Catch Wrestling Instructionals?

He's at Chute Box, so he's doing everything they do, but I doubt he's going there for the grappling, even though he is participating in it.

it's all grappling man... btw when is the last time a "catch wrestler" competed in adcc. i'm not trying to diss the style, but it's not a real style just a fancy name for sub wrestling or nogi bjj

spiderguardman said:
it's all grappling man... btw when is the last time a "catch wrestler" competed in adcc. i'm not trying to diss the style, but it's not a real style just a fancy name for sub wrestling or nogi bjj

Some of the techniques are acutally a little more effective if you can pull it off. For instance, on the standard keylock, he proposes that you slightly twist the opponent's arm, and lock your figure four closes to your hand, rather than your wrist.

Also, the positioning, as others have mentioned, works really well.

Aesopian said:
He's taking BJJ now.

I've seen videos of him grappling and it looks like BJJ. He is a catch wrestler too, and he used to prevail over jiu jitsu guys because he had better takedowns and has a bag full of tricks.

Catch wrestling? wrestling is all about offence who can score.... its all about shooting bro

Adding Catchwrestling to your game will be a big plus. I've added and used a lot of Catch techniques to my BJJ/Grappling and it has made a big difference. You can find info. and tapes/DVDs available at http://www.catchwrestle.com.

Also, if you are ever in the San Diego area, drop me an email. I have mats at my place and would be glad to show you some of the Catchwrestling techniques.

[email protected]

Piper said:
Adding Catchwrestling to your game will be a big plus. I've added and used a lot of Catch techniques to my BJJ/Grappling and it has made a big difference. You can find info. and tapes/DVDs available at http://www.catchwrestle.com.

Also, if you are ever in the San Diego area, drop me an email. I have mats at my place and would be glad to show you some of the Catchwrestling techniques.

[email protected]

Thanks Mr. Cecchine :wink:

Woah I started this a week before I got banned, thanks for the advice guys. However I don't know what dvd to buy from the Erik Paulson or the Tony Cecchine, I wrestled in high school so I don't think the takedowns would add that much, any prescriptions?

Trust me dude. Erik Paulson is awesome. Anything he has out there is worth the dough.

I have both Cecchine's tapes and Paulson's. Both are worth getting.

Half the people who say the bought it actually downloaded them off a tracker.
I

Aesopian said:
He's taking BJJ now.
Since when? I know he went to Chute Boxe to improve his striking, but other than that he trains at Takada Dojo, one of the few schools that has legit Catch lineage. He doesn't practice BJJ, if you have a source post it.

Man, you guys dont know anything about Sakuraba do you? lol. I have been up on Sakuraba prior to him being in Pride. I need to up some of his UWFi matches. His matches with Kiyoshi Tamura where some of the best shoot works I have ever seen. Really quick mat work.

Sakuraba is a catch wrestler. Dont let them fool you. I can get in-depth if you'd like?

Check out Fujiwara's DVDs. Sakuraba has one of the best double wrist locks I have ever seen. One of the staple moves of Catch Wrestling. The move he beat alot of the Gracies with, need I remind you. His postioning is also nothing but Catch Wrestling. Sakuraba's wrestling is just overall very impressive. That sweep single he hits is just beautiful. Tony's DVDs are one side of Catch, the Japanese have their own flow as far as Catch goes. To base everything off of Tony's DVDs wouldnt be fair now would it? Tony's Catch background has major differences than Saku's. I know for a fact that Saku's lineage is legit, but its up for question wether Tony's is. I may dig up some of Saku's old pro wrestling matches, so you can really see him in action. His UWFi matches where crazy.

Sakuraba is nothing but pure wrestling. The wrestling that was dominate here in the US prior to the Freestyle/Greco-Roman explosion. Heck, without Catch, Freestyle wouldn't even exist.

Well if you say so, you probably know better than I. There are probably different lineages of catch, which to me means "alright, more stuff for me to learn". :D

This article on bjj.org is what got me to buy Tony

Back