Change My View: Nick Diaz will run through Lawler

I hope you're all right, I love Diaz.. one of a kind! However, Lawler has been more active, and he has his "BEAST MODE" that not many fighters have... I honestly cannot pick a winner here.. if I HAD to bet, Lawler, but I hope Diaz pulls it off, both dudes ARE seriously fun to watch, FUCK!

Just to start, I am not a Diaz fanboy in any way. If anything, I’m more of a Lawler fan.

I believe Lawler has too many fight miles on him to be effective in stopping Nick’s pressure style.

As of recent, Lawler has looked somewhat gunshy and a bit too happy to sit against the cage and dodge punches without throwing back.

Not throwing back and only defending is a sign of fight miles and age catching up.

I believe Nick will be the fresher fighter on Saturday, considering he only has to deal with ring rust and age. He doesn’t have to deal with fight mileage at all, because he has always had somewhat lengthy layoffs in between fights, especially in his recent career.

Morning Kombat have a record of 6-0 for doing Resume Reviews on the loser, they've just done one for Nick Diaz. Ergo Lawler is going to win.

I hope we see Nick doing bong rips and eating Doritos in between rounds

Nick is like a decade out from his last win. Picking him to run through anyone isn't based on anything demonstrable.

Someone always makes this dumb ass comment at least once in a Nick Diaz related thread.

You know what? Matt Hughes is a decade out from his last win as well.

Being retired and being on a losing streak are very different things. GSP was away for almost 5 years and came back successfully.

If you look at Nick's run before his fight with Silva that ended up with him in suspension and legal limbo for years, he was on an 11 fight win streak with 9 finishes. Then he fought a snoozer with Condit who played running man for 25 minutes and then went 25 minutes with and did some damage to the WW GOAT. Then he fought a juiced to the gills 185 pound GOAT contender who also refused to engage.

His time away may have atrophied his skills completely and we will find out soon enough but this "no wins in a decade comment" is the usual moronic type of comment we get on here.

Someone always makes this dumb ass comment at least once in a Nick Diaz related thread.

You know what? Matt Hughes is a decade out from his last win as well.

Being retired and being on a losing streak are very different things. GSP was away for almost 5 years and came back successfully.

If you look at Nick's run before his fight with Silva that ended up with him in suspension and legal limbo for years, he was on an 11 fight win streak with 9 finishes. Then he fought a snoozer with Condit who played running man for 25 minutes and then went 25 minutes with and did some damage to the WW GOAT. Then he fought a juiced to the gills 185 pound GOAT contender who also refused to engage.

His time away may have atrophied his skills completely and we will find out soon enough but this "no wins in a decade comment" is the usual moronic type of comment we get on here.

You put a real nice shine on a three fight losing a streak.

That's all anyone is saying though. We haven't seen him, so his skills may have atrophied, but we don't know. That's what they mean when they say some variation of "but we haven't seen 'ol Diaz' in a decade".

The way I read it, you're agreeing and elaborating, not disagreeing.

This is based on nothing.

We have no idea how Nick has aged.

Do you know him personally?
Did you even read the OP? He clearly explained his reasoning. You might not agree with it but it certainly isn't based on nothing.

Lawler has taken a lot of damage in his career and a lot more damage in recent years. Nick hasn't had many fights where he took a lot of damage and when he has he has taken longer breaks between fights. OP mentioned that could be a big advantage for Nick, which it could be. We won't know till after the fight but OP has reason to believe it would be a factor.

Last edited:
Robbie is the kind of guy that falls in and out of love with MMA.

He mailed it in for the majority of his strikeforce run but got serious again when he came back to the UFC.

The past few years I think he has been collecting checks like he did in strikeforce not giving a shit if he won or lost.

I think he will be very motivated and train hard for this fight
hes gonna want that ko back

Impossible to predict, we have no clue how Diaz is going to perform as he hasn’t fought in a VERY long time. I would however expect him to athletically look very good, both Diaz bros stay in shape outside the cage. Considering that Diaz beat Lawler once and that Lawler has looked bad lately, if I had to bet my money is on Diaz.

Just to start, I am not a Diaz fanboy in any way. If anything, I’m more of a Lawler fan.

I believe Lawler has too many fight miles on him to be effective in stopping Nick’s pressure style.

As of recent, Lawler has looked somewhat gunshy and a bit too happy to sit against the cage and dodge punches without throwing back.

Not throwing back and only defending is a sign of fight miles and age catching up.

I believe Nick will be the fresher fighter on Saturday, considering he only has to deal with ring rust and age. He doesn’t have to deal with fight mileage at all, because he has always had somewhat lengthy layoffs in between fights, especially in his recent career.
I don't think you're right (although I hope Diaz gets a W), but I'll agree that gunshy-ness is a VERY BAD sign, and Robbie has definitely been comparatively gunshy the last couple years. That being said, Diaz has had the bloated eyes, slurred speech, and lilting stagger of an old sea dog who's emptied one too many rum puncheons.

Diaz is pretty much a lock unless Robbie shoots or do something like Condit did despite the vegas/club life and inactivity.

The fight will be a war until Nick's pressure starts to take over somewhere in the second round. Once that happens, the fight will turn into a beating. Lawler gets TKO'd in the 3rd or 4th round.

I think Nick will just stand there. Robbie will bob and weave from a comfortable distance. Nothing will happen, except maybe Nick will taunt Robbie for a bit and talk shit about him at the presser.

If you jinx this I'm gonna find your ass

No where near as many miles on Nick.
You are correct based upon simple facts
Lawler: 43 fights including 8 fights since Nate Diaz fought Anderson Silva in 2015
Nate Diaz: 35 fights including zero fights since 01-31-2015

Lawler at his best was better than Diaz at his best, but Lawler currently seems well past his prime. Lawler has lost 5 out of his last 6 fights. Nate is past his prime, but he might not have degraded as much given the lesser wear and tear over the last 6 years. Since we've not seen him fight in a long time, we really have no way of knowing his current fight abilities. If I was Robbie, I would attack the lead leg since Diaz isn't one to normally check kicks, use kicks to control distance (push, front and oblique), stick and move and over the top counters when Nick is coming forward while throwing jabs.

I think Robbie is past it. I'm just not sure what kind of Nick Diaz we are going to get since he's been out forever and is older now. I honestly have no clue what to expect, which makes this an exciting matchup.

Don't know how the fight will go but you think Nick doesn't have mileage you're crazy. He sounds terrible...CTE can get worse whether you fight or not.
It's all the weed too. I know people that talk like that just from being huge stoners for years.

I just wonder how inactivity will affect Nick. He's been out for over 6 years and has 3 fights in the last 9 years. Robbie has dropped 4 in a row, but he's had some tough style match ups along the way. This one is gonna be the perfect style match up so I don't anticipate gun shy Robbie. And I think this fight will motivate Robbie considering the history.

I got Robbie Lawler by TKO mid rounds.

Don't know how the fight will go but you think Nick doesn't have mileage you're crazy. He sounds terrible...CTE can get worse whether you fight or not.

I think people make way too much out of how Nick talks. He's always talked like that.

It has nothing to do with brain damage or CTE - it's anxiety. He's just very uncomfortable speaking into a microphone and dealing with the media. You can see the anxiety on his face saying he just wants to get away from the camera. He's probably a bit more calm and articulate in a relaxed setting around his friends and family

Back