Chad Mendes isn't just a wrestler, he's arguably the best MMA wrestler ever

yookfarb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Long b4 he was a dynamic knockout artist, the guy was a 'blue chip' prospect who placed 2nd in the nation for wrestling that immediately transitioned to MMA out of college with Team Alpha Male. Among the fans who actually watched his fights in the WEC, he was one of the most boring blankets in MMA.

Did Mendes even ever hit Cub on the ground?
I can't really recall anything.
i think there were two to three strikes on the ground he landed. but basically he won the fight based on takedowns and control.
I think he might've tried a quarter inch elbow in round two when team Alpha Male coaches yelled "Give him everything you have! Unleash the beast!"
mendes by holding him down n watchin the 5 mins run out of each round
God I really hope javier can save us from chad's boring ass.

Really don't want to see mendez on a ufc main card. Dude is the most boring guy in the WEC.
In a thread today someone brought up how besides Silva we finally have "class-act" champions. This got me wondering what the "best" and "worst" set of champions would be. For example (IMO) the classiest set of belt holders would be this:

HW: Nog
LHW: Shogun
MW: Maia
WW: GSP
LW: Edgar
FW: Aldo
BW: Johnson

And the douchiest (again, IMO) set of champions would be this:

HW: Mir
LHW: Tito
MW: Bisping
WW: Kos
LW: Penn
FW: Mendes
BW: Torres

This is just little thread so feel free to post your own lists for these or any other categories you can think of.
Best

HW: Nog
LHW: Rampage
MW: Silva
WW: GSP
LW: Penn
FW: Aldo
BW: Faber

Worst

HW: Roy Nelson
LHW: Bader
MW: Nate
WW: Kos
LW: Maynard
FW: Mendes
BW: Bowles

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/did-mendes-even-ever-hit-cub-ground-1321865/index2.html
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...mendes-wec-52-who-you-got-1423369/index3.html
http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/best-worst-possible-champions-1446911/

His lay and pray days are for the most part behind him with the leaps and bounds he has made with his striking, both from distanced and on the ground. But one thing has changed, and that's the fact that's never been taken down once. Not by Aldo, Lamas, Clay Guida, Darren Elkins, BJJ World champion Rani Yahya, or Cody fucking McKenzie. In fact, unless you grab the fence, Chad Mendes is guaranteed to take you down if he doesn't knock you out, win or lose.

And it hasn't even been that long since he made Nik Lentz look like Bas Rutten...The effortlessness of his double leg takedown and his complete helplessness to do any damage on the ground with very Kevin Randleman like.

So for Conor to be able to stuff a few of his takedowns, scramble back up to his feet, and threaten Chad off his back imo is pretty substantial proof that it's going to take a lot more than just some random college wrestler with a couple years of "MMA training" to dethrone Conor.

McGregor's wrestling clearly was not and will never be as good as Chads, but I would say the same thing about Aldo and Frankie. Just like Conor, they are capable of beating a superior wrestler in Chad, but it's because they offer more to the table such as bouncy agile feet and ultramarathon cardio, or vicious Muay Thai and a super legit BJJ black belt.

Conor has definitely answered the wrestling question. Great wrestling might still be his biggest weakness, but if that's all he has to deal with, he has the tools to overcome.

Gsp is, and im not sure thats arguable

Not sure if you are serious but no.

GSP was/is the best MMA wrestler ever. Mendes has developed into a great fighter but far from being the best ever in anything including wrestling

GSP is the greatest. Frankie is the greatest currently IMO. His dexterity and ease taking down people like Bendo who is now at welterweight is amazing. He also got Aldo down a few times which Mendes couldn't in 6 rounds I don't think.

he's definetely top 5. i'd have weidman ranked above him. without stat checking i cant remember him ever being taken down and if he takes you down it's pretty much a death sentence. gsp and jones deserve mention. i think what happened between chad & conor has shown that standing with conor is an epic bad idea & wrestling at it's highest levels might not be enough. imo, its frankie not aldo that holds all the answers

GSP is the king of MMA wrestling his style is really overwhelming

I give Conor props for Beating Chad, but he didn't look all that impressive. The rematch will look different. I can't say who would win, but it definitely would be worth watching. Conor has a few holes in his game, obviously.

image.jpg

Uuugh, the "wrestler question" never stops getting tiresome. He didn't answer any questions. He won an MMA fight.

I don't even like GSP but hes pretty undeniably the best mma wrestler.

Came here to say GSP, the only person who could chain taked owns like he did.

Also Chael is an underrated MMA wrestler ITT.

Chad who makes excuses over losing fight on 2 weeks notice

He's the elite of the elite but I don't really see an argument for him as #1. Also Jones is being terribly overlooked ITT.

Back