Change My View: Nick Diaz will run through Lawler

All in on Diaz. 209 4 LIFE. Don't be scared homie.

It’s MMA anything can happen. No one thought Jorge would ko Ben Askren in 5 seconds. No thought Anderson Silva would break his leg. No one thought Chris Weidman would break his leg. As far as we Diaz could hit a flying knee bar and win

How anybody could possibly believe they KNOW how Nick will look is beyond me. If anything it’s Robbie that should be super motivated for this fight. I’m sure he wants to redeem that fight from a million years ago.

That sounds like a man I wouldn’t want to fuck with. Age, mileage, etc. but he has actually fought in the last few years. Nick’s absence is literally the longest one I’ve heard of. And it’s not like he was living a GSP type of lifestyle all this time. He’s partied pretty hard according to reports. I honestly don’t know what to expect from him. But, my actual expectations are pretty low. Maybe he’ll surprise me.

We just have no clue how Diaz will look, that being said style for style I believe your right. Robbie has been far to gunshy and looked a lot like woodley ever since woodley caught him lol. It will be a close first round and I think lawler will come motivated. Diaz pressure and volume will add up and I think he will eventually get a tko.

it’s all a guess though nobody knows how diaz will be with timing nor do they know what game plan he will bring. Having more tools also gives him a slight advantage ImO

It's a fun fight, but I do see Diaz winning. Robbie really is over the hill now, and Diaz's style just really works real well against Robbie's. I love Lawler and just hopes he puts on a good fight.

Nick has been on a pretty intense set of benders for years and years. He seems to have matured a lot and grown lately judging from the videos, but I just can't imagine that him at his age practicing predominantly BJJ is going to go well against Robbie, who has been very active and trying to modernize his style. My hunch is Diaz will be swept.

I do think Nick will win though I'm rooting for Lawler. It's a stylistic advantage type fight for Nick.

Lawler does well against wrestler brawlers (well he did in his prime). Pressure fighters are his weakness imo.

While Lawler has been more active, he's also taken more damage. He just looks very depleted (besides the Askren fight which was over 2 years ago).

I get the feeling Nick wouldn't return to fight Lawler unless he was very sure he can beat Lawler. Nick probably could have gotten an immediate titleshot, as I wouldn't put it past Usman/Ali to grant Nick a title shot based on name recognition.

Based on his last few fights, I can't possibly change your mind. Diaz will run through Lawler.

This fight should had been five rounds. First round going be them warming up, specially for Nick
What? It’s a 3 rounder?
Edit: just checked. It’s says it’s scheduled as a 5 round fight.

Lawler has like 3 times better footwork and defense since their fight. Also his attacks are quite a bit better.
He definately is shot at 39 with a lot of injuries.
Nick probably has most of his injuries healed by now. His skills shouldn't be nearly as sharp though.
He is 38 now though, probably has better cardio, but in a 3 round fight, Robbie probably doesn't take the usual round off.

Going with Lawler, by sharpening skills more

I think Nick takes it if he's anything like he was, but there are about 1000 unanswered questions about him. He could fall over like Liddell or Holyfield for all we know.

Lawler has like 3 times better footwork and defense since their fight. Also his attacks are quite a bit better.
He definately is shot at 39 with a lot of injuries.
Nick probably has most of his injuries healed by now. His skills shouldn't be nearly as sharp though.
He is 38 now though, probably has better cardio, but in a 3 round fight, Robbie probably doesn't take the usual round off.

Going with Lawler, by sharpening skills more

It's 5 rounds. Wondering how this changes your thoughts.

Nick is gonna look like shit and Lawler at this stage of his career is too passive to take advantage.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I think this fight is gonna suck.

I feel like Nick being kicked off of Nate’s camps and team is an indicator that Nick has lost some luster that he’s trying to get back, I’ve heard he’s had different drug problems, and he seemed whacked out of his head the last time we saw him interviewed (although he does seem better today) Perhaps sitting for so long (While watching Nate get huge fights) could have even made him less likely to train and the only reason he’s doing it now is that he’s reached a twilight. There’s no way he’s more physically capable NOW then he was as a younger man, he should be slower but maybe stronger, it’s been a long time.
Either way Robbie has been way more consistent. If Robbie were fighting Nate I think we would all pick Robbie but who really knows.

Ring rust is overrated.The only worry about being out of competition that long is actually over training and burning out in camp.

Obviously Nick would lose to most of the top WW's today because of his age and his style but he is fighting another old lion in Lawler who will happily stand and bang.

I got Nick in this one

Back