Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Understood.
The person your thinking of is Tony C? I think I remember seeing what your talking about on his Lost Art of Hooking series. I've never been able to get anyone but a newer person to submit to it. But I have been able to use it as a delaying tactic or something to get them to move some. This helps me escape the position. But once the choke is sunk, it's pretty much all over for me.

Exactly. You and everyone else with two carotids. :)

Also the rules for Combat Wrestling, one point for taking the back means having the back but you don't have to have both hooks in.

I'm still not really sure what to think about Catch Wrestling as a viable grappling art or some of it's teachers like Boyd Ritchie or whatever that guy's name is who made the outrageous claim that he lets top level guys put him in RNC's all the time and not only can they not finish but he actually ends up submitting them but these rules are hands down superior to most BJJ tournament's.

I've never even understood why the Guard is so important in BJJ yet you don't get any points for reguarding in a bjj tournament. It seems very counter intuitive that the only way to score points from the bottom is to sweep, yet there is so much emphasis on the guard.

I've never even understood why the Guard is so important in BJJ yet you don't get any points for reguarding in a bjj tournament. It seems very counter intuitive that the only way to score points from the bottom is to sweep, yet there is so much emphasis on the guard.

The guard or fighting from the bottom in general is what separates BJJ as a grappling art but negative points should be given for pulling guard imo. I always thought the guard was a worst case scenario position that smaller guys (the guys BJJ was supposedly developed for) would often find themselves in. If someone takes me down, okay then I can work my guard for sweeps or submissions but I should never be intentionally putting myself there. On the other hand, it's a grappling tournament and not a street fight so whatever.

Pulling guard and buttscooting are probably the two biggest crutches to BJJ today.

The guard or fighting from the bottom in general is what separates BJJ as a grappling art but negative points should be given for pulling guard imo. I always thought the guard was a worst case scenario position that smaller guys (the guys BJJ was supposedly developed for) would often find themselves in. If someone takes me down, okay then I can work my guard for sweeps or submissions but I should never be intentionally putting myself there. On the other hand, it's a grappling tournament and not a street fight so whatever.

Aren't negative points awarded for pulling guard? I remember seeing a classic BJJ comp with those rules.

Buttscooting is just points play imo. Anyone who does it is basically saying "I don't want to give you points for taking me down and don't have confidence I can finish you negating any points you may have scored".

The rules vary. I thought the common one was that you had to touch your opponent before pulling guard. I'm not a big fan of butt scooting but what a wrestler can do is to keep taking the guy down and then getting back up. Strategy wise, it makes sense for the guy that is bad at take downs to stay down. But takedowns are a essential part of grappling, otherwise the matches wouldnt be starting on the feet. Thats why it's important to spend as much time on them as other parts.

I'm going to the Billy Robinson seminar tomorrow in NJ! I'm psyched !!!
Anyone else here going?

The seminar went good. There was a lot of work on "from your feet" technique which was a lot different then typical wrestling. It was hard for me because I'm used to folkstyle, but it was good overall. Some famous words were "let me borrow a arm".

Great stuff. How'd your son find it?

My son liked it. It was different for him too. There is a lot of pivoting. As Billy said, a lot of the moves are the same, just the setups are different.

There was some question and answer at the end. I think it's impossible to stump Billy. I dont think you can show any positional situation that he doesnt have a answer too.

The gym it took place at (Modern Martial Arts) was a good place. The owner John is a nice guy. He said he has seminars with Erik Paulson or Billy about 2 times a year. John did a lot of the demonstration for Billy. If I lived in the area, I certainly would train there.

John Potenza (spelling?) Yeah he seems quite a catch enthusiast from what I've read.

John Potenza (spelling?) Yeah he seems quite a catch enthusiast from what I've read.

Yeah he seems knowledgeable. Not that I'm big into levels/rank/belts but, he's level 2 under Scientific Wrestling (Jake Shannon) and he is also under Erik Paulson. I just wish it wasnt a 5 hour drive for me....

Screw rank and belts, it's just a trick to get people to stick around or feel better about themselves. Not that there isn't anything rong with that, but you don't need it per se.

Anyone ever been to Jake Shannon's "toe hold" club? Supposedly, he has one here in Venice, CA, but I can't seem to get any info on it.

Your help & time is greatly appreciated,
- Rene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back