Catch Wrestling Instructionals?

I've already gave a try at the search function and I got nothing. Does anyone know if there are any good catch wrestling istructionals or books? (Don't tell me about how I should look for a instructor etc.. I already have there aren't any in my area)

Cecchines are the best on the subject available, Matt FUrey has some instructionals out there but I don't know how good they are.

Honestly, I don't think most of that catch stuff works. You have to be mad strong for a lot of it to work. Stick to BJJ. Some of the stuff works but I'd put my money on bread and butter BJJ.

flyingknee16 said:
Honestly, I don't think most of that catch stuff works. You have to be mad strong for a lot of it to work. Stick to BJJ. Some of the stuff works but I'd put my money on bread and butter BJJ.

Most of the positional stuff is great. And a lot of the holds can work, you just need to force them.

ps. don't listen to this guy, he promotes macs

I remember Joe Rogan and Eddie Bravo bagging on that stuff.

FiveByFive said:
Most of the positional stuff is great. And a lot of the holds can work, you just need to force them.

ps. don't listen to this guy, he promotes macs

Holds and submissions shouldn't have to be "forced". Are you saying you need to be stronger for the guy for it to work? Sure there are some things that you should be athletic for, and it always helps, but not everything should be forced.

I would like to try catch. Anythink you can add to your game will help you.

I admit the positional stuff is great. I can tap people out from my head and arm position simply by crushing them with weight. But soome of the subs are so whack, it feels like you are just trying to grab for anything and just yank or twist and try to sub them. Unless you are super strong and can muscle things well, I would stick to mainly BJJ while incoporating some of catch, but to be mainly a catch guy, I don't think it's a great idea.

btw, I have the cecchine dvds, so i come from a qualfied opinion.

flyingknee16 said:
I admit the positional stuff is great. I can tap people out from my head and arm position simply by crushing them with weight. But soome of the subs are so whack, it feels like you are just trying to grab for anything and just yank or twist and try to sub them. Unless you are super strong and can muscle things well, I would stick to mainly BJJ while incoporating some of catch, but to be mainly a catch guy, I don't think it's a great idea.

btw, I have the cecchine dvds, so i come from a qualfied opinion.

I know, I was just kidding around.

Catch requires forcing submissions, correct? You have to force mistakes.

Actually the best on the subject would be the fujiwara instructionals just re-released...

FiveByFive said:
I know, I was just kidding around.

Catch requires forcing submissions, correct? You have to force mistakes.

hehe, yeah dude, i know, i was just making a general statement.

Just get the Bas Big DVDs of Combat.

flyingknee16 said:

You know, alot of it does work.. I was over trianing with Leigh Remedios in the UK and he showed us some catch. Alot of it is very effective.

Maybe I haven't done enough of Catch to be able to fully recognize its potential... but I have some sort of "Catch" mentality I guess, since I do enjoy doing lots of neck cranks and I use unconvential kind of submissions that Bas rutten teaches. Or maybe that's just submission grappling...

When I see Saku in his prime his wily grappling it reminds me of some or wrestling with a strange twist, so I turned to "Catch" thanks for the advice guys.

The obvious answer here is "Grappling World: The Encyclopedia of Finishing Holds" by Gene Lebell. That book seriously probably has every catch wrestling move ever invented. I love it.

flyingknee16 said:
Okay Sakuraba is a Catch Wrestler but all the subs he did were mainly BJJ... I've never seen him use the "quasimodo" or the weird shin locks and neck cranks that a lot of catch guys like to use. Have you seen the subs that are on, well at least, Cecchine's DVDs (the world reknowned Hooker)? He uses subs that use TONs of power, and Sakuraba didn't use any of these subs. I can vouch that 90% of the subs I saw on the DVDs, Sak never used in an MMA bout or even used a variation of.

I really catch the flavor of what you're saying, and I kind of agree with you. I have the Cecchine set, and I have to say that his theories on positional dominance are a good add-on to a solid BJJ game. However, some of the submissions he shows are just stupid as hell.

Remember the one he does from the half guard position? You basically take your free leg and step all the way over their head. Then you try to twist them into a pretzel by scissoring your legs together. I could maybe get that on one of my kids.

Interesting ideas to say the least, but some of his ideas don't pan out in the wash...unless you're a big goon and your training partner is Barney Fife.

Oh, almost forgot...I really like his leg lock material.

Back