Chael Sonnen "Dont go through the torture of cutting weight"

Andrewwawa

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Says its not worth it at some point.

Pretty insane considering how gorilla sized the guy is

yeah my pops won a state champion in wrestling and cut from like 200 to 170, he said it was awful and should have never done it. thats why im kinda against people that cut major weight just to try to get a size advantage

yeah my pops won a state champion in wrestling and cut from like 200 to 170, he said it was awful and should have never done it. thats why im kinda against people that cut major weight just to try to get a size advantage

Im just saying its weird for chael of all people to say it. i guess he does it comfortably

I think he's saying that's why he moved up and why Pearson should as well. Probably didn't want to include that he wouldn't get another title shot at 185 for a while

Cutting weight sucks, but so does getting beaten up by a man who's 30lbs heavier than you. Very few people can compete when most are cutting a lot and they aren't- shows why someone like Edgar gets so much respect.

He is correct. More guys fighting at a weight that is right for them = better fights.

Im just saying its weird for chael of all people to say it. i guess he does it comfortably[/QUOTE

he looked bad at the weigh ins during the silva rematch

Vitor, henderson and Cheal cut alot of weight to make MW.

I would like to see Cheal vs Anderson at 205, Cheals real weight with no cut and both guys can make the weight.

The second fight with Anderson left a bad taste with all the hijinks of holding shorts to stop some of cheals takedowns.

Last edited:
In general I'm not a big fan of weight cutting. I realize it's a part of the sport but the guys who cut 20+ lbs of weight after their camp are crazy....and not really doing themselves any favors imo.

But even then, I get it when grapplers (especially wrestlers because they are used to it) make big weight cuts. But these strikers that cut big weight are really just killing themselves only to end up fighting guys that have quickness advantage on them.

Back