Catch Wrestling United II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't see how that could help more than a modern MMA book.

It'd be more for historical interest / nostalgia. Funaki's book has some of the concepts and strategies he's learned as a figher, including his grounding in grappling by Karl Gotch.

how do you take someone down who is heavier than you. when i shoot in on heavier people i always get stuck when they sprawl on me. how do i avoid this?

Don't shoot from too far away. Try shooting when you can touch their head an arms length away.

The deeper penetration you can get the better. Imagine there's an imaginary pane of glass between their heels and you want to place a foot or knee beyond this.

With a deep penetration keep your head up and posture straight and upright. This makes it difficult to get sprawled on as you end up acting like a fulcrum if they do.

Consider a variation of a classic shot. Instead of coming in straight, come in at 45 degrees with your forehead hitting just under and to the side of their ribcage. Alternatively keep your head inside and aim to collapse their legs together (drive your shoulder into their near leg at their knee while pulling their far leg at the knee into you. If you can't reach the far leg or they move it out the way switch to a head-inside single leg finish).

i tried shooting from closer range and it works better but i keep having bad posture. i always slouch when i shoot in and that makes it easier for opponents to sprawl on me. how do i fix my posture? is their any drills that focus on posture?

Lots of great detail in that vid KJ!!

i tried shooting from closer range and it works better but i keep having bad posture. i always slouch when i shoot in and that makes it easier for opponents to sprawl on me. how do i fix my posture? is their any drills that focus on posture?

If I may humbly suggest....
If you have not had years of jr high, high school or collegiate wrestling training. Trying to master a single, double, or high crotch shot is going to pretty much be a waste of your time. This is a complex skill that takes hours and hours of practice to get accomplished at. Unless you can find a good coach and are willing to dedicate a substantial amount of time to training the shot you would do better to learn defensive takedowns to the shot, saultos, makikomis, hip throws, leg tackles, foot traps etc instead as a means of taking your opponent to the ground. If your shot is half assed you will only put yourself in jeopardy and a negative situation. If you comptete in a jacket you would do well to get Igor Kurinnoy's "Sambo for Professionals" and study those throws and takedowns.
just my 2 cents.

If I may humbly suggest....
If you have not had years of jr high, high school or collegiate wrestling training. Trying to master a single, double, or high crotch shot is going to pretty much be a waste of your time. This is a complex skill that takes hours and hours of practice to get accomplished at. Unless you can find a good coach and are willing to dedicate a substantial amount of time to training the shot you would do better to learn defensive takedowns to the shot, saultos, makikomis, hip throws, leg tackles, foot traps etc instead as a means of taking your opponent to the ground. If your shot is half assed you will only put yourself in jeopardy and a negative situation. If you comptete in a jacket you would do well to get Igor Kurinnoy's "Sambo for Professionals" and study those throws and takedowns.
just my 2 cents.

i wrestled 2 years in high school so i can finish a single, double, and high crotch. My biggest problem was always my bad posture. I was able to get away with it when I shot in on smaller guys but it never worked with bigger guys. Now im trying to fix it. Im going to practice taking my shots with a deeper penetration step and a better posture to see if I gain some improvement. Ill also look at some of those Sambo takedowns.

we don't have a HS & collegiate wrestling program, but if i can touch your forehead, i just take a really big step for penetration. works for me.

get yourself a good training partner and drill drill drill. my take down sucked but since i started to work with heavy right/creep. My take downs are so much better. also on a sad note the rhino gym is closed:icon_cry2

i wrestled 2 years in high school so i can finish a single, double, and high crotch. My biggest problem was always my bad posture. I was able to get away with it when I shot in on smaller guys but it never worked with bigger guys. Now im trying to fix it. Im going to practice taking my shots with a deeper penetration step and a better posture to see if I gain some improvement. Ill also look at some of those Sambo takedowns.

head up... back straight!

also it is more important to stay tight to the leg with good posture than it is to elevate.

Last edited:
Would love to see Miyata develop his submission game. That guy would be sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back