Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
War Mega Megu! Take a limb home tonight against Frausto!

Hi :)

MEGUUUUUUUUUUUMIIIIIIIIIII FUJIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

MF1.jpg

080912_sb_05.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently robbery is legal in Hollywood Florida.

I've not seen it (no Bellator in UK), but it sounds like a combination of bad judging and a bad strategy / going against strategy.

Um.... I'm sorry but, what exactly is catch wrestling???

Um.... I'm sorry but, what exactly is catch wrestling???

Gomi fan :icon_neut

I am confused as hell as that name is synonymous with Combat Wrestling which is a derivative of catch.

Welcome aboard!

The Catch Wrestling world lost another one of its greats Sunday night. Rip Eduard Wiez Carpentier. You are missed already. We will try to pass on what we learned. He was a great gentleman, teacher and human being. One of the last true champions of real wrestling. Au Revoir and Bonne Chance Maestro.

If combat wrestling would have caught on instead of BJJ, I can guarantee you people on the forums wouldn't be debating wrestling so much.

The Catch Wrestling world lost another one of its greats Sunday night. Rip Eduard Wiez Carpentier. You are missed already. We will try to pass on what we learned. He was a great gentleman, teacher and human being. One of the last true champions of real wrestling. Au Revoir and Bonne Chance Maestro.

Yeah I read this morning on Kris' facebook. :icon_cry2

We've a little on him here at cageside Legendary "Flying Frenchman" Edouard Carpentier passes away at 84 years old - Cageside Seats

And Slam! Wrestling has an obituary up already that's worth a read.
CANOE -- SLAM! Sports - Wrestling - Edouard Carpentier dead at 84

Anyone going to the Catch Wrestling seminar starring Billy Robinson this coming weekend in New Jersey? I might be going with my son and I didnt know if anyone else is going.

found this from 1999 and thought it was really interesting. Combat Wrestling

Especially the point system:

* 4 points for a perfect throw
* 3 points for a near perfect throw
* 2 points for a takedown
* 2 points for the top mount
* 1 point for the guard
* 1 point for mounting the opponent's back
* 1 point for a catch (attempting a submission)
* Pinning:
o 10sec - 19sec: 1 point
o 20sec - 29sec: 3 points
o 30sec and above: 4 points

Points play an integral role to the evolution of a sport. More points for a throw/takedown means more emphasis is placed on it. Giving a point for attempting a sub also means you would be more likely to attempt it.

Thoughts?

found this from 1999 and thought it was really interesting. Combat Wrestling

Especially the point system:

* 4 points for a perfect throw
* 3 points for a near perfect throw
* 2 points for a takedown
* 2 points for the top mount
* 1 point for the guard
* 1 point for mounting the opponent's back
* 1 point for a catch (attempting a submission)
* Pinning:
o 10sec - 19sec: 1 point
o 20sec - 29sec: 3 points
o 30sec and above: 4 points

Points play an integral role to the evolution of a sport. More points for a throw/takedown means more emphasis is placed on it. Giving a point for attempting a sub also means you would be more likely to attempt it.

Thoughts?

I'm still not really sure what to think about Catch Wrestling as a viable grappling art or some of it's teachers like Boyd Ritchie or whatever that guy's name is who made the outrageous claim that he lets top level guys put him in RNC's all the time and not only can they not finish but he actually ends up submitting them but these rules are hands down superior to most BJJ tournament's.

I'm still not really sure what to think about Catch Wrestling as a viable grappling art or some of it's teachers like Boyd Ritchie or whatever that guy's name is who made the outrageous claim that he lets top level guys put him in RNC's all the time and not only can they not finish but he actually ends up submitting them but these rules are hands down superior to most BJJ tournament's.

Understood.
The person your thinking of is Tony C? I think I remember seeing what your talking about on his Lost Art of Hooking series. I've never been able to get anyone but a newer person to submit to it. But I have been able to use it as a delaying tactic or something to get them to move some. This helps me escape the position. But once the choke is sunk, it's pretty much all over for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back