Catholicism is not Christianity

also, when Pope Frank says "church" he's not referring to The Roman Catholic Church, or even a specific or generic building, he's referring to the assembly of believers.

its a stupid argument to try and differentiate your body of believers from a nearly exact belief system, and certainly not very Christian to cast judgement on them.

Too troll-like kid. Maybe next time. Although it didn't take long for the more 'intelligent' group to turn a doctrinal debate into a gutter conversation about child abuse. You are a 3rd sting atheist kid with nothing to add.

Seems to be a pretty doctrinal part of your church if we go by the numbers + the cover ups of high ranking officials. So I'll ask again, mind showing me some verses?

Though I agree for the most part, you should see the extravagance of modern evangelicals. Joel Osteens empire is like his own private Vatican, and his flock truly believe his word is divine.

Yeah his church is a part of the whole Charismatic movement. Its not based on true scripture. They focus on physical healing, miracles done by preachers, magic, magnetic personalities etc. You see these guys placing their hands upon members of the audience, and they go into seizures and faint lol. Basically a ploy to get inside your wallet

Lol ok so Catholics don't idol worship now? The Pope is not the Vicar of Christ? They don't worship statues of Mary now? You don't ask saints to pray for you. Again the fundamental basis of Christianity is that YOU have a direct relationship with God, there is not in between. The Pastor's duty is to preach the word of God to Christians. But he is not revered in any way shape or form. When you revere man, you get things like Crusades. Man is imperfect.

But anyway lets take a look at Mary. Praying directly to Mary or Mary idols to get to Jesus is not Christian. Every man has a direct link to Jesus Christ. As to if Mary is worshiped or not:

There is only one God, and you are to serve no other gods (Exodus 20:3).

Now this is directly from the Vatican Council II texts. Stating basically that Mary is the subject of Worship.

vatican2scansmaryworship1.jpg
vatican2scansmaryworship4.jpg

Good old iconoclasm, you should be joining ISIS to destroy places of false worship.

LOL at protestants calling catholics evil.

Well, the Catholic Church has been around a lot longer, has more followers and a damn sight more money than the Protestant churches. It's not that Protestants aren't capable of doing bad shit. It's just that Holy Mother Church did it bigger, better and first.:icon_twis

That said, the idea that the average Catholic is not a "true" Christian is ridiculous. They believe in and worship God. They believe Christ died to redeem mankind. If that doesn't make them Christian, I don't know what does. :rolleyes:

How about high ranking "people of faith" covering up numerous cases of pedophilia in the Catholic church? Mind directing me to some scripture verses, skambolis?

This has nothing to do with the OP.
Yes, the way the Carholic Church has been run is condemnable, but that is a argument of the flawed people within the organization, not the theological differences described in the op.

Seems to be a pretty doctrinal part of your church if we go by the numbers + the cover ups of high ranking officials. So I'll ask again, mind showing me some verses?

There is no abuse in protestant churches? The catholic church at least comes forward and accepts its failings, protestants just change the name of the church and wash their hands of their wrongdoings.

also, when Pope Frank says "church" he's not referring to The Roman Catholic Church, or even a specific or generic building, he's referring to the assembly of believers.

He is saying a Christian without a church is not possible. Which once again, is incorrect. You don't need any church to be a Christian. Just your own faith

its a stupid argument to try and differentiate your body of believers from a nearly exact belief system, and certainly not very Christian to cast judgement on them.

They are fundamentally different, and no where did I state that I am a Christian.

Oh look, a thread about who's imaginary friend loves them more !

Like most people in Ireland, I was raised Catholic but I'm an atheist. Take it from me, Catholicism doesn't seem any stranger or idiotic than all the other fairy tales espoused by the other different religions.

Holy fuck protestants are still upset about catholicism?

What is this the thirty years war?

There is no abuse in protestant churches? The catholic church at least comes forward and accepts its failings, protestants just change the name of the church and wash their hands of their wrongdoings.

Only coming forward after it's blatant what's going on. You're talking as if the Catholic church didn't attempt to cover up the scandals.

Well, the Catholic Church has been around a lot longer, has more followers and a damn sight more money than the Protestant churches. It's not that Protestants aren't capable of doing bad shit. It's just that Holy Mother Church did it bigger, better and first.:icon_twis

The inquisition killed around 3000 out of hundreds of thousands of trials, the inquisition were not kangaroo courts, they were at the top of the time in terms of legal procedure. With professional lawyers and judges

Protestants killed tens of thousands in witch trials, none of which was a witch and which were carried by mob rule.

Calvinism gave rise to racial supremacism, it also gave rise to the church of Jeezus where the rich are righteous and the poor are sinners.

No they are different. You don't even need to go to church as a Christian, or do any acts or rituals. Its faith based, not deed based.

I won't debate the crux of your argument, although I think it's a bit too black-and-white.

However, I don't interpret Pope Francis' quote in the same way that you do. I think he's alluding to the fact that Christianity is, at its core, a communal religion. It was formed in lower class communities and was a binding community and social organizing force for an oppressed portion of humanity and the fundamental doctrines of Christianity promote a relationship with God as a human species over a relationship as an individual, as is more common nowadays.

I in fact do think that Christianity is best understood through community, but that religious communities in the US have become so incredibly separate from the growth of secular society that it's very difficult, if not often impossible, for more scrupulous Christians to find a denominational home.

This

Yes, the way the Carholic Church has been run is condemnable, but that is a argument of the flawed people within the organization, not the theological differences described in the op.
And THIS

Of course nobody is defending abuse or cover-ups and i would see Diplomatic Immunity removed even for the Pope and anyone involved in a cover-up to be tried as an accessory-after-the-fact. I simply wasn't going to feed someone trolling. But good posts.

Point taken, just wanted to rustle skombolis a little bit. But he said he'll prove wrong every example of how Catholicism deviates from the bible. Since Catholicism is pretty much based upon the Catholic church, or at least it's an enormous part of your average Catholic's life and faith, I'd say how it's run and its practices are in direct relationship to the religion.

Oh look, a thread about who's imaginary friend loves them more !

Like most people in Ireland, I was raised Catholic but I'm an atheist. Take it from me, Catholicism doesn't seem any stranger or idiotic than all the other fairy tales espoused by the other different religions.

My, you're virtuous.

Shedding those silly fairy tales sure did show how intellectually independent you are.

The Orthodox Church begs to differ. They're just as old or even older, depending on who you consider to have split off from whom.

Who commissioned the first Bible?

But that really wasn't the point. Simply that why denominations coming after Catholicism would want to have some sort of inter-faith battle between denominations makes zero sense to me. You generally see this the most from people who left the Catholic church and now believe no matter how they live their life they are saved. For some reason is causes a defensiveness where they lash out at their former belief system. I have never spent one minute of my life looking to find a Protestant to initiate an argument over what he believes. Or with anyone of any faith for that matter, don't step on my toes and we don't have a problem, but that is just me.

Back