Chael Sonnen "Dont go through the torture of cutting weight"

cutting weight is just another dumb American mentality, nothing more.

Even without following the sport at all I can say with almost 100% certainty that every Olympic wrestler, except may some heavyweights, cut weight. It works and that's why people do it.

I really believe that weight cutting is overrated and a lot of people would do better to not cut.

This obviously isn't true for everyone but there are a lot of examples where people do better at heavier weight classes.

Think about it: if you don't cut, you are gauranteed to be fresher than your opponent, not just because you didn't cut the day before but because you didn't have to adhere to some scrict diet for months that has effected you mind and body even if only on an emotional level.

it also has to be good for your cardio to not cut; and even your mind (cause cutting can literally lower the amount of fluids in your brain temporarily and thus people say they feel really woozy and "dumb" when they cut weight)

Frankie Edgar at 155 and Dan Henerson at 205 are perfect examples of this. Especially dan because he is literally better at 205 than he is a 185. size be damned.

I really believe that weight cutting is overrated and a lot of people would do better to not cut.

This obviously isn't true for everyone but there are a lot of examples where people do better at heavier weight classes.

Think about it: if you don't cut, you are gauranteed to be fresher than your opponent, not just because you didn't cut the day before but because you didn't have to adhere to some scrict diet for months that has effected you mind and body even if only on an emotional level.

it also has to be good for your cardio to not cut; and even your mind (cause cutting can literally lower the amount of fluids in your brain temporarily and thus people say they feel really woozy and "dumb" when they cut weight)

Frankie Edgar at 155 and Dan Henerson at 205 are perfect examples of this. Especially dan because he is literally better at 205 than he is a 185. size be damned.

I amateur boxed for about 10 years and I found I was always much sharper during the week long tournaments because it was virtually impossible to cut anything. For individual fights I'd cut from 81kg to make the 75kg limit and I always hit lactic so much faster.

The only reason everyone cuts weight is because everyone cuts weight. It has nothing to do with the sport, or increase your skill at that sport in any meaningful way. People initially started doing it to gain a size advantage over others at first. Now that every idiot does it, the playing field is almost equal again...But what happens is that every idiot has now dehydrated themselves and puts their health at greater risk. So now instead of two 'natural' 170 pound athletes facing off, you have two 190 pound dehydrated retards facing off, with a greater risk of brain damage from KO. It started off as an american mentality and has spread worldwide. It's the exact same rationale as steroid use. 'Everyone else is doing it, so im at a disadvantage if i don't'. Give me same-day weighins, or give me death.

I agree. Its so hard to put it on in the first place, I'd hate myself if I had to cut a ton.

I agree with some of your points, but a guy like Bendo makes big cuts and has some of the best cardio in the division. I would really doubt that non-weight cutting Bendo at 170 will have nearly as much success at WW.

Some people can handle the weight cut and respond well to it. Those who are taking a big hit on their cardio or mentally can't handle it should not be cutting so much. The only things I hate about weight cutting is people bragging about how much they cut and people who cut so much to the point that it seems like they are desperate to just have a size advantage.

and people who cut so much to the point that it seems like they are desperate to just have a size advantage.

.....That's the whole point of weight cutting, dude. Why can't people accept that weightcutting is just dumb? Get everyone to fight at their natural weight and you'll have less idiots getting serious brain damage after getting ko'd while having a dehydrated spinal column.

.....That's the whole point of weight cutting, dude. Why can't people accept that weightcutting is just dumb?

What I meant is like a guy like Roop who is going down to BW (I have nothing against the guy he is fun to watch except when he's KTFO Korean Zombie). I know the point of cutting weight is to try and be bigger than the other guy, but in reality most fighters are just cutting weight because everyone else is so many times neither guy is much bigger than the other.

I never really understood the guys who cut 30+ lbs.

you have two guys cutting from 170 to make 155 and then fight each other. Don't know how much of a difference it would make if one guy cut from 178, other than 8 lbs

i'm a big sonnen fan, but man does he contradict himself with this weigh cutting mumbo jumbo, he claims weighting more is a "disadvantage" yet he cut the most absurd amount of weight I've personally every seen in the ufc, he looks really sick at 185 when he weighs in

Well I agree with Chael. In my opinion the weight in should be done at the day of the fight

Chael added a shit ton of muscle while on suspension. It made his weight cuts very difficult and it showed in his fights against Bisping and Anderson (not saying he would have won but he looked gassed after 5 minutes of doing what he did for 5 rounds in the first fight)

What I meant is like a guy like Roop who is going down to BW (I have nothing against the guy he is fun to watch except when he's KTFO Korean Zombie). I know the point of cutting weight is to try and be bigger than the other guy, but in reality most fighters are just cutting weight because everyone else is so many times neither guy is much bigger than the other.

Exactly. That leads back to the post i made on the previous page. When both guys do it, the playing field is back to level while both of them are damaging their health due to dehydration. It's retarded and makes no sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back