• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Charles Oliveira Doesn’t Think It’s 'Fair' to Face Islam Makhachev in Abu Dhabi Again

Is he right?

• Total voters
Sorry Charles,

its-what-it-is-it-happens.gif

Charles couldn’t make weight in freaking Phoenix.
But thats why its in abu dabi so you can towel gate it. And fighters routinely come in heavier in lw fights than what charles came in for the title.

This is a straight freaking lie. Everyone knows what happened.
Yes. Charles stepped on the scale and missed weight, was given another opportunity, and still missed weight. I’m a fan of Charles btw, I’m not saying this to be a hater or anything. The dude didn’t make weight, period. There were 15 fights on that card, and 28 out of 30 fighters made weight (Norma Dumont was the other miss). There was even another title fight on that card, and both Rose and Carla made weight—so making championship weight instead of having the 1 pound allowance wasn’t the issue either.

But thats why its in abu dabi so you can towel gate it. And fighters routinely come in heavier in lw fights than what charles came in for the title.
If that’s the case though, Charles shouldn’t be complaining about fighting there, right?

Yes. Charles stepped on the scale and missed weight, was given another opportunity, and still missed weight. I’m a fan of Charles btw, I’m not saying this to be a hater or anything. The dude didn’t make weight, period. There were 15 fights on that card, and 28 out of 30 fighters made weight (Norma Dumont was the other miss). There was even another title fight on that card, and both Rose and Carla made weight—so making championship weight instead of having the 1 pound allowance wasn’t the issue either.

Ufc did admit one of their guys fucked up things with the scale, though. Just because others succeeded in fucked up conditions, doesnt mean things weren't fucked up.

The ufc wouldn't haved admitted it otherwise.

Last edited:
Islam is from Russia so it probably isn’t as simple as many make it sound and he likely faces many of the same challenges as Charles to fight there. And there’s no proof to any of the claims that they allow Islam to cheat there so that’s just irrelevant. Also I’ve only ever seen fighters speak positively about the way they treated when fighting in Abu Dhabi so it obviously isn’t some incredibly hostile environment like many make it seem.

What is unfair is the fact that Charles was never given the chance to defend in Brazil.

As a HUGE fan of Du Bronx I don't think it's fair at all. That being said, as a fan of MMA it just looked like Islam had an answer for everything in his arsenal and just was the nightmare match up stylistically for him. So as much as it pains me to say it the result may very well be the same wherever the fight took/takes place.

The location shouldn't matter. It's the same cage, and the same opponent.

Judges? Doubt this fight will need them. The last one didn't.
I think it’s a few things. You don’t have to let your imagination walk too far to figure it out. I won’t get into the war room discussion that is inevitable, here

Ufc did admit one of their guys fucked up things with the scale, though. Just because other's succeeded in fucked up conditions, doesnt mean things weren't fucked up.

The ufc wouldn't haved admitted it otherwise.
Sure they would, the UFC says goofy shit to do damage control all the time. Honestly, I find that idea unlikely. What did they say at the time, something like the scale varied anywhere from 1/2 a pound, up to 2 lbs? And yet, Gaethje was 155 right on the nose. Rose and Carla, both 115 on the nose. Chandler 156, T-Ferg 155.5; Shogun 205.5, OSP 205; Cerrone and Lauzon both 155.5. There’s just no evidence of wildly varying weights on that scale.

Sure they would, the UFC says goofy shit to do damage control all the time. Honestly, I find that idea unlikely. What did they say at the time, something like the scale varied anywhere from 1/2 a pound, up to 2 lbs? And yet, Gaethje was 155 right on the nose. Rose and Carla, both 115 on the nose. Chandler 156, T-Ferg 155.5; Shogun 205.5, OSP 205; Cerrone and Lauzon both 155.5. There’s just no evidence of wildly varying weights on that scale.

Why would ufc admit to a mistake they didn't make? That makes even less sense to me.

So, are you suggesting Charles is a liar? Because he swear to his daughter's life he didn't miss any weight, he was ready in Thursday as always (P.S.: since last time he really missed, against Lamas). Between Charles and you being a keyboard warrior, knowing all that happened and doesn't seem to understand, Charles word is just fine to me.

You are pretty naive or that's just your narrative. They robbed Charles, "period".

Why would ufc admit to a mistake they didn't make? That makes even less sense to me.
If they made any mistake, it had to be extremely insignificant. Again, the only other fighter to miss weight was Dumont—and both Charles and Norma Dumont have a history of weight misses. Charles came in close to 155 for a friggin FW fight once. Since both missed by 1/2 pound, I guess you could try and make the argument that the scale was the difference. But look at the weights of the fighters for that card
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2022/05/ufc-274-weigh-in-results-and-live-video-stream-noon-et
There were 26 fighters who weren’t in title fights and thus had a 1 pound allowance. Excluding Dumont, who missed, and the two HWs who don’t weigh near 265 anyway, that makes 23 fighters who were allowed to be one pound over. And yet, 21 of those didn’t hit that one pound overage. There’s no evidence of that scale weighing heavy at all, as far as I can tell.

Back