• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Charles Oliveira Doesn’t Think It’s 'Fair' to Face Islam Makhachev in Abu Dhabi Again

Is he right?

• Total voters
Not lucky. He took out the only other clear contender, making himself the only viable option.

They could have just gave Dariush the title fight. He's lucky they matched him against the next contender.

Lol @ all you muffins whining about Islam fighting in Abu Dhabi for only the 3rd time in his career.
Meanwhile, he's fought just about every other fight in enemy territory all his life.

He's the champ and he earned his right to defend on his home turf.
And for the record - he's from Russia not UAE. It's not his fault he has such a large fanbase.

Love a click bait a title that makes it seem like he's whining about it.

I also give props to Islam for going down to Austraila and defending his belt against Volk.

I don't like this at all. He already lost on the mental side again, it should have been "It doesn't matter where the fight is." He's shook. Again. Bet the house on Islam. Sadly...

I don't like this at all. He already lost on the mental side again, it should have been "It doesn't matter where the fight is." He's shook. Again. Bet the house on Islam. Sadly...

I don't think it's that, nothing to worry about. I think it's more that there was an event in Brazil on Nov 4th and he wanted it there instead. It's a week later and they already did a fight in AbuDhabi a year ago. I think when he says it's not fair is more to do with that.

“That’s where the champion is. He calls the shots. But I’m coming back for my belt wherever that is.”

Maybe not but he agreed to it.
You speak like the UFC was neutral about all this and they by all means do not pressure fighters into signing any contract they do not want!
ZuffaZombies never die <45><Lmaoo>

I don't think it's that, nothing to worry about. I think it's more that there was an event in Brazil on Nov 4th and he wanted it there instead. It's a week later and they already did a fight in AbuDhabi a year ago. I think when he says it's not fair is more to do with that.

It's unfair Islam doesn't get to fight in Russia.

I really don't see the issue here. Islam just defended his belt in enemy territory, while giving another champion from a lower weight a chance at his belt. I really don't think it's unreasonable for him to want his next fight after in a spot he's more comfortable after giving up that kind of territorial advantage on his first defense. On top of that, Islam ALREADY dismantled this opponent. So why shouldn't he be the one whose given preference on fight location? He can't get actual home field advantage because obviously there isn't going to be any major international sporting events inside russian borders for some time. So I don't see the issue allowing him to defend in Abu Dhabi instead. Plus people LOVE to cite whats best for business should get the preference in who challenges for a belt all the time. So why is suddenly doing that with fight location suddenly out of bounds?

You speak like the UFC was neutral about all this and they by all means do not pressure fighters into signing any contract they do not want!
ZuffaZombies never die <45><Lmaoo>

Pretty gross and reaching misinterpretation about my stance. I’m not defending what the UFC does, they’re obviously scummy in how they do things. They do pressure fighters, no doubt about it. But they still have to agree at the end of the day, they cannot force them to do anything.

Back