Catholicism is not Christianity

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I just wanted to clear some things up here for people not familiar with true Christianity (Protestant, Baptist, Calvinist). I am not a part of any religion by the way, so I have no real horse in this race.

In Muslim threads on this board, posters will often defend Islam by saying things like:

"Well what about the Christian inquisition and torture of heretics?"
"Well what about the mass murder the Christians caused during the crusades" or
"What about the Christian Conquistadors that conquered and subjugated indigenous peoples"

These acts were done by Catholics, not Christians. Catholics are and have been basically under a governing body, and commit acts "in the name of God" by order of the Pope. Which is why the Church can order things like the crusades, or the inquisition. Christians believe only God is infallible, and a man's relationship with God is private. A man doesn't need to confess to a priest his sins. A man doesn't look up to, worship, or take orders from anyone, other than God. This is the fundamental difference between the two religions, and is the main reason why Catholicism is not Christianity.

For an example of what I am talking about, here is a quote from Pope Francis from a Vatican website:

"A Christian without a church is something purely idealistic, it is not real".
"you cannot understand a Christian outside of the people of God. The Christian is not a nomad, but "belongs to a people: the Church. A Christian without a church is something purely idealistic, it is not real".
"But you cannot understand a Christian alone, just like you cannot understand Jesus Christ alone."
http://www.news.va/en/news/pope-at-mass-we-are-not-christian-without-the-chur

Basically stating that the Church is the governing body for all Christians, which is of course, incorrect if you call yourself a Christian. There are countless other examples of how the two faiths differ, but nobody got time for all of that in the OP.

Last edited:
Good post. I've always thought this but never felt like spending the time to point it out and like you said nobody has time for the countless differences. My father was raised Catholic but left for a purely Christian Church. There is definitely a difference.

Same shit different name. Essentially they're the same, take money from gullible church goers - promise them the way to salvation.

Catholic is a denomination of Christianity. Protesants for some reason spend a lot of time spreadign misinformation based mostly on lack of research or actual biblical knowledge to claim Catholics violate this or that of teachings. Yes some Catholics take what the Pope has to say seriously. They believe he, like priests, have answered a higher calling. And for the pope, a calling even more special than by priests. But their beliefs are based on the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I really doubt i will waste the time unless I get particularly motivated but i promise I can refute any claim for why Catholics aren't Christians. There would be no Christians if it wasn't for Catholics and if someone doesn't understand the difference between the sects and denomination they really shouldn't really just go based off of what they have heard. Because 95% of it is the same information regurgitated and not from any personal study. All that will happen is you will discover the information being passed around was wrong. And to what end does someone within Christianity try to get denominations at each other's throat?

And 'church' stands for the body of believers

Same shit different name. Essentially they're the same, take money from gullible church goers - promise them the way to salvation.

No they are different. You don't even need to go to church as a Christian, or do any acts or rituals. Its faith based, not deed based.

No they are different. You don't even need to go to church as a Christian, or do any acts or rituals. Its faith based, not deed based.

Yet if you go to the south of the US, there's probably as many churches as there are fast food places. Which is a ridiculous amount.

Good post. I've always thought this but never felt like spending the time to point it out and like you said nobody has time for the countless differences. My father was raised Catholic but left for a purely Christian Church. There is definitely a difference.

Yes There are countless differences, and also countless examples of how Catholicism deviates from the bible. Which is fine I guess, but there needs to some distinction between the two.

Matthew 16:18
"I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.

Yes There are countless differences, and also countless examples of how Catholicism deviates from the bible. Which is fine I guess, but there needs to some distinction between the two.

Name them. I promise i will show you every single one is wrong. And to get you started, know what an idol is and whether it has to do with things in Heaven and also if it means things being worshiped as a god not simply having statues, know who else was referred to as father (like Abraham) and what that verse means between God the Father and father as in priest if you are using 'call no man father', and know Catholics are asking Mary to pray for them, they are not praying to Mary. They also asks saints to pry for them, just as we ask people to pray for us, it is called intercession and is completely biblical. If you didn't know this, it should probably give you an idea of where you stand.

Last edited:
LOL at protestants calling catholics evil.

Name them. I promise i will show you every single one is wrong. And to get you started, know what an idol is and whether it has to do with things in Heaven and also if it means things being worshiped as a god not simply having statues, know who else was referred to as father (like Abraham) and what that verse means between God the Father and father as in priest if you are using 'call no man father', and know Catholics are asking Mary to pray for them, they are not praying to Mary. They also asks saints to pry for them, just as we ask people to pray for us, it is called intercession and is completely biblical. If you didn't know this, it should probably give you an idea of where you stand.

Here's one I'm curious about. Does institutionalized pedophilia have basis in scripture?

Here's one I'm curious about. Does institutionalized pedophilia have basis in scripture?
Too troll-like kid. Maybe next time. Although it didn't take long for the more 'intelligent' group to turn a doctrinal debate into a gutter conversation about child abuse. You are a 3rd sting atheist kid with nothing to add.

Though I agree for the most part, you should see the extravagance of modern evangelicals. Joel Osteens empire is like his own private Vatican, and his flock truly believe his word is divine.

Name them. I promise i will show you every single one is wrong. And to get you started, know what an idol is and whether it has to do with things in Heaven, know who else was referred to as father (like Abraham) and what that verse means between God the Father and father as in priest, and know Catholics are asking Mary to pray for them, they are not praying to Mary. They also asks saints to pry for them, just as we ask people to pray for us, it is called intercession and is completely biblical. If you didn't know this you should probably get an idea of where you stand.

Lol ok so Catholics don't idol worship now? The Pope is not the Vicar of Christ? They don't worship statues of Mary now? You don't ask saints to pray for you. Again the fundamental basis of Christianity is that YOU have a direct relationship with God, there is not in between. The Pastor's duty is to preach the word of God to Christians. But he is not revered in any way shape or form. When you revere man, you get things like Crusades. Man is imperfect.

But anyway lets take a look at Mary. Praying directly to Mary or Mary idols to get to Jesus is not Christian. Every man has a direct link to Jesus Christ. As to if Mary is worshiped or not:

There is only one God, and you are to serve no other gods (Exodus 20:3).

Now this is directly from the Vatican Council II texts. Stating basically that Mary is the subject of Worship.

vatican2scansmaryworship1.jpg
vatican2scansmaryworship4.jpg

There would be no Christians if it wasn't for Catholics and if someone doesn't understand the difference between the sects and denomination they really shouldn't really just go based off of what they have heard.

The Orthodox Church begs to differ. They're just as old or even older, depending on who you consider to have split off from whom.

How about high ranking "people of faith" covering up numerous cases of pedophilia in the Catholic church? Mind directing me to some scripture verses, skambolis?

Jesus sanctioned anybody to act in his name. The Pope is wrong on this one:

38 “Teacher,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us.”

39 “Do not stop him,” Jesus said. “For no one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me,
40 for whoever is not against us is for us.
41 Truly I tell you, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to the Messiah will certainly not lose their reward.

Back