Casual fans do not understand the diaz vs gsp fight

Hendricks is more deserving, but UFC is a business, and GSP-Diaz will make a lot of money. Even though the fight is boring because GSP is clearly going to win, it will sell PPVs. You have to take the good with the bad. On average, the UFC cards nowadays are twice as good as they were a few years ago.

Hendricks is more deserving, but UFC is a business, and GSP-Diaz will make a lot of money. Even though the fight is boring because GSP is clearly going to win, it will sell PPVs. You have to take the good with the bad. On average, the UFC cards nowadays are twice as good as they were a few years ago.

How will GSP clearly win? it's a fight, you've probably not been in very many if you think that.

If they are fully aware of Hendricks standing and are actually thinking/care of why he's not getting the title shot over the more well known, popular, and marketable fighter then they are NOT casual fans.

GSP-Diaz is for the casual fan or hardcore fans like me who isnt totally concerned with where Hendricks ranks more than i want to see the fights i want to see...i prefer GSP-Diaz. That will reflect in the buyrates when it does better than GSP-Condit which GSP-Hendricks would fall short of.

This sums up most my thoughts on this post.

The only other thing that got me was when OP said "what am I supposed to tell them?". Are you Dana White? Tell them to fuck themselves and enjoy the fights they are given. It's not like you are a rep of the UFC, tell them Your opinion on the match you shouldn't have any reason to feel a need to justify what the UFC does to your friends.

If they know who johnny hendrick's is, they're not casuals

So only diehard MMA fans purchased GSP's last PPV which did an estimated 700K also featured a match where Hendricks won in a first round knockout?

Actually TS you have it all wrong. Casual fans like the idea of that fight because they know who Diaz is and it's a simple heel/ villain against the good guy/ hero.

This stuff attracts viewers. It's the people who are more then casual fans that know what the rankings are and who beat who last that know who the #1 contender is and that's who are getting mad at this fight happening

UFC will make the money fights at every single chance they can over giving a top contender a title shot. They will not pass up the opportunity and run the risk of missing out on doing the fight down the road. They feel these so called contenders will be there and gotten to in due time. Besides GSP has asked for the fight and that's all they needed to hear. Nuff said.

Dana White basically said because of what GSP has accomplished he can pretty much pick his own fights, he said something similar of Anderson. MMA is not like any other sport because there are no true ways of making rankings because there's so many possible outcomes ways to win and lose, unlike any other sport. GSP and Anderson winning as they have in this sport where one loss can make you never see a title shot again, I feel they deserve it, like Anderson said of Weidman the up and coming guys will eventually get their shot if they're good enough and can keep winning like the champs did.

Sure Hendricks deserves it; but MMA is more related to a sport like Boxing than the NFL, and in boxing they make fights that sale. Diaz sells better than Hendricks because more casuals know Diaz and don't know who the hell Hendricks is. I would relate Diaz-GSP more to Pacquaio-Mayweather than the Superbowl.

It's not hard to explain it. Hendricks has done enough to be the one to deserve it but GSP has never asked the UFC for anything before, despite being the biggest star, so they gave him this fight now that he asked for it.

It's of course also a marketable fight and Diaz is still a top 5 WW, as most of GSP's opponents have been.

I would have picked Hendricks to fight GSP but I'm fine with this anyway. Jones vs Sonnen is much worse since Sonnen comes from being a MW and Jones has already fought a MW. Time for Jones to fight the real LHW's.

I highly doubt your friends are as casual as you say at this point.

That said...I still have my doubts about Diaz the mass-market super draw with mega-Casual Appeal that people keep lifting him up as.

the diaz gsp fight is absolutely ridiculous and stylistically one of gsp's easiest fights as far as top 170's go.I will still anticipate the fight and all that but not like i'd anticipate the gsp hendricks fight.GSP like lay on nick for 5 rounds and diaz doesn't have dynomite in his hands to put gsp out it's a really easy pick imo and the fight makes no sense.This is a huge black eye for the ufc imo but it'll make a lot of money so I guess it's all good :/

I'm not either because I can't wait for GSP to dominate him. The only reason Diaz is getting this fight is because the fans want to see it. Does he deserve it? Hell no but he's been talking enough sh!t that he's going to get it. I think Condit is a bigger threat to GSP than Diaz and we all saw what GSP did to Condit

Yea.. He laid on him all night. Yawn.

I have noticed lately that a lot of my friends who are only casual fans of the ufc have a hard time comprehending why Hendricks is not getting a title shot. One friend in particular was in total disbelief saying "WTF, Diaz lost his late fight and Hendricks has been knocking everyone out, how the f*** does this make sense"?

What am I meant to say to them?, that the ufc is just all about the money and is not a legitimate sport?. Image if two teams made it to the NFL superbowl and then one team got told they can't play because they are not as popular as another team who missed out. It would be bullsh*t, which is pretty much what is happening now. I think Dana has given up on trying to justify the legitimacy of the UFC, especially with openly admitting that if Ronda loses they will most likely scrape the womans division.

Those don't sound like casual fans :icon_neut Either Australian casuals, are a lot more well-informed than their North American counterparts, or you are just trying to make some obtuse point about how the UFC lacks legitimacy because you personally disagree with their recent matchmaking. I'm of the opinion that people will buy a GSP PPV no matter who he is fighting because he is popular. Guess we will find out in March if things go as planned.

Back