Catch Wrestling United

Yeah but when you quote calling him "over the top" and accuse of him going after Jake Shannon of Scientific Wrestling without any evidence that can be construed as an accusation not criticism!

So there is the example of what you said accusing Jon of doing without backing it up with facts!
That said, if I misrepresented his thoughts on the matter or his stance, well, okay. That wasn't my intention. I read his posts and that was my honest take away. That certain people thought of as catch-wrestlers were in fact not catch-wrestlers, that chokes meant it wasn't legit catch, that Combat Wrestling was nothing like catch-wrestling, etc. Maybe I got it wrong.

That said, if I misrepresented his thoughts on the matter or his stance, well, okay. That wasn't my intention. I read his posts and that was my honest take away. That certain people thought of as catch-wrestlers were in fact not catch-wrestlers, that chokes meant it wasn't legit catch, that Combat Wrestling was nothing like catch-wrestling, etc. Maybe I got it wrong.

Show me the actual evidence honestly chokes were always barred In Catch Wrestling. As this is in Wrestling manuals I've got ones going back to 1891 the Badminton Library book, even in the original British All In Wrestling rules Chokes were barred!

And if you wanna talk about slander I've got screenshots of people trashing Roy Wood from Jakes organisation! And Jake himself according to Roy Woods daughter Andrea who i know very well!

Told me Jake accused Roy have never meeting Karl Gotch! Never having trained or met him, Andrea showed me a picture of all the old Rileys wrestlers together at a re-union!

Roy Wood is in my IMO the best Catch Wrestling coach alive right now, Billy Robinson I have the utmost respect for maybhe RIP! But he's gone and that only leaves Roy Wood alive the only one of Rileys wrestlers left!

Show me the actual evidence honestly chokes were always barred In Catch Wrestling. As this is in Wrestling manuals I've got ones going back to 1891 the Badminton Library book, even in the original British All In Wrestling rules Chokes were barred!

And if you wanna talk about slander I've got screenshots of people trashing Roy Wood from Jakes organisation! And Jake himself according to Roy Woods daughter Andrea who i know very well!

Told me Jake accused Roy have never meeting Karl Gotch! Never having trained or met him, Andrea showed me a picture of all the old Rileys wrestlers together at a re-union!

Roy Wood is in my IMO the best Catch Wrestling coach alive right now, Billy Robinson I have the utmost respect for maybhe RIP! But he's gone and that only leaves Roy Wood alive the only one of Rileys wrestlers left!
Evan "The Strangler" Lewis certainly choked people in his matches. Farmer Burns lost by choke, which is why he built his neck up so much. Tom Jenkins choked people as well and used a jaw lock once strangles were popularly barred.

But certainly, there's no disputing that there was an era where chokes were often barred. But the question is whether or not a competition is therefore not catch-wrestling because it involves chokes. And I'd say no. But that's fine with me if you disagree. I certainly would ever dispute Roy Woods' expertise as a coach or practitioner or the coaching expertise of John Strickland for that matter.

I disagree with the idea that Combat Wrestling has no connection or similarity to catch-wrestling and that the presence of chokes renders a competition an inauthentic version of catch-wrestling. I think a lot of people have redefined catch-wrestling too narrowly recently, but expressing that disagreement is not slanderous or libelous.

Evan "The Strangler" Lewis certainly choked people in his matches. Farmer Burns lost by choke, which is why he built his neck up so much. Tom Jenkins choked people as well and used a jaw lock once strangles were popularly barred.

But certainly, there's no disputing that there was an era where chokes were often barred. But the question is whether or not a competition is therefore not catch-wrestling because it involves chokes. And I'd say no. But that's fine with me if you disagree. I certainly would ever dispute Roy Woods' expertise as a coach or practitioner or the coaching expertise of John Strickland for that matter.

I disagree with the idea that Combat Wrestling has no connection or similarity to catch-wrestling and that the presence of chokes renders a competition an inauthentic version of catch-wrestling. I think a lot of people have redefined catch-wrestling too narrowly recently, but expressing that disagreement is not slanderous or libelous.

Show me one match footage from early 1900s where a person has won via strangle hold and I'll believe you! And not pro wrestling please as I myself know that it's a pre-determind outcome!

And also you really need to listen to what Earl Caddock said when he was the US army wrestling instructor! He said that most of the people that used chokes were "green" which means they were noobs. I know that's not the case in the modern era now, but back then this was the narrative in Catch Wrestling competition!

And before 1900s Catch Wrestling didn't have submissions anyway, it was the Japanese who introduced it to Western Wrestling! But many of the wrestlers figured out different variations of how to do these submission holds. And did their own applications of leverage to make the holds that they all ready had such as Nelson holds, hammerlocks, neck cranks etc.

I've also got access to newspaper archives and the benefit of being friends with the world's best wrestling researcher!

John seems like a good guy,, spent a few years learning and training up to coach in CSW with Erik Paulson, and now an assistant coach under Billy Robinson. Formed Snake Pit USA last year, and while not an official affiliation to Snake Pit in Wigan, they had Roy and Andrea Wood's blessing to use the name.
Um, that's BS by the way KJ Gould How do I know this I asked them and they said they never did!

Show me one match footage from early 1900s where a person has won via strangle hold and I'll believe you! And not pro wrestling please as I myself know that it's a pre-determind outcome!
Footage...? Footage is hard to come by; but look at newspaper accounts of the matches of Evan Lewis, for one example. He competed before 1900; he certainly choked people and indeed, submitted people as well. Farmer Burns, as I mentioned, was famously choked out, I think it was actually by Tom Jenkins if I recall correctly. Either way, Tom Jenkins also has wins by strangle.

Lewis's leglock and choke wins over Matsuda Sorakichi are famous; Lewis's debut was in 1882, his career and all his famous submission wins occurred prior to 1900. Evan Lewis's career is just a fact of history.

Three new Catch Wrestling instructional videos from BJJ Fanatics!

-The Head and Arm Ride, so you can learn to crush and submit like I did to win the Metamoris world title.

-The Achilles lock, the first and steadfast leglock of Catch Wrestling.

-The toe hold, perhaps the leg lock most associated with Catch as Catch Can. Find them everywhere!
You can order them through the link below and use code APP2021 to get 50% off!

[Order Them Here]

FEB91JQVUAIRNoA.jpeg FEB91ZfVkAAqqzM.jpeg FEB902_VcAEZrxU.jpeg

Three new Catch Wrestling instructional videos from BJJ Fanatics!

-The Head and Arm Ride, so you can learn to crush and submit like I did to win the Metamoris world title.

-The Achilles lock, the first and steadfast leglock of Catch Wrestling.

-The toe hold, perhaps the leg lock most associated with Catch as Catch Can. Find them everywhere!
You can order them through the link below and use code APP2021 to get 50% off!

[Order Them Here]

View attachment 890942 View attachment 890943 View attachment 890944
Love your stuff Josh ❤ Much respect from across the pond!

What a great video! Thanks for posting it. As far as Gotch and Thesz; apparently they did shoot on each other to some extent. Thesz went for his back-drop in a match with Gotch, Gotch blocked it, broke Thesz's ribs and Thesz put him in a double wrist-lock. Thesz was apparently injured for a while afterwards, if I recall correctly. I think he even said it was one of the worst periods of his life recovering from it. Of course, between the two legends they both have very loyal partisans and there's many different things said about the incident. But that's the basic outline.

[Results from today's ACWA Catch Wrestling Tournament.]

We had a good turnout and great enthusiasm out on the mats today.

Best rashguard award goes to Jonathan Jimenez with the Iron Maiden "Number of the Beast" album cover. Best shoes was Harold Arnold with his clean red Asics.

Thank you all for coming out to compete!

Results by weight pools:

93-132
1st - Jacob Belhumeur (Gracie JJ Whittier)
2nd - Mia Delgado (UWFxUSA)
3rd - Jonathan Villafane (Nam Phan MMA)

142-145
1st - Cody Davis (CMMA)
2nd - Jonathan Jimenez (Catch Wrestling Alliance)
3rd - Sammy Caceres (CMMA)

151-153
1st - Musa Toliver (Nam Phan MMA)
2nd - Victor Henry (UWFxUSA)
3rd - Johnny Robles (UWFxUSA)

159.9-165
1st - Brandon Aviles (UWFxUSA)
2nd - George Alpizar (The Training Mat/Scientific Wrestling)
3rd - Cristian Alvarado (Nam Phan MMA)

166-172lbs
1st - Rastko Stojsic (CMMA)
2nd - Weber Almeida (CMMA)
3rd - Jeremy Sparks (Renzo Gracie LA)

177-185lbs
1st - Mario Lopez (10th Planet HQ)
2nd - Diego Perez (CMMA)
3rd - Rizwan Shaikh (Valhalla JJ)

189-197lbs
1st - Luis Moreno (Black House MMA)
2nd - Kenneth Quach (UFC Gym Huntington Beach)
3rd - Joshua Squires (Russ Miura JJ)

Heavyweight
1st - Luis Schwenke (CMMA)
2nd - Jonathan Pel - (UFC Gym Huntington Beach)
3rd - Mario Ramirez - (The Training Mat/Scientific Wrestling)

Last edited:
Josh Barnetts top student Victor Henry won his UFC debut a couple of days ago. It wasn't much grappling involved but I'm sure we will se more of it in his future bouts. Finally another catch wrestlers reached the UFC.

Well it's been a while since it happend but Qwentin Rosenzweig got dethroned in his 2nd title defence. His opponent was John Combs who got a background in both wrestling and BJJ. Qwentin tried the same tactics he used against Curran Jacobs but it didn't work this time. Unlike Jacobs, Combs knew enough BJJ to survive the submissions and pass the guard to pin Qwentin within a few minutes.

Well it's been a while since it happend but Qwentin Rosenzweig got dethroned in his 2nd title defence. His opponent was John Combs who got a background in both wrestling and BJJ. Qwentin tried the same tactics he used against Curran Jacobs but it didn't work this time. Unlike Jacobs, Combs knew enough BJJ to survive the submissions and pass the guard to pin Qwentin within a few minutes.

Was the match recorded anywhere?

Get help Robbie.
Mate
Get help Robbie.
Bro, why would I need help? If you're referring to the fact I have mental health problems or that I'm Autistic I'm perfectly stable mentally!

It's quite clearly by how the fact you're hiding who you are, that you're the one who needs help! Also the fact you're not willing to say anything to my face in real life because you're just another key board warrior!

Go back to your sad little life whoever you are! Also the same to Gregg who's going round telling people I stole his books when I've got receipts for the books I sent back to him!

The same books he lent me, which he has back!

It's quite clearly by how the fact you're hiding who you are, that you're the one who needs help! Also the fact you're not willing to say anything to my face in real life because you're just another key board warrior!

Go back to your sad little life whoever you are! Also the same to Gregg who's going round telling people I stole his books when I've got receipts for the books I sent back to him!

Yea, as I said earlier I enjoy being anonymous. If we meet in person I would definitely tell you, but I have no interest in meeting you in person, the only person you need to see is a doctor.

And my life is fine, unlike you I'm not banned from anywhere and can practice catch wrestling at the snake pit. You are the one stuck online.

Back