are picking Charles think the same will happen to Islam. It's possible but styles often make fights and Islam fights nothing like Charles past opponents.
Of the last 3 fighters only Chandler was willing to engage on the ground, Makhachev will not conced Oliveira that luxury. I think most of them are overcompensating for having doubts in previous Oliveira fights.

Last edited:
For every Felder, there was a poirier, ferguson, giagos etc etc. I'm not saying that oliveira on top would be instant death, but it could certainly contribute to him winning a round and altering the trajectory of the fight. The only time we've really seen islam on his back in the ufc was when he sat in a guillotine for like 90 seconds against wade, and again against wade while islam sold out on a triangle attempt while getting punched in the face. He lost that round, and chris wade is no oliveira. Even back before the ufc, he was very obviously nowhere near as comfortable off his back as he is on top.

The fact that DC mentions oliveira working his BJJ from top position as the worst case scenario only corroborates this. It's clearly not a threat to just brush off.

I think that DC mentions Oliveira on top as the worst case scenario is because Oliveira rarely finish people from bottom position , he has a better chance of working his bjj from top position, not because Makhachev is not good in the bottom position.Oliveira is more of an opportunistic finisher than someone who slowly build towards a sub.

All this talk.from him about how he doesnt deserve the title fight, first round ko and now the chat about who he is fighting after and then moving weight classes.
Does anyone feel he is looking past Islam and let the support go to his head?
Will it matter or make a difference?

They both are confident in their ability and maybe a little dismissive of their opponent.

I doubt it. I think it's more like a Stipe-Ngannou 1 situation. Charles doesn't have the belt but feels like the A-side, yet he was pressured to fight what he feels is a prematurely crowned challenger in enemy territory. He's more than a bit salty and not shy about it but I doubt any lightweight looks at Islam's fights and thinks, "That's easy work."

He's pumping himself up. Confidence in himself has been one of the major changes charles has made, and this is just more of it.

I think it's more the other way. Islam talking about moving up, how he is going to win the striking, Khabib and Mendes at AKA saying it will be such an easy fight. Islam has talked a lot about how Charles Oliveira is a quitter. Charles has earned his confidence where as Islam comes off entitled, hanging onto Khabib's coattails.

When is Weasel doing a breakdown of Yan/O'Malley?

I'd really like to know who he's picking here.

Back