Casual fans do not understand the diaz vs gsp fight

If your friends know Diaz lost his last fight and that Hendricks is on nice win streak they are not casuals but follow the sport.

Most Casual Fans don't know who is in the running to be the true number 1 contender. ( I am not saying Diaz is or isn't ) They hear G.S.P. is fighting and will tune in because of that or they have watched a Diaz highlight or fight at one time and seen his taunting and middle fingers and will tune in because of that.

Exactly what I thought. Diaz vs GSP is a fight for the casual fan and though it's a mismatch it'll pull in the numbers regardless.

Now THAT'S hypocritical to say the least. What about Diaz? Shouldn't he have to beat at least ONE top 10 fighter before getting a title shot? What fighter in the WHOLE MMA WW top 20 did he beat in the last 10 years? Penn? Damn that's borderline top 20 WW.

Who else? Well, who? When was the last time Nick even fought a wrestler? Last millenium? Hendricks has 2 top 5 WW wins and 1 top 10 win the last year alone. Nick, in his whole entire MMA career has never even come close to win against a top 10 guy. Ever.

Unless of course you want to put BJ Penn in the top 10 WW. Then by all means, Diaz is deserving. Look what he did to BJ Penn, one of the most successful WW ever! Spin it the way you want, Diaz has no wins in the top 10 WW in his whole MMA career.

Hell, the only times he had to opportunity to fight guys in the top 10, rumor has it he ran out the window, hide in his Honda and turned off his cellphone to be sure he wouldn't be found. The other time, he was easily outpointed and retired on a tantrum. Badass!

So let me rephrase it for you: "Diaz should be able to beat Ellenberger if he wants to beat GSP anyway". Like you said in your post, we know Diaz wouldn't be able to win, he would fall off the WW ladder and we would never get the GSP-Diaz matchup. Better do it now before Diaz falls below the .500 line...

Daley was top 10 or right on the edge when they fought if I remember correctly. You asked for top 20, he was def in that.

He lost in a TITLE ELIMINATOR to Kos by "wrestlefuck", then went on a 4 fight win streak. I know it was SF but you specifically said "all of MMA". Nick TKO'd him in one round.

Happy?

Sad for Hendricks but GSP vs Diaz is my dream fight so I don't care.

Tell them that hendricks won 2 close split decisions and should be 3-3 right now in his last 6, and diaz got fucked against condit and should be on a 12 fight win streak.

That does not make any sense

The only reason GSP vs Diaz is taking place is because it will do much more PPV buys than GSP vs Hendricks. That means that the casuals are much more interested in that fight than the Hendricks fight. Nobody knows Hendricks other than the hardcores.

Tell them the truth , Gsp requested this fight because he hates Diaz guts

In a perfect world Johnny would probably get the fight but its not a perfect world. Also if you look at it in a pure rankings system at the time of the Condit vs Diaz fight we had

GSP - 1
Condit and Diaz fighting for number 2

obviously after that fight

GSP - 1
Condit - 2
Diaz - 3

I realize the UFC doesn't really use a linear ranking system but its not hard to see Diaz getting the next shot even if coming off a loss. Also what makes this argument hard to make would be Diaz getting suspended but if you take into consideration that fact that Dana doesn't really think weed is a ped its not hard to see why Diaz isn't punished for it.

At the end of the day no matter what arguments are made this fight comes down to pure business, plain and simple.

Two people fighting for the #1 contender doesn't mean you end up with #2 and #3 fighters in that division though... it just means one of them will be #2.
This Hendricks scenario being the perfect example of why that is the case.
There is no way Diaz should be higher than Hendricks in any logical ranking system.

What a liar! All the casual fan I know know who Nick Diaz is! But no one knows about poor Johny

Tell them the truth , Gsp requested this fight because he hates Diaz guts

Do you really believe that?

I think that it has much more to do with getting an easy fat paycheck, and another big "name" on his record.

Well for alot of people condit vs diaz was a bad decision and also i find it weird that when he fought gomi and won he pissed hot and got a no contest. But when he lost and pissed hot its still a loss. I can see how someone can make a case for either side of the condit/diaz dec but fact of the matter is diaz is still ranked above hendricks though i think hendricks should get the next shot.
LMFAO at Diaz being ranked above Hendricks, go away troll.

Sherdog bitches a storm about how the UFC caters to he casual fan and ignores the hardcore fanbase. Then when the UFC makes a decision that favors the hardcore fans...Sherdog bitches.

Gotta love this place.

You win some you lose some.

He may lose some casual fans with this fight, but chances are he'll gain a hell of a lot more cause it's more marketable.

I don't agree.

Most casual fans only follow fighters as popular as GSP and Nick..so that's all they need to know about this fight.

They have actually heard of the guys fighting.

In a perfect world Johnny would probably get the fight but its not a perfect world. Also if you look at it in a pure rankings system at the time of the Condit vs Diaz fight we had

GSP - 1
Condit and Diaz fighting for number 2

obviously after that fight

GSP - 1
Condit - 2
Diaz - 3

This is how I explain it to newbs.

If they know who johnny hendrick's is, they're not casuals

Back