Casual fans do not understand the diaz vs gsp fight

Tell them MMA is better run than boxing. Admittedly, that's not saying much.

Even so, let Hendricks fight Ellenberger and see who comes out on top. I like Kampmann way more than either of these two chemically enhanced wrestlers, but Ellenberger was pretty damn close to beating Kampmann in their fight. I guess what I'm saying is that it isn't very hard for me to see this as a valid contenders match. And let GSP have his Zuluzinho fight. It's not a coincidence that GSP is taking this fight less than four months after his last.

Fistic

Chemically enhanced? Tell me more

1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg

I have noticed lately that a lot of my friends who are only casual fans of the ufc have a hard time comprehending why Hendricks is not getting a title shot. One friend in particular was in total disbelief saying "WTF, Diaz lost his late fight and Hendricks has been knocking everyone out, how the f*** does this make sense"?

What am I meant to say to them?, that the ufc is just all about the money and is not a legitimate sport?. Image if two teams made it to the NFL superbowl and then one team got told they can't play because they are not as popular as another team who missed out. It would be bullsh*t, which is pretty much what is happening now. I think Dana has given up on trying to justify the legitimacy of the UFC, especially with openly admitting that if Ronda loses they will most likely scrape the womans division.

But the difference is between NFL and UFC is that NFL Superbowl is a year by year event. The championship isn't defined by a number or a year its all year round and can change hands at any time. In the end the best fighter will have the championship belt. GSP asked for this fight and he is the champion and has a say tell them that.

I'm gonna call BS on this one. Casual fans don't talk about Hendricks. They want to know when Chuck Liddell fights next.

Pretty much this. Couple of other posters mentioned it too. i.e discussing fights 3.5 months off, disputing legitmacy etc. Not the actions of casuals.
Troll thread

Hey I'm a condit fan but the fight with Nick was very close - I understand why he is getting the shot.

Hendricks 'deserves' it more on pure results but in terms of skill, beef and cashmoney Diaz is right there.

GSP 50-45 of course.

The GSP-Diaz fight is almost as pointless as Jones-Sonnen. We all know what is going to happen.

Actually, the casual fan is like, "who's Johnny Hendricks? He new to the UFC? Why's he getting a title shot? Nick Diaz I've seen a couple of times, he's the top contender now? Cool, I'll come over if you order it."

It's the real fans (and hardcore fanatics like you and I) that have a problem with this.

I cannot emphasise how badly i think GSP is going to Maul Diaz. It will resemble exactly what Henderson did to Nate.

Hendricks deserve it.
But I wanna see Diaz vs GSP so no complaints.

If they are fully aware of Hendricks standing and are actually thinking/care of why he's not getting the title shot over the more well known, popular, and marketable fighter then they are NOT casual fans.

GSP-Diaz is for the casual fan or hardcore fans like me who isnt totally concerned with where Hendricks ranks more than i want to see the fights i want to see...i prefer GSP-Diaz. That will reflect in the buyrates when it does better than GSP-Condit which GSP-Hendricks would fall short of.

This.

Casual fans don't have any idea which fighter is in contention outside of what Joe Rogan tells them.

The causal fans I know, which are also my close friends, only know who Johny Hendricks is because I talk about him. I keep them informed enough that my fight nights are still conversational.

What does being a casual fan have to do with this? It's a matter of opinion. The other argument is backed up by logic and the other one by emotion. Have your pick, UFC had theirs.

Hendricks deserves it and after GSP easily UDs Diaz hell likely fight Hendricks who will be coming off another impressive T/KO over Ellenberger...

casual fans dont give a shit who is fighting. just wana see sumone bleed!!!

My friends who are casual MMA fans don't know who Hendricks is and are all super excited about Diaz vs GSP.

All my casual friends actually know who diaz is, whereas hendricks is johnny who.

Most Casual Fans don't know who is in the running to be the true number 1 contender. ( I am not saying Diaz is or isn't ) They hear G.S.P. is fighting and will tune in because of that or they have watched a Diaz highlight or fight at one time and seen his taunting and middle fingers and will tune in because of that.

The only reason I'm okay with this fight is that it is the only way we'll see GSP-Diaz, Nick is going to go .500 if he starts fighting the WW top-10. Hendricks should be able to beat Ellenberger if he wants to beat GSP anyway.

Now THAT'S hypocritical to say the least. What about Diaz? Shouldn't he have to beat at least ONE top 10 fighter before getting a title shot? What fighter in the WHOLE MMA WW top 20 did he beat in the last 10 years? Penn? Damn that's borderline top 20 WW.

Who else? Well, who? When was the last time Nick even fought a wrestler? Last millenium? Hendricks has 2 top 5 WW wins and 1 top 10 win the last year alone. Nick, in his whole entire MMA career has never even come close to win against a top 10 guy. Ever.

Unless of course you want to put BJ Penn in the top 10 WW. Then by all means, Diaz is deserving. Look what he did to BJ Penn, one of the most successful WW ever! Spin it the way you want, Diaz has no wins in the top 10 WW in his whole MMA career.

Hell, the only times he had to opportunity to fight guys in the top 10, rumor has it he ran out the window, hide in his Honda and turned off his cellphone to be sure he wouldn't be found. The other time, he was easily outpointed and retired on a tantrum. Badass!

So let me rephrase it for you: "Diaz should be able to beat Ellenberger if he wants to beat GSP anyway". Like you said in your post, we know Diaz wouldn't be able to win, he would fall off the WW ladder and we would never get the GSP-Diaz matchup. Better do it now before Diaz falls below the .500 line...

Back